• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm surprised the bottom bracket was done so quickly. Tropical living, I guess...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I approached my 1 year anniversary with the Domane with about 2300 miles and while still under warranty, I took her to the shop for a pro maintenance session. Got a "level 2" service covering all the usual wear and tear stuff but also replaced the bottom bracket and got an ultegra chain. Tech said my shifting looks good so sprockets are still ok.

When the handed it back to me he said "it's like new" and, wow, I didn't realize how much little play had trickled in everywhere over time that was now suddenly gone. Shifting is back to feeling precise and brakes with new pads are biting hard and fast.

All told it was about $300 but feels worth it. I had done some basic maintenance on my previous bikes but hadn't touched the Domane for fear of messing it up. I will likely man up and do some of the maintenance on her this year to being that bill down next time around.
I just had the Level 2 done in Dual Sport and it is like getting a new bike. Domane up next.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm surprised the bottom bracket was done so quickly. Tropical living, I guess...
The tech said it was heading south but would likely be fine for another 3-6months'ish (seat of the pants guess given it's progress so far). So not really necessary yet, but worth doing now to save another trip in.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tech said it was heading south but would likely be fine for another 3-6months'ish (seat of the pants guess given it's progress so far). So not really necessary yet, but worth doing now to save another trip in.
I like to have mine tip-top for the riding the season as I tend to ride them hard and not do much maintenance myself.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you wash your bike/drivetrain often? I was recently scolded by my LBS for washing every other long ride (which ends up being weekly) - they said I’ll end up needing a new bottom bracket prematurely. But I can’t stand the grime that accumulates on our streets and in our weather

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you wash your bike/drivetrain often? I was recently scolded by my LBS for washing every other long ride (which ends up being weekly) - they said I’ll end up needing a new bottom bracket prematurely. But I can’t stand the grime that accumulates on our streets and in our weather
I live in an apartment and don't even have access to a hose. Sometime the building next to ours leaves one connected and I can hose the grime off. I kind of miss my garage.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good call + yes! I ride 45 miles a week and it almost always gets a good bath and detailing at the end of the week. I'm good about drying it quickly and not forcing water in anywhere but I'm sure it still finds its way around. Here in central Florida there's a good amount of sand grit in our soil and grime and I can't stand the idea of leaving it on the bike any longer than necessary. Plus I'm addicted to the look of a clean chain. If that means a new BB every year, I guess sign me up!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like to have mine tip-top for the riding the season as I tend to ride them hard and not do much maintenance myself.
:slayer:

I live in an apartment and don't even have access to a hose. Sometime the building next to ours leaves one connected and I can hose the grime off. I kind of miss my garage.
Ugh, that would kill me not being able to keep her spiffy. Then again, y'all up north have to deal with snow + salt grime for 1/5 of the year in general and that's a whole 'nother level of mess.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Garden sprayer works.

Can mix in a little rinseless wash too.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great ride on both days this stiflingly hot weekend. Lots of ice in the CamelBak and one beer stop. I love cycling in DC. Next up are some longer trail rides moving toward a Century ride sooner than later.

8C209F26-3D8A-4EC1-A926-1D75BB863192.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wife has been down with Covid but I keep testing negative. So I decided to test out whether I was sick in a more practical way. Seem to have passed for the most part:

08DA38AE-7735-4654-8839-B5A200885CC0.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
40 miles and less than 200 feet?!

• Haha
Reactions: otc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads