• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gennaro paone: former head tailor of rubinacci

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knowledge a mile wide and an inch deep. I know a little about that.
hehe. I understand what Heismatt was trying to say, but I think that to place everyone who has a lot of experience with one tailor into one company, and everyone who likes to sample into another, is what was specious about his statement.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

hehe.  I understand what Heismatt was trying to say, but I think that to place everyone who has a lot of experience with one tailor into one company, and everyone who likes to sample into another, is what was specious about his statement.

Just to be clear, that isn't what I was trying to say. I don't mean that foo or I have deep experience, but that people like T4, manton and Alden do in that they have had multiple longer relationships with all sorts of tailors, and that kind of knowledge has been supplanted by the Tailor Tasting Menu.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't doubt Rubi's flexibility relative to other N tailors, nor the risks inherent to dealing with a start-up firm, but it must be said this is a very poor, tasteless response from Luca.

It seems i have failed again to multiquotte 3 post where Luca's lies and denying of the truth has been exposed. I warned many times a guydressed as him can't be trusted. Again the evidence comes to light. Failed to multiquote where he denies Paone was his main cutter and a poster and client wrote the contrary, hence the truth.

I am glad some of you and the rest who idolatred a poor taste guy and for me, a guy who profanates all the rules of dressing and good taste as he does. He not only is ignored on Naples where any local buys there but is the center of jokes about bad taste and not very good tailoring inside the tailoring business.

As example of bad taste, i got the walk daily two times last year on the main street where was an add with him putting the sole on the wall, something we all were educated as a poor education thing on school and good educated homes. Not to mention his attires out of the Batman's Joker.
I

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've been eating the exact same meal for dinner (my only meal) for the last few months.

pB, you are one odd motherfucker. I mean that in the best possible way, of course.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, that isn't what I was trying to say. I don't mean that foo or I have deep experience, but that people like T4, manton and Alden do in that they have had multiple longer relationships with all sorts of tailors, and that kind of knowledge has been supplanted by the Tailor Tasting Menu.
Yeah, fair enough. I can't speak to the Tailor Tasting menu, but I really hate Michelin Starred tasting menus, as you well know.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

To take it back to restaurants, which, at least in this thread, seems to be a less contentious issue.  I've eaten at all sorts of restaurants, and my preferences always tend back to simple, filling, food.  In Italy, I like trattorias that make good, traditional, usually Tuscan, fare, with maybe some personal touches, but without much experimentation.  In the States, I like pub style food.  Chinese? I like traditional Cantonese cooking.  In France, I like bristro style food.  I know that these are not the most current styles of cooking, and I have tried those, but ultimately, they are just not my style, so to speak.  I'm not going to go to per se and ask them to make me a lamb burger with bumin aioli and thrice cooked fries.  I suppose that if I had enough money and clout, I might be able to convince them to do so, but why would I, when I can get the same thing at The Breslin, which specializes in that dish?

I am a little lost in analogy, but I do think food is a helpful comparison.

All I'm saying is, regardless of what food you like or what your budget is, there are benefits to becoming a regular at a restaurant. You get better service. You know how to order better. You learn the nuances of the menu. Sometimes you even get access to things otherwise not available or your food is prepared with more care. There are a handful of Chinese restaurants my family frequented growing up, and all these things were certainly true in those cases. Today, there are a couple of restaurants my wife and I go to on a regular basis where we can get tables on short notice because they know us well.

In contrast, I've enjoyed some wonderful meals at three-starred restaurants, but do not come anything close to being a regular at any of them. While I've loved the one or two-off experiences (and shamefully took pictures along the way to prove it!), I fully understand that several successive meals would teach me much more than I've learned and I would understand the food much better.

Where I think the food analogy falls apart is that a lot of us expect more surprise or innovation in our dining experiences than we'd want in tailoring. After all, a dinner is only one evening and only one day away from the next. You can risk more at less cost. I don't want a risky suit--at least, I am not a person who can afford one.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics