GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CAPPELLI) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by steveyoo1983, Jun 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bertel

Bertel Senior member

Hey! [​IMG]

I have confirmed to Steve already. Don't know who hasn't. Steve obviously would know.

2. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

We could try the cesspool that is reddit MFA

3. Burton

Burton Senior member

I, too, can confirm Carmina will do an Adelaide on the Rain last. As to Dainite, I am just not that big a fan of the sole. It isn't a great sole for snow and ice --in fact it is pretty bad in both. It is good for rain and mud. I don't walk in mud, and I have more than enough Dainite to handle a biblical amount of rain. I prefer to put my swims on and wear real shoes. Anyway, I just think Dainite detracts so much from the final product that I would not want it.

4. diadem

diadem Senior member

I see. Well, I guess what I'm looking for in this shoe is a shoe that I can wear to work in bad weather and have it still look appropriate for the office. I don't like wearing sneakers or clunky boots during my commute and changing into dress shoes at the office because 1.) I think it looks really weird wearing business casual casual/business formal attire all the way down to your ankles and then you've got super casual kicks on your feet (I see too many people walking around like this in NYC and the OCD side of me just dies a little every time) and 2.) I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my nice shoes sitting under my desk at the office. I know galoshes are another idea, but I'd rather avoid those if possible. If you can recommend a sole other than Dainite that you think works better, I'm all ears.

With all that said, though, if enough people are in on this potential GTMO with the leather sole, I'll still commit. I can always get them topied, I guess.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  5. Burton

Burton Senior member

You don't have any experience with Swims, do you? I don't own sneakers. I wear clunky boots only to hike. In Chicago galoshes are de rigueur. Have you seen the scotch grain boot that Steve has available on his website? Perfect for what you are looking to use the shoes for. Also, can be worn, especially on a harsh weather day, with a suit. Awesome looking boot. I am severely tempted. Oh, and the best thing, they are on the Rain last.

[​IMG]

That boot is pretty close to perfect. :)

For me, oxfords should have leather soles. The grain makes it a more casual shoe, but not so much that it becomes equivalent to a blucher for me.

6. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I'm trying to pimp this out to everyone I know

7. aglose

aglose Senior member

Can someone send me a PM with the price for the cxl MTO? How hard is cxl to take care of as far as wearing in winter snow?

8. golfinz

golfinz Senior member

Only Steve at GF knows the price. As for cxl, here is a link about it:

http://horween.com/101/chromexcel-2/

It's going to be a kickass boot

9. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

10. laufer

laufer Senior member

11. aglose

aglose Senior member

Thanks guys! How tall is the shaft on a jumper boot? I'm going between this MTO, the AE shell Eagle County MTO and getting a C&J snowdon/Islay. The C&J boots are much more expensive, I could get the shell boots for $650 and the Snowdon is about $800. Not sure if the price of the carmina order yet, but I love Steve and have grown quite attached to carmina as a manufacturer (great value for money in my opinion)

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

A big +1 to all of that.

13. laufer

laufer Senior member

It will be cheaper than shell boots, shaft is tall, it covers above ankle.

14. diadem

diadem Senior member

Thanks, but boots in general just don't suit me. The restricted range of motion afforded to my feet, no matter how loose I lace them up, bothers me.

Like I said before, if everyone else wants leather sole for the shoe, I'm fine with it. Will probably just get them topied at some point in time.

15. aglose

aglose Senior member

The question is how much cheaper. If it's only $100 or so, then I'd probably go for the shell AE eagle County in brown cordovan. But I'd also probably prefer the cxl height, so it's all up in the air right now. I think I'm going to cross out the C&J options due to price.
    Edit:how's the Oscar last fit in comparison to soller? I have an 8uk soller and I have an 8uk rain last boot coming as well, so I don't know how that will fit quite yet.