• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gennaro paone: former head tailor of rubinacci

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyway, I might use a blue tweed herringbone for the suit that I can't afford.

Oh you!! Don't even start with your tire-kicking nonsense. That poor old man will not survive it!!

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect alcohol may be involved...

However, there's no real defending an outburst of out-and-out idiocy. Someone said earlier that this thread was like the old days, well, it certainly is now, and not in a good way. I was actually enjoying the discussion, however heated it got, until Manton's unnecessary ranting. At least the arguments prior to this had something to do with style.

Can I remind certain people that this forum is no longer, if it ever was, 'all American' and it certainly isn't all white American, so whatever some particular white Americans think that they can get away with ranting about in the comfort of their golf clubs and so on, doesn't really sound acceptable to a lot of other people in the rest of the world. Or indeed to anyone who has any passing acquaintance with the sharp end of racial history...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I may be missing something here, but seriously, M; WTF is your problem?!?

I am tired of officious little busybodies wagging their fingers in our faces and telling us what we can and cannot say.

I am tired of these ignoramus morons redefining a past they know nothing about.

I am tired of the Social Justice Warriors who troll the Internet looking for things to get offended over.

I am tired of the default assumption being that all of American life is "racist" and we all need constantly to walk on eggshells because America is so deeply compromised that one out of place word will launch the next lynching.

Does anyone really think foo is "racist"? That he said "tar baby" out of some anti-black animus?

As we have amply established, none of you socially superior morons even knows what it means. Yet you lecture the rest of us? And when your ignorance is demonstrated, you just get louder and louder.

Discourse in this country has become a joke and you people ("you people"--that's racist!!!!) are the reason. You think you have accomplished something, that you <I>are</I> something, simply because you preen over your superior anti-racism sensitivity on the Internet.

Why don't you accomplish something real instead of trolling a clothing forum like schoolmarms.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A Matthew Yglesias reference in a thread about an Italian bespoke tailor! I have now seen everything.

Also, @dopey still hasn't said why he's all about that bass and what he has against treble. Is he frequencyist?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew Beck had left Fox; just didn't realize you had filled the void.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There have only been two responses to my substantive claim.

1) Yeah, it wasn't racist at first, but these things take on meanings later.

2) Wow. Just wow. Manton is crazy.

The first is a concession. The second is vapor.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps this makes me a race traitor, but my understanding of the term "tar baby" is closer to Manton's than w.o.e's. Now, Song of the South...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I suspect alcohol may be involved... 

However, there's no real defending an outburst of out-and-out idiocy. Someone said earlier that this thread was like the old days, well, it certainly is now, and not in a good way. I was actually enjoying the discussion, however heated it got, until Manton's unnecessary ranting. At least the arguments prior to this had something to do with style.

Can I remind certain people that this forum is no longer, if it ever was, 'all American' and it certainly isn't all white American, so whatever some particular white Americans think that they can get away with ranting about in the comfort of their golf clubs and so on, doesn't really sound acceptable to a lot of other people in the rest of the world. Or indeed to anyone who has any passing acquaintance with the sharp end of racial history...

What a load of stinking garbage.

Foo was called out for using the term "********", a age-old piece of American lore, and basically accused of "racism." I pointed out what the term actually means. No one has refuted that or even tried to deny it. They just object anyway because .... because.

And you here attack whites and their "golf clubs" to refute my point that the original objection is all about the redefinition of language to redefine the past and use it in the present as a club against the wrong kind of people. That is, quite obviously, a confirmation not a refutation of my point. White Americans who don't accept the interpretation of the whole American past as "racist" = bad people.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps this makes me a race traitor, but my understanding of the term "tar baby" is closer to Manton's than w.o.e's. Now, Song of the South...

Tar baby is often used to describe a sticky situation but it has also been used as a racial slur in the past. The origins of the Joel Harris writings (Uncle Remus stories) are mainly West African folk tales told by slaves and that tar baby character appears in Yoruba folklore as well as Asanti but just like any innocent word people pick it up and use it for nefarious reasons but I don't think Foo's usage of the word meant anything racial.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Dude, you need a better translation of Nick. Get Mansfield.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What a load of stinking garbage.

Foo was called out for using the term "********", a age-old piece of American lore, and basically accused of "racism." I pointed out what the term actually means. No one has refuted that or even tried to deny it. They just object anyway
because .... because.

And you here attack whites and their "golf clubs" to refute my point that the original objection is all about the redefinition of language to redefine the past and use it in the present as a club against the wrong kind of people. That is, quite obviously, a confirmation not a refutation of my point. White Americans who don't accept the interpretation of the whole American past as "racist" = bad people

..someone points out that a term can have a negative connotation - look back; no claim was made that :foo:'s a racist - and here you come and go all apeshit like a raging Glenn Beck bull.... Seriously, just start your weekend already.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads