• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

KurtS90

Reaction score
I been commuting by bike for the past few months, on a 2011 Trek 7.5FX. I am still overweight at 5'11" 228 pounds... I been wanting to get a faster bike for time trials and when I just want to ride faster at a later date. I had intentions on waiting, but the Trek Store sent me an e-mail offer on a 2011 Trek Speed Concept 2.5 for $999. Should I jump on it now, and how about sizing on it (I think there's a bit more to it then my 7.5FX Hybrid), should I wait to I lose more weight? The price is great, less then used prices in my area and a little over half off MSRP.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I been commuting by bike for the past few months, on a 2011 Trek 7.5FX. I am still overweight at 5'11" 228 pounds... I been wanting to get a faster bike for time trials and when I just want to ride faster at a later date. I had intentions on waiting, but the Trek Store sent me an e-mail offer on a 2011 Trek Speed Concept 2.5 for $999. Should I jump on it now, and how about sizing on it (I think there's a bit more to it then my 7.5FX Hybrid), should I wait to I lose more weight? The price is great, less then used prices in my area and a little over half off MSRP.

One can never have too many bikes, the groupo is worth almost that much so sounds like a deal. Buy bike and lose weight, double win.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would really suggest against a tri bike like that.
You want a road bike with drop bars before an uncomfortable aero rig like that.

Also, tri bikes cut out the most expensive components from a group (the brake/shifter units) so its not as great of a deal....you can definitely get those sram apex pieces for less than a grand.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to hate people that would get time trial/Triathlon bikes before getting a regular road bike. A lot of my friends hopped onto the Triathlon/biathlon bandwagon and became totally annoying because of it.

My friends would end up bringing their TT bikes to group rides and even casual rides (because that was their only bike other than a huge mountain bike). Group rides with regular road bikes and TT bikes don't really mix (because of the handling/safety issues). And casual rides is the last thing you want to do with a TT bike. Its like they think that road bikes are inferior because road bikes are "slower and less efficient" than a TT bike :brick: :facepalm:
But the truth is... all of them did end up being totally gung ho over joining up with organized tri teams and actually seriously train. And a lot of them ended up losing massive amounts of weight, quitting smoking for good, and realizing that they are actually pretty fast runners and strong swimmers in the process.

Seriously though - if you can get that bike at that awesome of a price - do it!

Last edited:

KurtS90

Reaction score
I placed an order for the bike, they did not have the size I needed. But they have a fresh one coming in from there ware house, should be in next week. But will give me time to order some pedals and other stuff... I bought the Trek 7.5 FX because of car insurance prices in the Clearwater area. I have absolutely enjoyed riding 6 days a week, 20-40 miles a day. So at this price, I think its worth it. I figure it would be nice ride along the beach for pleasure and not commuting. I think I will probably sell the hybrid later and buy an aluminum road bike for my commute.

Anyways, the price I paid is as follow:
Red Shield 5 Year Warranty $279.00
Speed Concept 2.5 MD (54CM) 999.99
Tire Lever Set 3.99
Tax 89.81
Total: $1372.79

Purchased at David's World Cycle, if anyone interested.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot about this thread. Here's my '04 FTP:

With rizorz:

Not drilled and I don't ride with a helmet. Cause I'm stoopid like that.

Last edited:

ianGP

Reaction score
^^ lol awesome :slayer:

nice setup btw. Not a fan of risers but your drops are sick.

*I knew sooner or later someone was going to comment on my saddle/bar ratio. I might take out another spacer but for now, that's my preferred height.

Did my first 26mile ride on it today - it's not as uncomfortable as people make it out to be. I actually prefer its characteristics. Only gripe is that saddle...might switch to a fizik arione.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I placed an order for the bike, they did not have the size I needed. But they have a fresh one coming in from there ware house, should be in next week. But will give me time to order some pedals and other stuff... I bought the Trek 7.5 FX because of car insurance prices in the Clearwater area. I have absolutely enjoyed riding 6 days a week, 20-40 miles a day. So at this price, I think its worth it. I figure it would be nice ride along the beach for pleasure and not commuting. I think I will probably sell the hybrid later and buy an aluminum road bike for my commute.

Red Shield 5 Year Warranty     $279.00
Speed Concept 2.5 MD (54CM)  999.99
Tire Lever Set                               3.99
Tax                                            89.81
Total:                                     $1372.79

Consider getting a frame with braze-ons for a rack and fenders and with room for at least 28mm tires, makes commuting more convenient.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Red Shield 5 Year Warranty     $279.00
Speed Concept 2.5 MD (54CM)  999.99
Tire Lever Set                               3.99
Tax                                            89.81
Total:                                     $1372.79

$279 for a warranty on a $999 bike?
:confused:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads