• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gennaro paone: former head tailor of rubinacci

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too embarrassing to link, but it was brought up a number of times at the trunk show so fresh in my mind.

I really need to stop drinking during the day.

lefty

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Matt pointed out, the discussion wasn't about how good the tailors in question are, but about how they relate to their clients and how flexible they are.

Look, I don't give a **** about any of this. I dislike the Styleforum interview culture and the weird way people seem to amass "knowledge" through experiences rather than through experience, but these days I live 50 feet from the Pacific ocean pretty close to the middle of nowhere and put a suit on only to go into the city or if I have the itch to feel like a country squire. I don't really participate in this forum, but I do have opinions. I only saw this thread because of foo. I am kind of sorry I did.

I really like your sweaters. They are more along the lines of what somebody in my world needs.
Bull wool. Check out my "how to wear" guide.
lefty
Matt, you are competing with @lefty in the grumpiness department. Maybe next time I am in town, we can get together, and I'll convince you to come out with me to real country. And just to derail for a moment: http://www.styleforum.net/t/358758/no-man-walks-alone-official-affiliate-thread/400_50#post_6590869

lefty should daydrink more often, I think. He's like a Canuck Ernest Hemingway.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm less grumpy than I have ever been. I spent an hour at the river today, then two and a half hours walking the coastline. It doesn't suck. Tomorrow I will do the same, but then the Miele man comes to rip me back to reality. I don't think there is another person within a quarter mile of me right now. I am now going to use my rather slow internet to become a man in some sweaters.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have given over a guest room to my Miele guy. It's a real time saver.

lefty

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We newcomers finally chased you out of the city, Matt?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

We newcomers finally chased you out of the city, Matt?

I still have a place in the city, I just only go there when absolutely required. I was in San Francisco for fifteen minutes yesterday, for example.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The snobbishness you are talking about doesn't exist. People are just pointing out that there are many different ways to have a relationship with a tailor, and each is probably apparent to men who have seen customers enter their doors for forty or more years. The ironic thing, I guess, is that the people expounding on "true Italian tailors with real Italian clients" are the ones who seem to consistently have non traditional relationships with their tailors. That seems like sad snobbery indeed.
We are still talking about tailors, right? Not marriage? In that case, I don't see any particular merit in one type of relationship over the other. Some people prefer routine, some enjoy novelty. Me, I'm a creature of habit. I wear a variation on the same theme every day, and have done so for over a decade now. And in every city I go to more than once, I have particular places where I always eat, although I am sure that there are plenty of other good spots. But that's neither here nor there. What works for me, may not work for someone else.

Also, the distinction you make between "experience" and "experiences" is specious, and you know that. I get what you are trying to say, but I don't think that you are right in attributing the one to people who share your view of things, and the other to those who do not.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

We are still talking about tailors, right?  Not marriage?  In that case, I don't see any particular merit in one type of relationship over the other.  Some people prefer routine, some enjoy novelty.  Me, I'm a creature of habit.  I wear a variation on the same theme every day, and have done so for over a decade now.  And in every city I go to more than once, I have particular places where I always eat, although I am sure that there are plenty of other good spots.  But that's neither here nor there.  What works for me, may not work for someone else.  

Also,  the distinction you make between "experience" and "experiences" is specious, and you know that.  I get what you are trying to say, but I don't think that you are right in attributing the one to people who share your view of things, and the other to those who do not.

I don't think one type of relationship is better than the other, but they have their own particular merits. It isn't just routine versus novelty, but familiarity versus diversity. Some people may want a bunch of different things and value that. Somebody else might like to know that if they need something special quickly, they can count on a longer relationship making that more likely. Similarly, a longer relationship makes divergence from the norm more likely. See, for example, some of the distinctive stuff done for some of those fellows on noveporte by Neapolitan tailors who only give you what you want and refuse to make what the customer wants.

I disagree that the distinction I make is specious. It has become very popular to go to each Michelin *** restaurant once and take a lot of pictures. Those are what I am calling experiences, and they are often very nice, but they don't provide much more than a picture book of life. They don't provide much experience. I don't say this so as to imply I am on the other side, or foo is or whatever. It is just a comment on what I see happening to the current generation in so many different ways. Let's do expensive stuff and then document it in pictures. I am not immune, but I am comfortable with a degree of self loathing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think one type of relationship is better than the other, but they have their own particular merits. It isn't just routine versus novelty, but familiarity versus diversity. Some people may want a bunch of different things and value that. Somebody else might like to know that if they need something special quickly, they can count on a longer relationship making that more likely. Similarly, a longer relationship makes divergence from the norm more likely. See, for example, some of the distinctive stuff done for some of those fellows on noveporte by Neapolitan tailors who only give you what you want and refuse to make what the customer wants.

I disagree that the distinction I make is specious. It has become very popular to go to each Michelin *** restaurant once and take a lot of pictures. Those are what I am calling experiences, and they are often very nice, but they don't provide much more than a picture book of life. They don't provide much experience. I don't say this so as to imply I am on the other side, or foo is or whatever. It is just a comment on what I see happening to the current generation in so many different ways. Let's do expensive stuff and then document it in pictures. I am not immune, but I am comfortable with a degree of self loathing.
In that case, you should really admire me. I ate three of the same delicious burger, in my room, on three consecutive nights (only one Michelin Star, but you'll forgive me for being a plebe), and added the terrine the first night, because I was famished, and the salad on the last night, because I felt the need for some greens. I think that I've eaten that burger over a few dozen times now, which would make me experienced in that burger, even by Foo's lofty standards. No pictures were taken, and I was sitting in lounging clothes, which are an old technical shirt and a pair of hiking pants that were retired over a decade ago from their original purpose.

At home, I try to replicate April Bloomfield's thrice cooked fries religiously, and after about a dozen tries, I think that I've pretty much nailed the size of the fries, and the amount of crispness on the outside and smoohtness on the inside.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, and to tale this further off topic, I am allergic to Michellin *** restaurants in general, and tasting menus in particular. I don't want to wait 10 minutes between each bite of food, and the plating of any small bites makes me want to punch someone in the face. And if someone tries to serve me a salad that looks like a naturalistic landscape or whatever is going to at least get a mean look. So glad you've never made me eat at a place like that.

emptym

Reaction score

I have given over a guest room to my Miele guy. It's a real time saver.

Has the vac given you trouble or are you talking appliances?

We are still talking about tailors, right?  Not marriage?  In that case, I don't see any particular merit in one type of relationship over the other.  Some people prefer routine, some enjoy novelty.  Me, I'm a creature of habit.  I wear a variation on the same theme every day, and have done so for over a decade now.  And in every city I go to more than once, I have particular places where I always eat, although I am sure that there are plenty of other good spots.  But that's neither here nor there.  What works for me, may not work for someone else.  

Also,  the distinction you make between "experience" and "experiences" is specious, and you know that.  I get what you are trying to say, but I don't think that you are right in attributing the one to people who share your view of things, and the other to those who do not.

Imo there is a difference between what one learns from a year-long trip around the world and living abroad for a year. As Matt said, not necessarily a difference in overall value, but certainly differences, particularly in the relationships formed, I'd imagine.

No idea if I've ever eaten at a Michelin-starred restaurant.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads