Gentleman's pocket knife

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jfrater, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Josh King

Josh King Member

I carry a Spyderco Starmate that my brother in law bought me. Check them out, I really like it.

2. Josh King

Josh King Member

I enjoy collecting unique knives. I have quite a collection. While browsing around look what I found. It's a lipstick knife. I am going to buy for my wife!

[​IMG]

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015

4. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

I have a beautiful Case tuxedo knife with lapis scales.
    I believe they are so named because when they are opened they sorta look like a bow tie. I carry mine on formal occasions in my pocket so it wouldn't make a difference if I was wearing a tuxedo or not, as no one would see it unless and until it comes out to perform some task.

5. suited

suited Senior member

Nope, I'm just aware that he's not here to understand anything, he's just trolling.

6. powerkicker

powerkicker Senior member

It was easier to spear the chicken pieces and greens with my knife than scoop them on a spoon. I'm sure it looked insane to any onlookers who may have seen me eating while parked elsewhere.

7. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

Not at all.

It was an entirely innocent question.

My tone changed when I got that idiotic response.

I fully support the notion.

8. Dandy Wonka

"Aware" of that are you Sherlock?

How about you look through my posts before you try to label me a troll? It was a genuine question.

I'll give you a fact.

I was in Double Monk in Melbourne recently and considered buying one of the knives they have there. In the end I didn't because I didn't think I would use it. Hence the question.

Elementary.

9. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

He said you were trolling, not that you're a troll. Your desert island comment sure made it seem like it you were. Glad you've clarified though.

I haven't carried a pocket knife since TSA started confiscating them. Before that I kept a Wenger pocket tool chest or Leatherman micra in my bag, and they were very useful. Wenger makes, or made (TSA's change hit them hard, so they were bought by Victorinox in '05 and discontinued in '13) a TSA compliant version I've thought of getting but don't because I imagine it'd just be confiscated too. I don't really miss carrying one, but it is an interesting change. When I was a kid, it seemed like everyone had a knife of some type, but we only really used them on hikes. Iirc, my first was a Barlow given by a great uncle when I was 8 or so. One of my friends had some familial connection to Cold Steel and he had a lot of knives. Another friend's dad was ex-military and collected all kinds of dangerous things...

10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

11. suited

suited Senior member

I've yet to run across someone who comes into a knife or firearm thread and asks "why do you carry this" without having the intention of derailing the thread. Your response about the desert island justifies my point. I think it's obvious why someone would carry a knife - they're either using it as a cutting tool, self defense, or both. What other reason were you looking for?
    I think it a daily carry blade should have a thumb hole, and I would assume that would kill the elegance factor for most people, but I could be wrong.

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Cheers Fred. No, never tried my hand at a folder - I'm really a fixed blade guy at heart. Much respect for those who do folders, well, though. A lot of precision required.

If that's your preference that's fine - you certainly have a lot of company as Spyderco has made the design feature a trademark of their very popular knives. But I don't see it as a generalized requirement. The thumb hole assists in the rapid one-handed deployment of the blade - which matters for a knife carried as a weapon, but not for one carried as a tool. THE traditional American pocket knife is the slipjoint folder - and I've never seen one with a thumb hole.

13. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

I'm among those who think the holes are ugly. Much rather a nail nick, thumb stud, thumb disk, or flipper. Haven't tried a wave.

14. Dandy Wonka

My desert island response was in direct response to your unnecessarily patronising response. Had you been able to restrain yourself it wouldn't have happened.

I was interested to know what people use them for. As in, examples. I got them and I get it.

15. motosacto

motosacto Well-Known Member

I used to always carry a Swiss Army knife and a mini mag light in my briefcase. Travel restrictions after 9/11 put an end to that, and I'm out of the habit. I have swiss army knives tucked into various drawers at home and grab one when I need it (which is fairly often). My dad carries an old Schrade (a brand no longer made) something like the Buck 303 Cadet. Same purposes as above--opening packages, sharpening pencils, various other small tool tasks...