• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

general opinion on monkstraps for young guys

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I don't own a pair, but I'm considering buying some. I usually wear loafers but am looking to branch out with my shoe collection. Would monkstraps look odd on a 25yr old? I'm thinking probably not, but I'm resistant to change... My look is typically flat front pants, loose cottons/linen in the summer (think armani cuts) but more european and tailored in the fall/winter. These would be for everday wear. Should i buy a pair while they're on sale? I think i like them, but then it usually takes me a while to adjust to something new.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I would not worry about your age. The monk is a great shoe and very versatile. I would go for it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you usually wear loafers, then monkstraps are not a big leap. I would definitely do it. Assuming they are not cheap ones (well, usually even if they are) women seem to love them. If that weighs on your decision at all.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm being dim, but I don't see why anyone would think that monkstraps are age-inappropriate for a 25 year old. Button-up ankle boots with white twill from the throat of the shoe and above? Yeah, those might look a little odd on most young guys, but not monkstraps.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A number of my 20-something year old friends wear monkstraps. Granted, many of them are by Ecco and Kenneth Cole, but they're monkstraps nonetheless....

I'm currently in the market for a set of decent plaintoe monkstrap myself. I have two pairs that I wear frequently, but they're algonquin toes with the vibram commando half soles and would not the best choice for dressier wear.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys may boo me when I say this, but for young guys who cannot afford expensive monk shoes, try Hugo Boss ones. I think they look extremely sleek, but cemented.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Im a young guy and I ONLY wear monkstraps or boots (when I'm wearing dressier shoes)

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
Bought this pair of Mantellasi's when I was 26 LOL... Get many compliments everytime I wear them.... You can wear monks with just about everything too...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those that asked, I can't really explain why I think monkstraps might seem weird on a young guy. I guess it's partly because i've never really seen any guys my age wearing them. Then again, I don't see too many wearing loafers either, but then, I suppose that's why i get so many compliments on the way I dress from girls compared to other guys i know. And geez guys, i know i haven't been a regular poster in a really long time, but a little credit please? Do you really think I'm gonna go out and buy a cheap pair of shoes? After all, remember where we all are
tounge.gif

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQ: Since you're asking for opinions, I would not recommend monkstraps. I'd recommend a dressier look. Maybe some Santoni tassel loafers. Or some of the ones on ebay I posted. I prefer ostrich to all other leathers. If you like them, take a look at the Vigotti Neals at Zappos.com. They're on sale for around $344. They might have your size. If you don't like those, take a look at the Belvedere Udines. Around $444. And, of course, ebay has some really nice ones for much less. In fact, I found Belvedere Sellas for around $325 (I think).

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm 20 i wear them. Girls love them.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore them all the time from the age of about 15 or so until about 18. I'm 20 now. Ladies did, indeed, love them.

I wear boots almost all of the time now.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a young guy (only young at heart), but I bought my first pair of monkstraps in March and I love them. They're as comfortable as loafers, but my heels don't slip, so the monkstraps feel more secure. I also like the style a lot. I hesitated to buy them because I was worried that monkstraps would look out of place on a 40-something.
biggrin.gif
Now I don't give it a second thought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads