• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
new race bike

aa53b464.jpg

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

new race bike
aa53b464.jpg

Can't tell from the pics, does it have the typical Cannondale smooth (filed and filled) welds or are the welds left rough?

fp_panlvr

Reaction score

my new commuter bike: Redline Metro Classic. Steel, cyclcocross-ish geometry, disc brakes, fender/rack mounts... my city bike.
7041976473_a6c721bb37_c.jpg

I decided to build up the bike myself. I wanted to swap out the 2012 (now 10 speed) Tiagra Triple for a compact double from SRAM.
7041976385_f8bb744a8a_b.jpg

6895879366_a3c61fa538_c.jpg

6895938294_bfefcc32f8_z.jpg

The tire clearances look to be huge. I've got the stock 28c tires on right now.. but I know I have my options to go huge for the winter/dirt/trails/ect.
6895878918_70c40752e9_c.jpg

6895897836_af876623ec_c.jpg

At least I have a really "all around-er" bike now that I can use for the occasional dirt trail, maybe a cyclocross race, road riding, touring, commuting.. ect ect..

This looks like a cool little commuter. My first BMX bike was a Redline...eons ago...even raced it from time to time. :slayer:

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
welds seem to have been smoothed down a bit, they're definitely not raw welds

Last edited:

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My device for getting in some cardio and flexibility:

Last edited:

bwong337

Reaction score

gah, totally bit it on pink bike today. shifted gears on a down hill and i'm not quite sure what happened, but I think the the rear derailleur got loose or came off while shifting and now it is jacked. it ended up in my spokes, and me on the ground. soooo, back to having no operable bikes. i want to try to fix or replace this one myself but i'm again bummed to not have a ride.

Dang man, that sucks. This happened to my friend last week too. Since we're on the Westside, we took his bike to Bikrowave over in Mar Vista and they helped him fix up his bike. I'm not sure what area of LA you're in, but look out for those bike co-ops. They teach you how to fix your bike for a really low fee. There's one over in the Hollywood area called "Bike Kitchen".

Basically, my friend's deraileur hanger was bent and when he downshifted, the derailer jammed into his rear wheel and crashed. We took it into the co-op and had them look at it. Turns out they have this tool that screws into that spot on the part of the frame that's bent and basically forced it back into shape. The bike works well now. I'm not sure if that'll work for your bike though. I'd take it into one of those places to have it looked at.

Ride on! :slayer:

oisin

Reaction score

Dang man, that sucks. This happened to my friend last week too. Since we're on the Westside, we took his bike to Bikrowave over in Mar Vista and they helped him fix up his bike. I'm not sure what area of LA you're in, but look out for those bike co-ops. They teach you how to fix your bike for a really low fee. There's one over in the Hollywood area called "Bike Kitchen".
Basically, my friend's deraileur hanger was bent and when he downshifted, the derailer jammed into his rear wheel and crashed. We took it into the co-op and had them look at it. Turns out they have this tool that screws into that spot on the part of the frame that's bent and basically forced it back into shape. The bike works well now. I'm not sure if that'll work for your bike though. I'd take it into one of those places to have it looked at.
Ride on! :slayer:

ouch. yeah i'm on the west side too (for now). I should check that out, or something similar. Would be a good way to start getting some bike mechanic knowledge. thanks for the heads up.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have panniers?

no. I do have this for grocery runs though:

(yes its an over engineered milk crate... but its actually pretty cool because it has little wheels and is also a rolling grocery basket too... I just take it straight into the store then after put it right onto the bike. very very geeky/convenient)

topeak-tb2008-med.jpg

eventually I might get panniers... I'm not into the bike touring thing yet.

cmon man, get that rack flat

seat clearance issues with aforementioned folding basket:

topeak-cargo-net.jpg

seriously though, you're right. I basically just slapped on the rack and fenders to see what it would look like. I didn't really check if it was level or not.

And the fenders even with one another :devil:
No blinky lights?

:lol: I've got blinky lights for the back and normal small light for the front. I've even got the kryptonite NYC lock bracket (******* super ugly bracket) on the seat post. But I just kept it simple and clean for photogenic purposes. The bike gets a little uglier and uglier with the more useful **** installed.

Fender installation was actually tricky with this bike... the huge wheel clearance created issues:

I had to use caliper brake nuts to get the fender(s) near to the tires:

6902232032_06b611fe50_z.jpg

the bike has a lot of clearance for bigger tires:

I've got the stock 28c (measure true to width) on the wheels right now

7048324059_9b815cf42a_z.jpg

6902232292_5428227bee_z.jpg

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did that happen! It is the top of the seat-post isn't it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads