Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

General rule for fit of suit jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by teddieriley, May 16, 2006.

1. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Is there a general rule regarding how much space there should be between your stomach and the closed button of your suit jacket when you pull it away from your body? I'm assuming this goes to the waist suppression of the jacket. I just got my Oxxford suit tailored and it's about 4-5 inches away (I can fit my hand in between), and I'm wondering if I should have the sides taken in even more for a sleeker fit. Would being able to slip 3-4 fingers in between your closed button and your body be too tight and movement limiting? I don't want to go overboard here.

Any thoughts?

2. cpac

cpac Senior member

Too many variables to contend with - how high is the suit's gorge? How many buttons does it have? Which button are you dealing with? Is the suit trim or loose generally?

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

You should be able to move comfortably and the fabric shouldn't pull around the button.

4. kdsvs

kdsvs Active Member

I don't think there is a general rule for the fit around the waist. Different silhouette styles have widely varying degrees of waist suppression, all of which are acceptable. More important is the fit at the shoulders.