• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

trash

Reaction score
I'm looking to get my first road bike, looking for some advice...I currently have an entry level Trek mountain bike, and I typically ride once a week, 25-30 miles. I want to boost that to 30-35 and shoot for 50 by the end of the year. Not sure if I definitely need a road bike, but my thinking is it will be both faster to ride and easier on my arms/shoulders for long distances (either that or I'm in deceptively horrible shape).

I was looking at this: http://www.rei.com/product/830069/raleigh-revenio-10-bike-2012 since I have a big REI gift card I need to use. The local REI doesn't have my size in stock so I couldn't test it out, and I know it's nothing special, but is it going to be atrocious? Or good enough for my level of riding? I've been checking craigslist for a few months but I'm realizing I don't know enough about bikes to confidently judge what's a good deal or not, and in any case when I find the rare bike that not only looks worth checking out but is also in my size, it's out in the suburbs (no car).

I'm totally open to other recommendations, and not averse to spending some money to get something I'll be totally satisfied with.

Last edited:

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok here are 3 options since you have a nice gift card from REI

1. spend some/a lot of money on a legitimate road bike that has great components that you can use for recreational and even serious racing in stock form:

http://www.rei.com/product/827837/cannondale-caad10-5-compact-bike-2012

$1500 sounds like a ton, but in reality its entry level pricing for a road bike. the 2012 CAAD 10 is amazing equipped with mid range shimano 105 components, and the same exact frame that also is available spec-ed with top of the line components that can cost near $5,000.

so you can actually keep this frame for years and keep upgrading things like whole groupsets and wheels. even professional riders still use this same exact frame (especially in criterium races).

2. spend about twice your budget - get a legit race bike that you can use for races - that you can use for years and eventually think about upgrading to a nicer bike, but can keep this bike as a secondary bike for bad weather or loaner for friends when they visit.

http://www.rei.com/product/828256/scott-speedster-s30-compact-bike-2012

$1100 sounds like lot for a bike that is considered very "entry level" but it comes fully equipped with Shimano tiagra 2012 - an excellent entry level road group that works flawlessly, is now 10 speeds, and is now compatible with all the upper level 10 speed shimano stuff (105, ultegra, and dura ace).

3. find some roadie friends who are you same size and try out their bikes for an extended time with solo rides/group rides/even races. figure out roadbiking is something you really like. From there you can decide if you want to spend that kind of money to get into the sport. you never know, you might really really like it - and start off with a mid priced (2k-3k dollar bike).

if you're willing to spend $699 on a road bike, then you might as well think about putting in a little more. $1,000 and above can sound like a ton, but in brand new road bike terms it really does equate to entry level specs.

you're lucky though, entry level stuff these days has most of the trickle down technology from the upper end stuff - its just mostly heavier in weight. thats the only real disadvantage now.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a bike, but have been out of the loop for a while. Price isn't a huge issue for me, but I guess I wouldn't want to spend over 3K just out of embarrassment (being somewhat of a newb -- also, doesn't have to be 3K if that'd be a waste)!

I'm torn a bit between the whole fixed-gear thing and going for a hybrid mountain/speed bike. I ride 99% on paved surfaces, but these are a mix of paved surfaces in parks and suburban side walks and roads. I do hit hills, but want this bike for fitness as much as pleasure. I'm in shape, so this wouldn't be a huge step up from me, more of an enjoyable horizontal movement in the fitness game. (Also, better for my knees than running.)

I want it to be light, but am torn between the whole aluminum + carbon folks vs. all carbon divide.

I also want it to be made in USA or Germany or Japan, but it seems like that's impossible in the bike world?

Any recommendations? I've been toying around in the past couple pages of the thread, but feel a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think Trek is the last of the big companies who still make some frames in the USA.
There are plenty of smaller US companies who make frames.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newish bike, ****** picture. Finally got this thing dialed, now time to beat the **** out of it.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thinking about picking up a bike, but have been out of the loop for a while. Price isn't a huge issue for me, but I guess I wouldn't want to spend over 3K just out of embarrassment (being somewhat of a newb -- also, doesn't have to be 3K if that'd be a waste)!
I'm torn a bit between the whole fixed-gear thing and going for a hybrid mountain/speed bike. I ride 99% on paved surfaces, but these are a mix of paved surfaces in parks and suburban side walks and roads. I do hit hills, but want this bike for fitness as much as pleasure. I'm in shape, so this wouldn't be a huge step up from me, more of an enjoyable horizontal movement in the fitness game. (Also, better for my knees than running.)
I want it to be light, but am torn between the whole aluminum + carbon folks vs. all carbon divide.
I also want it to be made in USA or Germany or Japan, but it seems like that's impossible in the bike world?
Any recommendations? I've been toying around in the past couple pages of the thread, but feel a bit overwhelmed.
Thanks!

how 'bout going titanium?

salsa fargo ti

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

Check out a Cyclocross bike if you are after versatility. Cyclocross bikes will take a pounding, and can serve as a commuter workhorse, an off-road explorer, or a racer - with little more than a change of tyres. With a position like that of a road bike, a Cyclocross bike will be quick and efficient on the tarmac. However, off-road with its greater stability and grippier tyres - and its slightly lower gearing - it will surprise you how it can handle mud and tricky climbs.
Possibilities
Trek Cronus CX Pro
Trek Cronus CX Ultimate
Colnago World Cup 105
Kona Major Jake
Scott Addict CX

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Check out a Cyclocross bike if you are after versatility. Cyclocross bikes will take a pounding, and can serve as a commuter workhorse, an off-road explorer, or a racer - with little more than a change of tyres. With a position like that of a road bike, a Cyclocross bike will be quick and efficient on the tarmac. However, off-road with its greater stability and grippier tyres - and its slightly lower gearing - it will surprise you how it can handle mud and tricky climbs.
Possibilities
Trek Cronus CX Pro
Trek Cronus CX Ultimate
Colnago World Cup 105
Kona Major Jake
Scott Addict CX

+1.

Don't buy a single speed, you'll regret it after a while.

EMY

Reaction score

About to be put on the market. if interested please PM me. located in socal.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
damn, dealer texted me first thing this morning informing me that this month's shipment has my frame in:

there goes my ww chan budget.

EMY

Reaction score
ibis mojo? carbon?

you can save money by buying fork, wheels, brakes, etc. :D

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
mojo slr. I'm just getting the frame, and have everything transferred from my old mojo sl. :embar:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, I'm seeking some general thoughts from the riders here.

I'm in the market for a hybrid. What do folks here think of the Giant Seek II? I took it out on a ride last weekend and was a fan. It's a Small frame (only available) and I should be a Medium but it fit good after some adjustments of the ride height and moving the seat back a bit. Tried the Giant Escape City and Jamis Coda Sport (both in 19" frames). I had no problem with the Jamis but for some reason the Seek II just has my attention. My budget is $500-600, so at my local store they're all within the range (escape city low end at 500, coda sport top end at 560- seek II 550). How does the Specialized Sirrus line compare to these? It was available but I never got around to trying it out.

I intend to use the bike for commuting (3-5 miles one way), paved trails (excercise maybe 10-15 miles round trip) and leisure (3-5 miles one way). I'll likely consider putting fenders and a rear rack on it.

Thanks igents.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

for bicycle made in the us
rivendell
http://www.rivbike.com/

i think he does them out of steel.

or you could try the new bamboo ones.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
USA or Germany or Japan, seems like an odd set of countries to be picky about?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads