• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CROCKETT & JONES) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine too, though I'll have to wait until Sunday night to get them. Very psyched but a bit concerned I should have sized down half. Fingers crossed!

Well my forest last cordovan boots are very comfortable by after a few hours they become painful. I'm excited to try these bad boys. Plus worst case throw on some thicker socks

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Steve, I have penny loafers on the Rain last and Carmina made (after some cajoling) burgundy shell cordovan tassel loafers on the rain last for me. I am sure they would do these---if asked correctly.

Well done Burton! They are exquisite! Thank you for posting this!
I'd definitely be interested in a loafer on the Rain last
I will definitely report back next week when Betty comes back in the office :)

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had same issue with my carmina inca monk straps, but I was standing at a party for about 5 hours so that probably didn't help

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there any way that you've gotten around this? I have the same issue.

I had same issue with my carmina inca monk straps, but I was standing at a party for about 5 hours so that probably didn't help

Im on my feet for 6-10 hours every day so its after my feet are tired. The top of my foot is where the pressure is and I believe thats the instep. Nothing really I can do. If I know Im gonna be sitting ill wear them which sucks because they are so beautiful.

konda

Reaction score
What I've done with my Simpson and Uetam suede shoes is this:

- Put two insoles in the shoe (one if two is too much)
- Stuff a very tight ball of cloth (a sock for example) all the way to the tip of the toebox. This stretches the tip. Very useful especially in the Simpson as it is a chiseled toe. Make sure the cloth is a very tight ball and covers the whole tip.
- Shove in a shoe tree by applying slight force. The shoe will not break.
- Apply direct heat with a hairdryer. Heat stretches the suede.
- Leave be for 24 hours.

This way you can stretch the toe box if it is too small. You can also increase the physical length of the shoe slightly as the shoe is being stretched from the heel.

Do not freeze your shoes. This is BS and you will just f*ck up your shoes.

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What I've done with my Simpson and Uetam suede shoes is this:

- Put two insoles in the shoe (one if two is too much)
- Stuff a very tight ball of cloth (a sock for example) all the way to the tip of the toebox. This stretches the tip. Very useful especially in the Simpson as it is a chiseled toe. Make sure the cloth is a very tight ball and covers the whole tip.
- Shove in a shoe tree by applying slight force. The shoe will not break.
- Apply direct heat with a hairdryer. Heat stretches the suede.
- Leave be for 24 hours.

This way you can stretch the toe box if it is too small. You can also increase the physical length of the shoe slightly as the shoe is being stretched from the heel.

Do not freeze your shoes. This is BS and you will just f*ck up your shoes.

I don't know, but for me, this seems like too much work to wear shoes which really don't fit. Not every shoe is meant to be worn by every person. I struggle with slip ons, so I had Carmina makeup those shoes for me above on the Rain last. People should focus more on fit and less on the look. Look at how many lasts The top makers have, there is a reason why they make so many different shapes.

Last edited:

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know, but for me, this seems like too much work to wear shoes which really don't fit. Not every shoe is meant to be worn by every person. I struggle with slip ons, so I had Carmina makeup those shoes for me above on the Rain last. People should focus more on fit and less on the look. Look at how many lasts The top makers have, there is a reason why they make so many different shapes.

I can't agree more if the last is not right for you move on to something else that fits.

konda

Reaction score
I agree with this. In defense these were the first pairs of Simpson and Uetam I bought so I didn't know better. Luckily they work just ok after stretching. If they were calf, I'd sell them.

Personally I have a low, narrow foot with a low instep, so some compromises simply have to be made to make shoes such as loafers and monks work. Otherwise I'd have nothing else than AE 5-65 lasted shoes and that would not make my collections too versatile. So the only way is to adapt to some shoes is by using insoles, tongue pads or stretching them a little. I think this is something that many people with ideal feet simply don't understand. I can promise you that with a narrow, long, low instep foot it is extremely hard to find shoes that fit just perfectly.

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with this. In defense these were the first pairs of Simpson and Uetam I bought so I didn't know better. Luckily they work just ok after stretching. If they were calf, I'd sell them.

Personally I have a low, narrow foot with a low instep, so some compromises simply have to be made to make shoes such as loafers and monks work. Otherwise I'd have nothing else than AE 5-65 lasted shoes and that would not make my collections too versatile. So the only way is to adapt to some shoes is by using insoles, tongue pads or stretching them a little. I think this is something that many people with ideal feet simply don't understand. I can promise you that with a narrow, long, low instep foot it is extremely hard to find shoes that fit just perfectly.

Sorry, wasn't meant as a specific criticism of anyone. For me, I cannot wear the EG 202 last. I wish I could as there are a few shoes which I would like to have on that last. This also rules me out on the 184 (loafer last) and their 606 which are all that same shape. I have learned the hard way to stick with lasts that fit. When I asked Betty to make a pair of tassels on the Rain she wasn't terribly enthusiastic--it isn't their tassel last. I think they turned out great, but they do not have the look of traditional tassel loafers. More important, however, they fit well.

Last edited:

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally agree, but often have ended up with a pair that doesn't fit and I'd have to take a decent loss to sell (especially in a size 6UK). In those cases, or if another last is not offered, it can be worth it.

My feet went through hell to get a pair of Uetem suede loafers to fit, but in the end they became very comfortable and I enjoy wearing them. I'd never do it again, but good to know for next time in case I get a deal I can't pass up on a pair.

aldenwear

Reaction score

+1. these clothes are way too expensive to get things that don't fit. It makes no sense.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have learned the hard way to stick with lasts that fit.

Listen to the this man people. He is a treasure of wisdom and common sense. When I said that $1500 bespoke shoe is better than $1500 RTW I got SF style spanking for my statement. I too learned the hard way a lesson about the fit. In my case it was lasts EG 82 and 888. They seemed to fit when tried them at Brooks Brothers store but after I wore them for few hours I realized they were hurting my feet.
Burton also paid 50% premium to get what he wants and what fits him. He puts his foot where his mouth is.
But if anyone wants to suffer a little bit for the sake of style and fashion, that is your choice, just be honest about it.

Last edited:

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I have 3 pairs of CJ shoes that I can't wear at all. So let's call that a 1000$ lesson for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads