• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not specifically for BMX but any type of bikes. Not to mention, I figure people could ask for recommendations for bikes and such in one thread. This is also my selfish way of asking a few questions and posting pictures of my recent purchases..
plain.gif
Pedal recommendation for a newb? Shoe recommendation for a newb? I was looking at Sidi Ergo 2's because I found them at around half off with some Speedplay Zeros and then I thought to myself, I do not need to take the StyleForum approach to cycling and could probably get away with something nice but cheaper. It seems there are advocates for each pedal system so hearing some feedback from you guys would be great. Why would anyone spend money on Campy Super Record 11 vs. your Shimano Ultegra? It shaves off some weight and is Italian which.. at the end of the day, I doubt the 2 pounds are really what makes anyone into a world-class cyclist but I digress. I've wondered this because I've seen in a number of cases people say you wouldn't upgrade until your current parts are one with the fishes and even then, I don't see why me going with SRAM Red (cool as it looks) would ever be a good idea. I can ask these questions here without getting lambasted by the BF'ers. Appreciation to come later.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you looking to buy a (road) bike, or do you already have one and are just looking for pedal recs?

I agree that you do not need the ultra-high end stuff unless you're at least semi-seriously competing. BFers are a little crazy.... bt I guess we are here too. I've never tried Speedplays. I have Shimano SPDs and they work well enough for me.

My own question: Can anybody give me some good recommendations on where to ride in the DC area? I moved here from Texas and was spoiled by nice open country roads. Stoplights really piss me off.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Already have a road bike. DC area riding that I've done is W&OD Trail / GW Parkway + Mount Vernon. A shortage of lights on both (far more on W&OD but it depends on where on the trail you are). Capital Crescent/Rock Creek Parkway are also popular but I've never done either of them myself. In one thread over there, I said the way they treat people about department store bikes is identical to how we treat people about Stacy Adams/Kenneth Cole. All enthusiast forums have their things that they're asinine about. Want: Orbea Orca Frame

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I've done Mt. Vernon and a bit of Rock Creek Parkway. Both were pretty fun.

I've wondered if a mountain bike would actually be more useful in the area.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
Thanks. I've done Mt. Vernon and a bit of Rock Creek Parkway. Both were pretty fun.

I've wondered if a mountain bike would actually be more useful in the area.

If you want to do C&O, yes.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bet you think you're smart because you used "desiderata."

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm registered at BikeForums.net and the RoadBikeReviews forum.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there really a 2 lb difference in top end campy and ultegra? I doubt it.

Anyway, I've never ridden speedplays but the one knock I hear of them is the size, as in there is not a whole lot of space to really mash down on, especially if you have massive feet. The fix for this is to get a very very stiff shoe, likely with a carbon plate, but then it is not as comfortable. Weigh what's important to you, but ride the clip before you buy it.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Road pedals?
SPD-SL. If my wife can use them, anyone can use them.
Plus you can sort of walk in them without killing yourself.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strongly doubt it (that there's a 2 pound difference); exaggeration for effect. I'm leaning more and more toward the SPD-SLs. Pedals on eBay are 100 bucks, 160 at LBS.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
What is a good Bike Forum to look at while I anxiously wait for my bike to arrive?

bikeforums.net is like Styleforum for bikes. They even have their own version of vox.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my old bike, the frame was made to my specifications by a small manufacturer in Poland:

Mielec10.jpg

Here is a video:

http://tv.isg.si/site/filebrowser/BenRuckerFilms (download short trials film)

Sadly I sold that bike and now only ride road; I have a vintage Eddy Mercx frame from the 80's that I built up.

Ciao! Time for bed...

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ cool trials bike and video. what brakes are those?

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my bike when I first built it this fall:
n9500229_32237058_1032.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads