• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentleman's pocket knife

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like with all of my estate sale shopping I do, I should be more educated on knives. Any brands you guys recommend keeping an eye out for, and what are signs of quality and value?

Thanks in advance!

PS, I don't dress CM very often, I just have a basic tactical black kershaw that works great for my needs. Looks fine with jeans and I like the wear marks it's putting in my gustins haha.
I wish I could be more helpful but my experience is very limited. However I think it would be rather helpful if you were to tell us a bit more about the type of knife you were looking for, purpose and budget. Also if you were thinking strictly production knife, midtech, or custom.

joshmick

Reaction score
I wish I could be more helpful but my experience is very limited. However I think it would be rather helpful if you were to tell us a bit more about the type of knife you were looking for, purpose and budget. Also if you were thinking strictly production knife, midtech, or custom.
Oh like I said, it would actually be for estate sale shopping. Just wondering what are some general signs of quality, or some brands to look out for. I am happy with my kershaw for my personal collection.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh like I said, it would actually be for estate sale shopping. Just wondering what are some general signs of quality, or some brands to look out for. I am happy with my kershaw for my personal collection. 

Yes unfortunately a little out of my league. Hopefully someone will pop in and be able to be of some help. I might also suggest checking out one of the knife forums such as BladeForums as you might be able to get some helpful knowledge there.

alford78

Reaction score

It's quite refined in person and not all that large either. Very beautiful stingray inlay and the blade if crazy sharp and meant to stay sharp. Comes in many sizes and designs as well. Will be one of my next non custom hand mades. I just have my name on too many books right now for customs.

I really want a Richard Rogers "Sarpy, Shorty, or Chunky" looks just like a pen when in shirt pocket lol
http://richardrogersknives.com/models/

His other offerings are nice too but the Sharpy series is just so unique!

Made a trade for a Rogers Chuby in carbon with bearing (new style) this weekend. Had been searching for two years and am on his back log list.

Traded a Nell ESG custom that just got in Decemeber for it. Oh well. I waited on the ESG for nearly a year and now it's gone before I even carried it.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Made a trade for a Rogers Chuby in carbon with bearing (new style) this weekend. Had been searching for two years and am on his back log list.

Traded a Nell ESG custom that just got in Decemeber for it. Oh well. I waited on the ESG for nearly a year and now it's gone before I even carried it.

Congrats!!

I look forward to seeing some pictures when you actually get it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't understand why people carry pocket knives. Please enlighten me.

I tend to agree with this. A multi-tool makes sense. Not just a knife.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Multi tools tend to be a little more bulky to carry in a pocket. I use a true small knife for opening the occasional box, cutting a rope/plastic, etc. I couldnt imagine carrying anything much larger than it is in my actual pocket.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are some very small multi-tools on the market. Ones that a doubt would take up much more space then your knife, maybe even less depending on what model you are talking about.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah I carry a small multi-tool in my bag. Can't say I use it much, but it's good to have around if I need it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The nice thing about the smaller Leatherman Multi Tools is there are people who refurbish them and sell them super cheap on Ebay. I've bought a few over time and never had issue with any of them. They come tightened up, oiled and sharpened. It's great for having a spare or being able to leave one in your car for emergency use.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads