• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

emptym

Reaction score
Great recommendations from Venessian, and I like otc's thread rec.

Until recently, I used a Busch and Mueller Eyro battery headlight. But I wish I'd sprung for a dynamo. (I really wanted a Schmidt/SON one, which Peter White also carries, but it's very expensive, imo.) My B&M headlight failed after only about 4 months, and their customer service hasn't replied after a few weeks. So I went back to my old setup: a Maratac AAA flashlight zip-tied to my helmet.

I have this taillight, tucked under my seat. Looks good, is bright, has motion sensing, and even an alarm, which I don't use. Tough to steal too, since it's wedged tightly between the seat rails and is also secured with a tiny hex screw. Battery lasts about six weeks between charging.

Btw, I'm thinking about moving this thread to the "Fine Living" subforum, where it may get more views. Anyone think that's a bad idea?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Which Busch and Mueller battery light did you have? I was considering one of those as c compromise between a dynomo set up and your typical bike light. They are supposed to spread light a superior pattern and not cause any blinding issues for oncoming traffic.

Thanks for the taillight rec. I'm running some inexpensive blinkers for now. Always in solid light mode at night so I don't attract drunk drivers. :smile:

I'd be cool if you moved the thread. Anything to help get some activity going.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Purchased an Outershell 137 Basket Bag while they were on sale a couple weeks back. Sits perfectly in a Wald 137 on the front of my bike. Been pretty happy with the setup so far. Storage space in the bag seems plenty for my needs at the moment and I like the flexibility of being able to quickly remove the bag of I need the basket for more general needs.

Only thing I don't like is the attachment hardware that came with the Wald basket, but I knew that going in. It all looks a little janky. I plan to get a real front rack down the road and attach the basket to it.

Link to the bag I got:

https://www.outershelladventure.com/shop/137-basket-bag

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spotted this recently which I think is starting to look like Jr's ultimate desire

IMG_20181129_125323.jpg

Got the Dynamo lights, rack with the low pannier bar, full lenders, and really tall bars.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Missing the front rack, but otherwise not a bad build.

Here's an example along the lines of what i'm thinking. Front rack with Wald basket strapped to it. Some kind of light in the front attached to the rack. Seems like a versatile setup. Basket would be easy to remove when needed.

847A8F73-9AB9-4747-B850-928CBCCD4D4E.jpeg

Edit 2 more examples:

EF78BB11-C9B9-4D14-8FC4-9367E511D585.jpeg

32B313D2-9E2C-4A5E-8427-5F09BA895C20.jpeg

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it upside-down for you? Looked fine on my phone... But not it looks wrong

Alexidb

Reaction score
Maybe also check Harris Cyclery to see if Sheldon Brown ever wrote about them (he must have) and or ask on a place like Paceline Forum? Or, randonneuring bicycle sites, there must be some out there.
Anything Sheldon wrote about dynamo lighting is going to be dated at this point. Technology has improved, and its improved fast. Also Sheldon wasn’t a great mechanic, Harris made a name with Elton Pope Lance as a mechanic. Sheldon was a great aggregator of info but you need to take what he said with a grain of salt.

Interesting. I don’t have the link, but I’ve read that studies have shown racks/bags don’t actually cause that much resistance
That would be BQ, and honestly it’s BS. A big bag is going to create as much drag as your an equal frontage as your body. Fenders and water bottles however can create a more aerodynamic shape.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Jr Mouse
What’s important to you, being seen or lighting up the road?

Both. I do want to have a reliable way to light up the road when things get dark. For example there are park trails near where I live that are not lit well for example. Not talking riding in the woods when it's pitch black, but dark enough that having the added light is useful.

Alexidb

Reaction score
Both. I do want to have a reliable way to light up the road when things get dark. For example there are park trails near where I live that are not lit well for example. Not talking riding in the woods when it's pitch black, but dark enough that having the added light is useful.
For general city riding and dark bike paths the B&M EYC is fine. For actual touring I’ve been a fan of the Supernovas for years. I’ve moved on to SineWave Beacons on my touring and my mountain bikes. I like the two settings of the Beacon and the fact you can run it out and back in from a battery pack.

emptym

Reaction score
@Jr Mouse, I have the B&M Eyro. I wouldn't recommend it though. I liked how it had a light + reflector and mounted on the fork. It's fine for an urban commute but not good for dark trails.

I like that green machine. This Nua seems like your style too:
lateral.jpg

More here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Jr Mouse, I have the B&M Eyro. I wouldn't recommend it though. I liked how it had a light + reflector and mounted on the fork. It's fine for an urban commute but not good for dark trails.

I like that green machine. This Nua seems like your style too:
View attachment 1094474
More here.

I still don't like the erection look of the sram hydros... But I love reworking them to function as rolloff shifters

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw, I'm thinking about moving this thread to the "Fine Living" subforum, where it may get more views. Anyone think that's a bad idea?
Might be a good idea. You surely know much more about site traffic than I do, but this thread is pretty moribund here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics