GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CAPPELLI) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by steveyoo1983, Jun 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ino68

ino68 Senior member

Dainite is rock hard on your feet at first, but will eventually soften up quite a bit. I find my Dainite soles just a tad less comfortable than leather. The fact that they will survive a soaking is priceless though!

2. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Interesting. Carmina doesn't actually use Dainite, they use their own version. I found it super comfortable after a few minutes.

3. diadem

diadem Senior member

Well, Steve said it would be a thin profile Dainite sole, so hopefully it wouldn't look heavy and chunky. I agree that the shoe should look sleek and dressy, and between the Tomir and the Dainite (or Carmina's version of it), I was originally going to say to go with whatever is thinner, but MSchapiro's post has me thinking again about the potential for this shoe to be a great foul-weather shoe. If the thin profile Dainite doesn't add too much heft to the shoe, that's what I want.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

4. ElliottN

ElliottN Active Member

if only carmina did something similar to the EG R1 sole. If the thin danite looks as sleek as that then i'm in for danite as well.

EG R1 sole (plagarised from the skoaktiebolaget thread):
    [​IMG]

Also, could anyone comment on the effect of wet weather on the centre of the tomir sole (i.e. the leather portion) and whether that has caused any problems? Thanks!

5. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I am pretty sure its not some heavy chunky dainite sole. If its the same thats on my rain lasted cordovan boots then its safe to say its fairly thin.

Again I prefer dainite but I am happy with tomir if thats the majority.

But lets get this ball going so we can actually have it in time for wet weather

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Leather also survives perfectly well in wet weather. Especially when it belongs to iGent darlings who have twenty pairs of shoes in regular rotation and gets tried on trees thoroughly between uses. (I know how many of you are thinking "only twenty?", with horrified frowns on your carefully moisturised foreheads - me too).

Personally I can't abide those two-part soles in any form. And I'd only have gone for this shoe with all leather, as it's a dress shoe style to me, not a country brogue - despite the interesting texture. I think it would be fine on a double sole, with or without Dainite, and a storm welt, if it were a derby or even just a full brogue, perhaps with eyelets or whatever. But as it is, with the chiseled last, oxford structure and restrained punched captoe, I find the storm welt and plastic incongruous: it's not about the depth of the sole alone, it's the function: given that leather performs very well as an all-weather sole, I always think of non-breathing plastic substitutes as for rough-handling boots and the like only, at the other end of the spectrum.

Anyway, GMTOs are a democracy. I'll go sit in the corner with the Greens and the Communists.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

7. Roger la Rock

Roger la Rock Senior member

Never quite understood the benefit of the leather and rubber combination soles. The aesthetic compromise of Topy with few of the advantages. Unlike a Topy, the stitching is exposed to wear, and what happens once the sole needs replacing?

8. appoooh

appoooh Senior member

I have the Tomir sole on a pair of
    Skoaktiebolaget u-wings and I think they cheapen the look of the shoe. Unlike Dainite, the Tomir doesn't provide any structural support. Basically it's a stitched on topy.

Dainite seems the most appropriate sole for this boot followed by double leather.

9. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

I'd disagree with you on that. I find wet leather to start to degrade very very quickly and become slippery on smooth surfaces (ex. the banks where a handful of SF members work).

10. Burton

Burton Senior member

Mimo, I could not agree with you more. Well said.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

To be fair, Mr Schapiro has a point about the rate of wear. But again, in perspective, part of our justification of "proper" shoes is that we can re-sole them from time to time.

12. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Burton [​IMG]
    Mimo, I could not agree with you more. Well said.
    So you'll go sit in the corner with the Greens and the Communists, too? :D Just kidding. At any rate, it looks like this GTMO is drumming up a lot of interest, enough to satisfy 2 different GTMO's, so Steve can put together one order with the Dainite sole and the other with the leather sole. Everyone is happy.

13. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

14. diadem

diadem Senior member

Yeah, I'm not feeling the storm welt either. I'd ideally just want the thin Dainite sole without the storm welt.

15. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

Should everyone rank their choices?

1. Dainite
    2. Tomir

Deal breakers - leather sole, storm welt.