• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gennaro paone: former head tailor of rubinacci

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are twenty. Odds are, you are going to make ****** decisions when it comes to purchases. Odds are, you think you won't. Odds are, you aren't an exception.

But you might be.

Given that you can't know whether you are the exception, you're essentially gambling here...because good clothes are a long term thing.

You're gambling that you won't **** up. And admittedly you might not. And you're gambling that you won't grow. Which you probably will.

Now, if you are in the envious position of money meaning little to you, knock yourself out. No need to worry as there will be nothing really lost. Otherwise, I'd be patient before embarking on my first Neapolitan sartorial ad.venture

Claghorn, I think if he has this money to spend at this age its highly likely he will have more, not less, when he is older. I don't think you can "**** up" when buying clothes like this and in any case people shouldn't be paralyzed by the fear of failure. I can assure you that in my University days ******** up more royally than ordering clothes from Rubinacci.

Last edited:

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Xancatrius, it will be an education whether you get to wear a few years or many. Even if you don't wear it for many years just pulling it out of the closet and comparing it with others are lessons. Having said that one guy after his Ph.D grew several inches. Another guy several years after high school grew some inches. I hardly recognized one of them and the other had to tell me who he was.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Xancatrius, it will be an education whether you get to wear a few years or many. Even if you don't wear it for many years just pulling it out of the closet and comparing it with others are lessons. Having said that one guy after his Ph.D grew several inches. Another guy several years after high school grew some inches. I hardly recognized one of them and the other had to tell me who he was.

Quoted for future use.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

one guy after his Ph.D grew several inches. Another guy several years after high school grew some inches. I hardly recognized one of them and the other had to tell me who he was.

TWSS?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I once fractured my hip moshing to Blur's song 2 while at Uni, that taught me not to wear leather soled shoes in a mosh pit.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone on SF spends their money on clothes efficiently. We have all 'fucked up', and I don't know if there is any correlation between how often and our time spent here or our experience buying clothes.

Just do as you please. It's the only way to not regret anything.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think anyone on SF spends their money on clothes efficiently. We have all 'fucked up', and I don't know if there is any correlation between how often and our time spent here or our experience buying clothes.

This. Just make sure to do your research first. Make sure you like the house style. Nothing worse than trying to make a tailor do something that is uncomfortable for him/out of his realm of expertise.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree that we've all screwed up, but I like to think that we get better and are less likely to do so as we gain experience. The other thing is that for most people, a mistake on a suit that costs $1,000 is a lot more painful than a mistake on a $4,000 bespoke suit. I hate to think what I would have bought at age 20 as a bespoke customer.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the issue with age?

If someone can appreciate and aspire to bespoke clothing, age shouldn't be considered.

When buying bespoke, most folks expect the clothing to last them a long time, right? How many people over 30 have the same figure they had at 20? Not that the body ever fully settles, but most people are still growing into their adult body at 20...(I'm sure there are many exceptions, but just sayin...)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Having said that one guy after his Ph.D grew several inches. Another guy several years after high school grew some inches. I hardly recognized one of them and the other had to tell me who he was.

Pretty sure most grad students shrink a few inches from feeling dejected all the time.

Last edited:

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gdl203, he was short in high school and on the ski slope after he got his D.hP he was still short but, about 25 years later he was not shorty anymore. ITAsEA?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having said that one guy after his Ph.D grew several inches. Another guy several years after high school grew some inches. I hardly recognized one of them and the other had to tell me who he was.

Pretty sure most grad students shrink a few inches from feeling dejected all the time.

There are a lot of microagressions in this thread. I hope everyone will join me in helping make SF a Safe Space for everyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads