GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CAPPELLI) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by steveyoo1983, Jun 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

What do you guys use for polishing the navy shell? Is there a navy polish made for shell cordovan?

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I mostly use Mac method, supplemented by the occasional application of Saphir cordovan cream and a light touch of navy shoe polish.

3. konda

konda Senior member

Saphir Renovateur. TMM is a PITA.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

4. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Isn't that lacking color?

5. Burton

Burton Senior member

I have always found the Mac method (which really should be called the Horween method since it is what they suggest) is easy after the first good shine. I can shine my SC shoes in about 1/3 of the time as calf.

6. konda

konda Senior member

In my opinion there is no need for any color in an SC polish. I also have Saphir's SC polish (which is burgundy in color) but really see no additional value in it. The shoes look the same i.e color gets me nowhere.

I use a very thin coat of Renovateur, let dry for approx 30 minutes and polish with stockings. The shine I get from that suffices as I feel shell shoes don't need to shine the way calf shoes do.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

7. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

[​IMG]

Guys Steve and I were talking about having this made up in another last (undecided) in snuff suede. Great spring/summer style for sure! Any takers on something like that?

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

TaxGenius: I have found that Renovateur alone leaves shell too try. My method is similar to Roger's in that I use Saphir cordovan cream on occasion to moisturize. In between applications, I wipe down with a damp cloth and brush. The Saphir cordovan cream results in a nice shine, but some go an additional step of putting a little paste wax on the toe for even more shine.

As to your questions on adding color back in, I tend to use the neutral cordovan cream so as to not alter the original color. I have not found it necessary to add color back in.

9. konda

konda Senior member

^ I've not seen this happen on my AEs and feel Reno keeps the SC in quite nice condition. In between applications I do the same: wipe clean (I use quite a lot of force to really clean all spots off) and then brush - alto I do the brushing with stockings to instantly bring out the shine.

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah outside of Alden I rarely use reno on shell anymore, maybe 1-2x a year max. Always the cordovan creme though

11. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Sorry for the derail, but I used Reno on shell for the first time the other night. I was expecting the shell to feel different afterwards, but it didn't. I didn't use a lot and I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to.

12. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

I might be a taker. I actually have that shoe and like that last. What last were you thinking?

13. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Not entirely sure of the last just yet. I just cant do the simpson its too narrow for me. Was thinking a slightly wider or rounder last

14. konda

konda Senior member

justin how is the Alcudia for your feet?