• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, of style and substance, I need a bag

feabt6

Reaction score
... and I don't just mean any bag.

Waxed Canvas. Brushed Cotton. I'm talking McQueen meets safari. Dark green/khaki. WWII meets LL Bean. Khaki meets the look of that worn in leather couch in your grandfather's hunting cabin. Filson meets the torro. I don't need a technical fabric - I'm not climbing K2 and don't want to look like it either.

Something less military inspired, more safari (but no leather strap buckles or gaudy side packets). I don't want the free rucksack from the Sierra Club. Serious zippers and velcro are perfect. Easy in, easy out.

I'm a big guy, I carry a significant amount in my bag. The only problem with that is, I have yet to find a reliable bag that can hold all my stuff, and not rip where the shoulder strap meets the end of it. My Hartman fell victim to this. So did my Piel. Also, some functional wrap-around straps with double-stitching would do wonders for durability. You know the one...

Something bigger than the "banker's bag," but not so big that it looks like I can fit a pair of shoulder pads and a helmet circa my college football days (you know the look, where the shoulder strap is too long, and the bag looks bent in half). I need a go to, for everything. Carry my gym stuff to work, then emptied out with my boat shoes, shorts, 3 tshirts, and a pair of flip flops for the Hamptons trip.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

eVITAERC

Reaction score
1.jpg

http://www.archivalclothing.com/2010...available.html

I've been eyeing this one for a while.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm stupefied this topic has never come up before.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feabt6
I'm talking McQueen meets safari.
Do you mean the late Queeny McStud?

feabt6

Reaction score
I guess I should have clarified - I'm talking duffels. Anything with wheels need not apply.

I like the durability and "shape" of the Red Oxx line - www.redoxx.com - and will probably own one when it comes time for my cash flow to catch up to my travel ambitions, but in the midst of my mid-20s, I need something more versatile on form and function on the streets of NYSizzle. Plus, their lines and weight are more fitting for actual bushwhacking, not casual trips back to Maine or the North Fork...

such a big part of city life, I'm shocked as well this has not arisen...

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Filson. Try the Crane's affiliate link. If you don't know what either is, then you haven't used the search feature on this site.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest you do some searches on line for Porter bags from Japan. They have a very broad range of styles made from traditional leather and canvas to leather and nylon to all synthetic. They are big on function and usually do multiple sizes of the more popular styles. I'm not too keen on the ones that Monocle sells (just my preference). They look a bit stark and light to my eye. But with Porter there are numerous options.

Here is a link. Click on a few of the different bag icons along the top. http://www.ace-company.net/~coolcat/...php?item=brief

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

feabt6

Reaction score
+1 on Filson's - however that ignores the cost-efficiency portion of the post.

I'm not looking to pay solely for brand, as most SF'ers aren't, so my thoughts are that with this collection of knowledge here someone has to know of a mom and pop operation tucked away in the Mountain West that is locally known for the cost-effective craftsmanship I'm looking for. Nothing against Filson, but something has me thinking that I could find what I'm looking for in the sub $175 range.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but waxed canvas/cotton shouldn't have the cost associated with leather...

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Feat, my guess is that you didn't look at Cranes. Several choices for close to your price.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Click pic to learn about special care that might be needed.

- B

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PeterMetro

Reaction score
On a lark, I stopped in an Army/Navy store in NYC a month ago and picked up a canvas helmet bag in green. I get compliments on it once a week - people think it's some sort of hip designer jam, but in fact it cost 20 bucks.

The main pocket holds a laptop, notebook and a change of clothes very comfortably, and the two outer pockets provide easy access to your cell phone or whatever.

Looks like this:

40101.jpg

cbird

Reaction score
Maybe something from the Duluth Pack company would work for you. They offer several models of handmade canvas bags and most of them feature some leather features and are much less expensive than Filson's. There is also the Hulme company in Minneapolis with similar, but less outdoorsy stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads