• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Shoe Question

foto010101

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am looking for high-quality shoes and have read about various brands on this forum. However, which brand is generally considered superior in quality and constuction to most other brands? Bu the way, I am not really interested in shoes that are well above 1500USD.

I am aware that this question is quite general and maybe irritating for some of the people who have posted a lot on this, but I am really looking forward to read some expert opinions on this matter.

Mike

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
For 1500 less; best shoe would be Vass and Edward Green, Paolo Scafora. SOME John Lobb Paris. Maybe some Silvano Lattanzi as well if you're lucky.

I said some because those latter two can be very, very expensive.

Are you looking for RTW or Bespoke?

Another great RTW would be Stefano Branchini, not sure what the prices are, but can be super high.

foto010101

Reaction score

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foto010101
I am looking for RTW. It is important to me that the shoes are classic and very durable. I just looked at some John Lobb and Edward Green shoes. I particularly like this model:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imag...phlogomain.jpg

It's an Edward Green for RL. What do you think of this model

That's a very classic looking shoe, very clean.

Since it is an EG; it is one of the best welted shoes in the world. I think you will do well with EG...

They will last a very long time...

Others can chime in that they know more about shoes than I do.

Ferragamo top of the line is well made, but I would go for Edward Green on this. I don't think that's the top of the line Ferragamo, but I can very well be wrong.

It's like comparing a Bentley to a Lancia.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Another shoe you can look into is Vass.

Handmade shoes with a hand welt process.

I believe EG does it with some assistance of the Goodyear Welted machine?

I can be wrong on this.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foto010101
Hi there,

I am looking for high-quality shoes and have read about various brands on this forum. However, which brand is generally considered superior in quality and constuction to most other brands? Bu the way, I am not really interested in shoes that are well above 1500USD.

I am aware that this question is quite general and maybe irritating for some of the people who have posted a lot on this, but I am really looking forward to read some expert opinions on this matter.

Mike

yes , alot of great shoes can be had under 1500 USD, almost everything actually besides bespoke and lattanzi or kiton.

but even those two brands IF you are lucky, you may run into a discounted one, but i have yet to find one. let alone my size, my taste, and able to be ordered by me where i live.

the question is really what chorse said above, where do you live, since you are in holland, you are in europe and items like vass, lobb, and many italian brand names will be quite accessible to you through mail i guess.

my favorites are: Santoni. an italian brand name making a wide range of qualitative shoes. the ones i am particular for are the Fatte A Mano series. comes truly with decadent leathers, substantial soles, nasty vero cuoio stamp, great styling and antiquing, a truly superlative shoe.

Lobb, although i do love my lobb shoe and the ones i have seen and felt, they are not as decadent and substantial as santoni fam. this is my opinion.
and it is an english shoe but with many contemporary stylings.

vass, i heard alot of great things about vass, almost mystifying and legendary to me (all from this and ask andy fora) i have never seen one in person. but i have recently ordered a wingtip and cannot wait for it to arrive and i will show all. vass i heard is truly handmade in RTW and is one of the best deals to be had for a 'handmade rtw shoe' compared to lattanzi and kiton or even santoni fam.

St. Crispin: i know one fellow forumite owns the rtw wholecut and is truly a beautiful piece of handmade shoe. it looks to be very substantial and the leather is to be CRUST and hand dyed or something or other. i am pretty sure st crispin is awesome , but does not have the same PR as Vass does here.

corthay makes a very stylized and beautiful rtw shoe as well. they are a france based company and the shoes are sort of glazed , elongated toebox, chiseled , stylized look. not for everybody, but for me, i wish i had a pair.
there is no way anyone here in USA can order one.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One quick point: If you're looking for a classic style and good quality, you can find very nice shoes starting at $300 retail and significantly less on discount. All the names mentioned are excellent shoes, but there's comes a point of diminishing returns, at which point you're largely paying for aesthetics, prestige and nuances most, uh, normal folks won't notice/appreciate. Ultimately, there's no way to label any one maker "the best."

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
One quick point: If you're looking for a classic style and good quality, you can find very nice shoes starting at $300 retail and significantly less on discount. All the names mentioned are excellent shoes, but there's comes a point of diminishing returns, at which point you're largely paying for aesthetics, prestige and nuances most, uh, normal folks won't notice/appreciate. Ultimately, there's no way to label any one maker "the best."

+1 on that.

You should check eBay for shoes in this range. I've found a decent selection of stuff there - including all ranges of RL and Ferrgamo - for reasonable prices.

Thanks to what I've learned on SF, I've been slowly upgrading my shoe collection.

Thanks to eBay, my wallet isn't completely barren. (Yet...)

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are many forumites who swear by the American firms Alden and Allen Edmonds, both of whose products can be had for well below your price ceiling. If you've decided to go European, review the Comprehensive Shoe thread, then check e-bay and shops in your town.

As has been noted, there is no such thing as "the best shoe," just as there is no such thing as the "most beautiful woman" or "best country." These things are, by definition subjective, depending upon what each beholder personally values.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It really depends, where you are situated.

If you are in Europe, it is much easier to get good shoes at reasonable prices.

Whether you choose english, italian, french or austrian-hungarian shoes.

I have very good experiences with VASS, Balint or Maftei.

Prices from € 400 - 800,- = ~ $ 520 - 1040,-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads