• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General questions about clothing

Wilx

Reaction score
Few questions from a newbie here (not very active on this forum even though have been registered for some time). Also I’m not English speaking person so I hope my grammar won’t offend you.

Shorts. How they actually should fit? I mean should they stick to your skin or should there be some kind of gap or free space between your leg and the shorts themselves? For example, what you think of these shorts? Do they fit me? Or are they too big for me because of that gap?

See there is a gap between my skin and the shorts

Shirts. I’ve noticed following things – there are lots of shirts that fit me well in shoulders but the length of sleeves is very long. Was surprised to see that this happens also with brand ones like Calvin Klein, not only Zara. Here are an examples of what I mean.

Sleeve looks wavy – what can I do with this? The worst part about it is that almost all shirts that I find in stores are like that – they are good in shoulders but sleeves are too freaking long…

These are Calvin Klein shirts but as you can see there is a wavy kind of thing on the sleeves. I don’t know how do you call this in English (tell me please) but in Russian we call it accordion because it looks like caterpillar. I hope you get what I mean. I know that if you buy a blazer with long sleeves then it’s possible to fix it. But what about the shirts? How do I find the shirt that wouldn’t look wavy on the sleeves? Or how do I fix it if it is wavy? Or I shouldn’t bother that much about those waves?

Blazers. OK, I saw these ones at Zara and now considering to buy them so I need your advices. What confuses me are following things.

X-letter (also sleeve is a bit confusing me too)

First of all, I can see there is a form of like an X-letter in the middle of blazer. Some people told me that it’s okay and it’s fashionable. Other say that there shouldn’t be any X-letter and that it just means that blazer simply doesn’t fit me.

Same thing here too

Also I noticed some kind of sail thing popping out when I try to lean on something.

Looks like sail on wind

Shoes. Is it possible to replace shoe trees with simple paper or newspapers? I’ve heard that Italians don’t use shoe trees at all. Someone told me that you can easily get away with simple paper. Is it true?

Clarks

Hugo Boss

Shoe trees

Also I have these shoe trees. Is it OK to use them with these kind of shoes? On the first picture there are Clarks shoes. On the second one there are Hugo Boss. HB in my opinion has more quadratic nose (or how is called that front part) than Clarks. Is it OK to use the same shoe trees for them both (shoe trees are from Ecco)?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, a lot of questions and things going on. Here is my take:
1.Shorts should not be skin tight. Yes, you want a little gap.
2. Shirt sizing. This is why it's important to buy shirts where you can get a collar size AND a sleeve size - not just S, M, L. That will solve the shirt sleeve problem. Then you have to find brand(s) that fit you well. For example, I'm a 16 1/2, 33. Not all shirt brands fit me well. Some do, some don't.
3. The blazer - in my opinion, they don't fit. Especially when you are in a relaxed pose you shouldn't have creases like that. That's why it's critical to have blazers tailored to fit.

4. Shoe trees. Shoe trees aren't just about odor - they help keep the form of the shoe and help prevent creases. Newspaper won't do that. Since you shouldn't wear the same leather shoes multiple days in a row as a general rule, the odor issue isn't much of an issue for most people. So, trees are more important for structural support than odor prevention and moisture IMO. So, that is, to me, the secondary benefit.

Dandy_dapper

Reaction score
Few questions from a newbie here (not very active on this forum even though have been registered for some time). Also I’m not English speaking person so I hope my grammar won’t offend you.

Shorts. How they actually should fit? I mean should they stick to your skin or should there be some kind of gap or free space between your leg and the shorts themselves? For example, what you think of these shorts? Do they fit me? Or are they too big for me because of that gap?

See there is a gap between my skin and the shorts

Shirts. I’ve noticed following things – there are lots of shirts that fit me well in shoulders but the length of sleeves is very long. Was surprised to see that this happens also with brand ones like Calvin Klein, not only Zara. Here are an examples of what I mean.

Sleeve looks wavy – what can I do with this? The worst part about it is that almost all shirts that I find in stores are like that – they are good in shoulders but sleeves are too freaking long…

These are Calvin Klein shirts but as you can see there is a wavy kind of thing on the sleeves. I don’t know how do you call this in English (tell me please) but in Russian we call it accordion because it looks like caterpillar. I hope you get what I mean. I know that if you buy a blazer with long sleeves then it’s possible to fix it. But what about the shirts? How do I find the shirt that wouldn’t look wavy on the sleeves? Or how do I fix it if it is wavy? Or I shouldn’t bother that much about those waves?

Blazers. OK, I saw these ones at Zara and now considering to buy them so I need your advices. What confuses me are following things.

X-letter (also sleeve is a bit confusing me too)

First of all, I can see there is a form of like an X-letter in the middle of blazer. Some people told me that it’s okay and it’s fashionable. Other say that there shouldn’t be any X-letter and that it just means that blazer simply doesn’t fit me.

Same thing here too

Also I noticed some kind of sail thing popping out when I try to lean on something.

Looks like sail on wind

Shoes. Is it possible to replace shoe trees with simple paper or newspapers? I’ve heard that Italians don’t use shoe trees at all. Someone told me that you can easily get away with simple paper. Is it true?

Clarks

Hugo Boss

Shoe trees

Also I have these shoe trees. Is it OK to use them with these kind of shoes? On the first picture there are Clarks shoes. On the second one there are Hugo Boss. HB in my opinion has more quadratic nose (or how is called that front part) than Clarks. Is it OK to use the same shoe trees for them both (shoe trees are from Ecco)?

I find both the shirts as well as the shorts to be too big for you they suit baggy

Stinson

Reaction score
That's a travel show tree, I would look for a full lasted shoe tree.

Wilx

Reaction score
Hello, I need quick advice. I ordered custom pink shirt and tomorrow I need to decide following things:

- the color of patches (I don’t know what matches with pink, I tried to Google but couldn’t find any men pink shirts with patches)

- I also have to decide do I need extras listed on the pictures below (Contrast) and what colors should I choose (the shirt itself going to be pink)

the color of my upcoming shirt

I have to decide the color of patches for pink shirt

These are the extras that come with separate colors – and I have same problem here too: can’t choose the color since the shirt itself is going to be pink (also not sure if I need all those extras)

Need your advice ASAP, thank you in advance.

Wilx

Reaction score

(Massimo Dutti Striped)

Buy / not to buy / buy if...

(Massimo Dutti Blue)

(Massimo Dutti White)

Hilfiger Blue

Hugo Boss shirt (shop assistant told me that shoulders are OK and the only thing I need to do is to shorten those sleeves and they do it for free since it's a shirt from their new collection)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads