• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

velobran

Reaction score
Also be sure to check out ProBikeKit.com for good prices on Sidis ... or anything imported for that matter. They are best when the GBP is weaker though.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that comic on BF today.. pretty hilarious.

It should be noted that many, many people have issues with their CCs after shopping with PBK - this has reportedly happened with Wiggle/CRC as well but is nowhere near as prevalent it would seem. It may be wise to use a temporary card when shopping with them or (what I did) using PayPal. I've ordered from Wiggle/CRC with no issues; I have not yet tried PBK.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I need to find something other than Chuck's to ride in, the soles have become soft & the pedals are starting to dig in. Maybe something on STP?

Originally Posted by bigbris1
Not going clipless gents, I'm keeping it all the way old school.

Crap, you wrote STP- at first glance I thought you said SPD!
facepalm.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I saw that comic on BF today.. pretty hilarious.

It should be noted that many, many people have issues with their CCs after shopping with PBK - this has reportedly happened with Wiggle/CRC as well but is nowhere near as prevalent it would seem. It may be wise to use a temporary card when shopping with them or (what I did) using PayPal. I've ordered from Wiggle/CRC with no issues; I have not yet tried PBK.

Is that supposed to be the Frazz guy on that comic? The guy who does Frazz is a Jeff.

I had something somewhat shady happen with PBK a couple years ago.
Nothing wrong with my CC or my order but within a few days of ordering, I started getting massive amounts of UK oriented SPAM.

PBK themselves are pretty good though. I had a problem with a different order missing one item and an email to customer service took care of that. They use Royal Mail/USPS so little worry about paying duty. Order get to me faster than a place like Performance/Nashbar.

Their prices used to be a lot better and they seem to be out of stock on stuff that I need lately though.

camhard

Reaction score
I'll post up pics of my bikes in a few minutes (I'll go take some).

probikekit.com is great.

I love my speedplay zeros, though I must admit, I've never ridden anything else. I've also never fallen, and find I don't even have to consciously clip out (i.e. I go to put my foot down, and it just happens). I never come out when I don't want to though. I also have only ridden with carbon soles, so I don't know if the pedal is uncomfortable, though I doubt it's an issue. Don't walk on tile without the covers!!!! It's embarrassing. Agreed that missing the pedal and hitting the carbon is scary.

Campy is the ****. Shimano is ****, and I've never tried Sram (road), but it looks nice, and I like their mountain stuff. I don't actually hate Shimano, just not a fan. Obviously it's good stuff though... I have a Dura Ace front hub, on my Bianchi/Campy ride... guess I don't meet the Eurocyclist rules. I also don't have enough white.

One question: I've just started riding again (used to be quite into mountain biking and trials, got my first road bike 8 months ago, and am now starting to ride/train) and am worried about my legs getting bigger. I know it's kinda lame, but I don't really want them to be much bigger. Is there any way to avoid gaining a lot of size?

Chris%20Hoy%20legs.jpg

Thanks.

camhard

Reaction score
Here they are. I rode the Bianchi in the rain the other day, so i need to give it a solid wash etc. (don't worry, I took care of the drivetrain ASAP and gave the whole thing a quick wipe).

3595649203_3c21fcba67_b.jpg

I'm going to paint this one in a month or so; thinking light green with gunmetal on the fork lowers and crown... but maybe something else. Suggestions are welcome. It's just a simple, solid street rig. Thomson post and stem are really the only top end stuff, everything else is pretty average, but still good. I liked it brakeless a lot, but it's just too inconvenient a lot of the time.

3596458838_defe549a9f_b.jpg

Before they shifted to Taiwan (which, according to what I heard, isn't necessarily a bad thing).

3595653361_8ef33d0833_b.jpg

Disgraceful.

3596460064_11da39df06_b.jpg

I'd love a pair of Ergo IIs. I might do it, but I'm thinking I'll just go for Genius 5s. My current Answer shoes are painful.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hate cycling shoes. usually i wear whatever shoes i'm wearing, but for serious days of biking i wear vans "cog" eras, they were a special series of reinforced canvas versions of the shoe made for riders of fixed gear bikes. mine are pretty broken in by now.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
camhard, i really like the street rig. I'm going to strip down my old p.2 and build it up like that when i get a chance? what tires are you running and how do you like them?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I think I am missing the point of the street rig.

Is it a wannabe combo of a bmx and a mountain bike. It's got the big suspension fork but why even bother having that seat? it looks too low to sit on.

It looks like it would be a lot of fun to ride for a a short distance but I don't know how I would get around to using it

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by camhard

One question: I've just started riding again (used to be quite into mountain biking and trials, got my first road bike 8 months ago, and am now starting to ride/train) and am worried about my legs getting bigger. I know it's kinda lame, but I don't really want them to be much bigger. Is there any way to avoid gaining a lot of size?

Chris%20Hoy%20legs.jpg

Thanks.

It pretty much depends on your body. I thought I had big legs before I started cycling. They weren't huge, but bigger than the average guy (I used to do a lot of squats in HS ... 13 years ago). Now, they are bigger ... probably about 24" around. It definitely makes "slim" pants hard to wear.

If you used to mountain bike seriously, then I don't think they'll get that much bigger. If you become a track cyclist, your legs will grow to at least 45" like the picture you posted within the first few hours.
worship.gif

camhard

Reaction score
Yes, the street rig is a mix between a mountain bike and a bmx. It is quite different from both though (if you want a detailed explanation, I'll send you a PM). While I don't sit on my seat much while riding, it still provides control and protection (imagine a bare seat tube). I also sit on it if I'm hanging around (I dirt jump and ride street in addition to going to the store etc. so I'm not always up and moving).

Thanks for all the comments.

Also, I forgot to comment on the questions regarding five ten shoes. They do make a bike specific shoe, though the Guide Tennies (the ones pictured) are fine, or even better in my opinion. I bought them a few years ago, and tried them when I went to whistler to ride big bikes because I had no better shoes. They worked really well and are quite comfortable. I don't think they look that great though... compared to say a tennis shoe, lower profile skate shoe, canvas sneaker, etc. which I also like riding in.

EDIT: The tires are Kenda K-Rads. I like them a lot. They aren't the 'best' tire out there, but I'm not a fan of slicker tires, and quite like the performance on dirt as well as concrete. I think they are some of the better looking tires too. Kenda Block 8s are also pretty nice.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by camhard
EDIT: The tires are Kenda K-Rads. I like them a lot. They aren't the 'best' tire out there, but I'm not a fan of slicker tires, and quite like the performance on dirt as well as concrete. I think they are some of the better looking tires too. Kenda Block 8s are also pretty nice.
Ah ok thanks. I was looking at the Maxxis Holy Rollers, and those look pretty similar.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where does one get cheap wheels? My local used supplier has nothing in a rear 700c and online places only seem to sell nicer stuff (even nashbar's house brand is like $80 minimum).

I've gone to a bike shop and bought a new wheel for 40-60 before. Just some no-name alloy rim on a reasonable hub. Not super light or preformancey but cheap for a tool-around, leave outside bike.

Where are these wheels coming from? So many bike parts can be had for almost half what the LBS charges online so why are the cheapest wheels I can find at any of the big discounters costing me MORE than the cheap LBS wheels (yeah, shipping can be a ***** but so is 10% chicago tax and I am looking at pre-ship prices here). Even ebay seems to suck for used/new cheapies considering ebay usually loves to sell masses of off-brand ****

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads