1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gentleman's pocket knife

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jfrater, Feb 4, 2015.

1. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

2. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I usually alternate between a Benchmade 530 or a Kershaw Ken Onion Chive. Neither are particularly elegant (at least in the way I think OP meant) but both are small and flat and (most importantly) light enough that they don't feel weird when wearing dress pants. I keep both razor sharp and they are very useful for boring day-to-day cutting tasks.

3. CocaCola007

CocaCola007 New Member

this is the knife I carry. I've been using it for a long time and my best buddy also bought the same knife. mostly I love the great handling and the fact its quite small.

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

The blade on this one is just stunning in person. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. juncopardner

juncopardner Member

[​IMG]

Kabar MOP half-congress, c. 1950. This was my grandfather's and now it's my edc along with one other. This is an ideal gent's knife IMO: simple, lightweight, non-threatening, and easy on the eyes.

1 person likes this.
  6. juncopardner

juncopardner Member

Cool knife, but definitely not a gentleman's knife. A gent's knife in this day and age is basically any knife you can carry that wont cause you to get tackled, tased, and shackled if you take it out in public.

2 people like this.
  7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

With some of the other ones pictured in this thread you chose this one to make those comments. What, really? LOL

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  8. juncopardner

juncopardner Member

Haha, it was just most convenient one to tag. It's definitely less intimidating than some, but still way too "tactical" for social occasions IMO.

You couldn't take that sucker out in a restaurant to cut an errant piece of string from your coat without causing a panic. That's the domain of the gent's knife.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

what are the deets on that knife, brand, cost...

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Its a Rockstead Chi with duralumin handles and stingray inlays in the ZDP189 mirror blade version. Its also available in a YXR7 DLC blade version. If you google Rockstead knives you should be able to find a few vendors in the states that sell them although they have a pretty limited amount that they sell in the states every year. If your really interested you should also check out their website to give you a better idea as to what they are all about. They are a bit on the pricey side, although for knives it's all relative and there are more expensive ones out there. The blades on these things are simply amazing.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Just ordered this one. I hope to have it as early as July or as late as the end of August.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  12. alford78

alford78 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I really want one of their knives. The steel has me just as interested as their designs. I'm big into both Every Day Carry and Kitchen knives so this thread is right up my ally.

Some of my rotating knives depending on attire of course. Mainly carry my modded Chris Reeve small Sebenza Sheepsfoot and the small or large Hinderers. But all the hand mades are great but some stay put up since not worth using with today's pricing on them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the kitchen magic. Just started with these and yes I've been cutting citrus lol. Only looks as they stay sharp with my Edge Pro[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. alford78

It's quite refined in person and not all that large either. Very beautiful stingray inlay and the blade if crazy sharp and meant to stay sharp. Comes in many sizes and designs as well. Will be one of my next non custom hand mades. I just have my name on too many books right now for customs.

I really want a Richard Rogers "Sarpy, Shorty, or Chunky" looks just like a pen when in shirt pocket lol
    http://richardrogersknives.com/models/

[​IMG]

His other offerings are nice too but the Sharpy series is just so unique!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Nice collection.

I haven't been purchasing knives for very long, actually only a couple of months now but for some reason they just spoke to me. Hence the reason I have the Shu on order now. I've been considering the Higo with Ironwood handles as well, but the knife is a bit larger than what I prefer.

15. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

I feel like with all of my estate sale shopping I do, I should be more educated on knives. Any brands you guys recommend keeping an eye out for, and what are signs of quality and value?

Thanks in advance!

PS, I don't dress CM very often, I just have a basic tactical black kershaw that works great for my needs. Looks fine with jeans and I like the wear marks it's putting in my gustins haha.

16. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I wish I could be more helpful but my experience is very limited. However I think it would be rather helpful if you were to tell us a bit more about the type of knife you were looking for, purpose and budget. Also if you were thinking strictly production knife, midtech, or custom.

17. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

Oh like I said, it would actually be for estate sale shopping. Just wondering what are some general signs of quality, or some brands to look out for. I am happy with my kershaw for my personal collection.

18. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yes unfortunately a little out of my league. Hopefully someone will pop in and be able to be of some help. I might also suggest checking out one of the knife forums such as BladeForums as you might be able to get some helpful knowledge there.

19. alford78

Made a trade for a Rogers Chuby in carbon with bearing (new style) this weekend. Had been searching for two years and am on his back log list.

Traded a Nell ESG custom that just got in Decemeber for it. Oh well. I waited on the ESG for nearly a year and now it's gone before I even carried it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  20. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Congrats!!

I look forward to seeing some pictures when you actually get it.