• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
@ BoomDiggs:

As Lawrence and Decades have already written, your issue is most likely the result of an improper position on the bike, rather than a fitness problem. Very likely it is the result of improper stem/bar position and possibly saddle alignment.

The suggestion to visit a good fitter is the best one, as they can watch you on the bike and propose adjustments (saddle position, stem and bar position). Why not go back to the shop where you originally purchased the bike?

In order to understand bike fit issues better, read these articles first. You can also, if possible, have someone photograph you on the bike, from the side while riding, so that you can then see if something is really obvious.

How to Fit a Bicycle, by Peter White

Bike Fit, by Jim Langley

You might also want to check out this fit calculator, in order to understand and note your own body measurements and general bike dimensions. Bear in mind, however, that these "fit calculators" cannot be precise, and cannot take into account specific body issues. They are only a general starting point and should not be regarded as absolute rules. The only absolute rules are those that you dial in yourself, over time, based on good suggestions annd experience.

Competitive Cyclist Fit Calculator

Finally, here's a pretty decent basic video, which at least gives you a visual idea of primary fit elements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I hope you find resolution soon; being uncomfortable on the bike is really a terrible feeling, and can even cause damage. Good luck!

This is all great. Thanks for all the resources.

oisin

Reaction score
When I got my bike I was pretty sure I didn't want clipless pedals, but after a few weeks of commuting, I feel like they may do me good. I would probably get the type where they are 1/2 clipless and 1/2 platform, because I also use my bike for quick errands and things.

I was looking at the following two--don't really know the difference. Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M32...d=H4ZGHHV4LBJG

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A53...d=H4ZGHHV4LBJG

What about shoes? Anything decent but fairly inexpensive? What should I look for? This wasn't an expense I was expecting to undertake, but for the daily commute and longer rides it seems to make sense.

Christobevii3

Reaction score
One is mountain bike flats and the other more roadish. Honestly they both suck and are heavy. Just get some look keo classics off ebay for $80. They are flat enough to ride a few miles with running shoes.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oisin
When I got my bike I was pretty sure I didn't want clipless pedals, but after a few weeks of commuting, I feel like they may do me good. I would probably get the type where they are 1/2 clipless and 1/2 platform, because I also use my bike for quick errands and things.

What about shoes? Anything decent but fairly inexpensive? What should I look for? This wasn't an expense I was expecting to undertake, but for the daily commute and longer rides it seems to make sense.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/general/reverence-time-iclic-pedals/

Get some time pedals...they make some half platform/half clipless as well as DH pedals similar to those second SPD ones (clips on both sides but a wide platform)...but really you would be fine in normal shoes for a few miles in either ATACs or their road pedals.

If you go with the time ATAC pedals, you get a wider variety of shoe choices that don't look like foot mounted race cars...the cleats are really small and the shoes are easy to walk in. Just go try things on in a bike shop...you don't need anything expensive with carbon soles and fancy tightening methods...normal reinforced soles with laces are fine.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
couple of shots I did of my bikes while having beer in the garage...
252154_10150214799577855_623762854_7092317_6001657_n.jpg
250563_10150214800072855_623762854_7092319_4129979_n.jpg

gauche.story

Reaction score
I just got a cherry '86 Peugeot. Steel frame, tight geometry.

It's like flying.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
couple of shots I did of my bikes while having beer in the garage...

Oh gawds, I've been drooling over that Ibis for a while now. Please tell me it's a **** ride that I should stop caring about.
wink.gif

b

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Oh gawds, I've been drooling over that Ibis for a while now. Please tell me it's a **** ride that I should stop caring about.
wink.gif

b

they're ******. they don't climb like mountain goats in heat, they're as plush as a cement pillow in the rough, and they handle like a blind kid with a.d.d.
lol8[1].gif

seriously, I really think ibis has it figured out.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about the new Ibis, but the old Ibis was absolutely great and innovative. The Spanky, Hakkalugi, Silk Ti, Bow-ti...all amazing bikes. For a very brief time (like, minutes) Carl Strong was going to build their bikes when Ibis fell on hard times. Now, I don't have a clue who builds them, but I see Scot Nicol is still involved. Are they only c-f now?

WUKILLABEEZ78

Reaction score
Has anyone painted their bike themselves or had theirs painted somewhere? I have a bike that I'd like to paint black (currently red). Was considering having it powercoated. I know some have done it themselves but I'm not sure I want to spend the time/effort (not to mention risk) of doing it on my own...

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
they're ******. they don't climb like mountain goats in heat, they're as plush as a cement pillow in the rough, and they handle like a blind kid with a.d.d.
lol8[1].gif

seriously, I really think ibis has it figured out.

Originally Posted by venessian
I know nothing about the new Ibis, but the old Ibis was absolutely great and innovative. The Spanky, Hakkalugi, Silk Ti, Bow-ti...all amazing bikes. For a very brief time (like, minutes) Carl Strong was going to build their bikes when Ibis fell on hard times. Now, I don't have a clue who builds them, but I see Scot Nicol is still involved. Are they only c-f now?

With fingers in ears: I'm not listening! I'm not listening! Shutupshutupshutupshutup!

Blerg, I need a new mt. bike like a hole in the head. It'd probably sit in my house most of the time. With me. Alone. Because my wife left me for spending that much money.

b

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ78
Has anyone painted their bike themselves or had theirs painted somewhere? I have a bike that I'd like to paint black (currently red). Was considering having it powercoated. I know some have done it themselves but I'm not sure I want to spend the time/effort (not to mention risk) of doing it on my own...

I wouldn't suggest it unless you have access to a compressor and real paint.

I have a little painting experience and I was able to do a really nice job with spraypaint. The only problem is that spraypaint these days sucks balls so your beautiful paint will scratch and chip about 20X easier than factory paint (and about 30x easier than powdercoat).

If the bike won't be in a situation to get scratched (I may have raced cross and commuted on mine...) you can do it...just remember it is 90% in the prep work. Careful prep down to base metal and than sanding lightly between primer/base coats (everything except the clear) takes forever but before my frame got all dinged up, people thought it was a pro powder job until I told them it was rattle can.

I regret not sending it to the coater...if you have a low cost provider nearby, it is totally worth the powdercoat. I probably spent $50 or so on paints and materials (stripper and sand papers) and enough hours that paying an extra 75-100 on top of the materials cost to have it all just done by a pro would have been a much better idea.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ78

I agree with what otc said above. I have seen a lot of good rattle can jobs, but that won't be as durable as powder, as otc pointed out. If you are also applying clear, that does get sanded between coats, with very fine paper (i.e. 4000 grit).

If you live in an area where there are industrial powder-coaters, many of those companies will do it. A nice auto body shop may also do it, when they are spraying a car at the same time/same color. Obviously neither of those outfits will do fine detail work or provide decals.

Of course if your frame or fork are carbon-fiber, they can't be powder-coated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads