• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentleman, I present to you, the $125 pair of socks

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
Just to provide an update on my socks:

They got a hole in them after about 7 wears. It was great while it lasted, but they were too beautiful for this world.

I use them to shine my shoes now.

R.I.P.

frown.gif

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only don't wear 100% cashmere socks. I would never consider not wearing socks made of anything else. I especially enjoy not wearing 100% cashmere socks with conservative business dress. Here I am not wearing a pair in an extra fine, single ply, light gray, 6X3 ribbing:

bjan

Reaction score
Should have held out for Vicuna ones!

Advent

Reaction score
Like a real idiot I once bought a pair of 100% cashmere socks at Hermes. After two or three wearings they had a hole in the heel. I brought them back to Hermes. The salesperson said they get them returned all the time. (They issued me a credit.)
So then to add insult to injury I purchased some $150 PRL cashmere sox with a cable knit pattern. They were much thicker than the Hermes pair so I thought they'd last and be toasty with a pair of boots in the winter. Well, the exact same thing happened with them.
I'm now sworn off cashmere sox.

elegantgentleman

Reaction score

They got a hole in them after about 7 wears. It was great while it lasted, but they were too beautiful for this world.

laugh.gif
Hilarious!

How big is the hole? I find that cashmere stitches up quite well & fairly invisibly for small to medium-sized holes.

foulard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
I only don't wear 100% cashmere socks. I would never consider not wearing socks made of anything else. I especially enjoy not wearing 100% cashmere socks with conservative business dress. Here I am not wearing a pair in an extra fine, single ply, light gray, 6X3 ribbing:

Absolutely magnificent, where did you get them?

Do you think you'll get any holes?
worship.gif

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
That's one of the best scores I've seen in a while! Well done, sir.

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Advent
Like a real idiot I once bought a pair of 100% cashmere socks at Hermes. After two or three wearings they had a hole in the heel. I brought them back to Hermes. The salesperson said they get them returned all the time. (They issued me a credit.) So then to add insult to injury I purchased some $150 PRL cashmere sox with a cable knit pattern. They were much thicker than the Hermes pair so I thought they'd last and be toasty with a pair of boots in the winter. Well, the exact same thing happened with them. I'm now sworn off cashmere sox.
Must've been old stock. Cashmere socks are usually thick enough to make great cold weather socks. They are not for commuting by foot. They're for driving, getting out of the car, walking into a building, then sitting down for several hours, then walking back to one's car and driving home.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clotheshorse69
Cashmere socks are usually thick enough to make great cold weather socks. They are not for commuting by foot. They're for driving, getting out of the car, walking into a building, then sitting down for several hours, then walking back to one's car and driving home.

The government should require this warning on the packaging.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is one of the funniest thread I have read here.

The thing that I don´t understand is why do they make things that are not very usable.

As this letter will selfdestroy in the next second stuff...

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elegantgentleman
laugh.gif
Hilarious!

How big is the hole? I find that cashmere stitches up quite well & fairly invisibly for small to medium-sized holes.

It's HUGE, on both socks too.

JG000

Reaction score
I'm going to make my way down to a Filene's Basement this weekend.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oldog, do you never wear socks? How do you avoid stinkfoot?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads