• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember that 16 year old kid in TX that ran over several cyclists in his pickup? Charges finally filed.

(11/8/2021 – Waller County Criminal District Attorney)
On September 25, 2021 a sixteen year old drove his truck into six bicyclists that were training through Waller County. Over the last six weeks this office has assigned its own investigators to seek out evidence, and to interview the victims and witnesses. We very much appreciate the patience of the victims and their attorneys as we have attempted to reconstruct the events, and to assess and gather the evidence that was not obtained that day. Today we have filed six felony charges of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon against the juvenile in question, one charge for each cyclist that was injured. Earlier today the juvenile voluntarily surrendered himself, and was detained by representatives from the juvenile justice department where he will be held in custody until further orders of the juvenile court. Thanks to the Waller County Sheriff’s Office and the Texas Department of Public Safety for their assistance in seeking justice for these individuals. We wish them the speediest of recoveries on their long journey ahead, and remind everyone to share the roads, obey the traffic laws, and to treat each other with the respect that we all deserve. Attorneys for the victims will be kept apprised of the status of the cases as they make their way through the justice system.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Should have been charged as an adult. I'm 100% sure if a black kid in Texas had taken a baseball bat to those cyclists he'd have been arrested on the spot and would be charged as an adult. White kid in an expensive truck gets to go home and is charged as a juvie. At least those sound like some pretty good charges so there's that.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Work is back full-force and the season changed really putting a crimp in my cycling. Lost some mojo but heading out on a hopefully long ride today thanks to holiday.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Look who works for the government! ;)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who was it that looking for Intense bikes? I noticed that my local shop had done in stock. I’m heading there now.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who was it that looking for Intense bikes? I noticed that my local shop had done in stock. I’m heading there now.
Me, but only really the ones Costco was selling at a great price. At the price points of the normal Intense bikes, I'd probably go in a different direction.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm running Specialized Roubaix 2Bliss 30/32c on my road bike. I've ridden them on glass-strewn, potholed streets in SF/Oakland and the trails in the Marin Headlands without issue, so I think they're up for what you've described.

Gave these a little 8.5mi ride around town to help get the sealant to do its job...they were quite nice to ride. I didn't hit the worst roads, but they felt plush like gravel tires I took off, but without the sketchyness of soft side knobs wandering around in corners.

They also mounted up super easily. Mounting the gravel tires was my first attempt at mounting small road-sized tubless and it was a ***** and made a mess...had to go to a gas station air compressor to get them on.

These mounted right up using a little pumped up garden sprayer for the initial air boost...except they wouldn't hold air long. Was standing in my garage the other day and suddenly heard a hissing sound and turned to watch as the rear deflated (front was already soft).
Figured it was because I hadn't yet given them a good ride to really shake up the sealant and force it into the bead with some tire flex/movement...hopefully they stay inflated now.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ate it today. Hit something at speed that instantly pinch flatted both tires and caused terminal wobble and crash. I’m ok, bike is not - tires and drivetrain will be repaired but crank arms, brake lever, and derailleur housing have deep unsightly gouges in them now.

sitting at LBS feeling sorry for myself, I let them console me by upselling me into a Ceramicspeed ospw:happy: . They’re actually doing the repairs/tune up for free with my purchase of the ospw so there’s that.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sitting at LBS feeling sorry for myself, I let them console me by upselling me into a Ceramicspeed ospw:happy: . They’re actually doing the repairs/tune up for free with my purchase of the ospw so there’s that.

I didn't realize you were changing careers, but congrats on your acceptance into dental school!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm into this idea:

Big exposed 12sp derailleurs are exposed and fragile...and high pivot bikes are now a "thing" so having the extra idler pulley above the bottom bracket is already existent on production bikes.

The idea could probably use a little more refinement, but assuming the guy is willing to let others run with it (rather than being tight fisted with his patent), I could see this working out. Especially with carbon frames where you've got more opportunities to hide the tensioner equipment inside frame components.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm into this idea:

The idea could probably use a little more refinement, but assuming the guy is willing to let others run with it (rather than being tight fisted with his patent), I could see this working out.

The inventor can't enforce their patent outside of Canada and the US ;)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wouldn't a Rohloff be a simpler way to get a robust drivetrain?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm into this idea:

Big exposed 12sp derailleurs are exposed and fragile...and high pivot bikes are now a "thing" so having the extra idler pulley above the bottom bracket is already existent on production bikes.

The idea could probably use a little more refinement, but assuming the guy is willing to let others run with it (rather than being tight fisted with his patent), I could see this working out. Especially with carbon frames where you've got more opportunities to hide the tensioner equipment inside frame components.

Interesting concept and it seems like he's solved a handful of problems (less drag, more protection) but at the expense of requiring a new frame design. If he can partner with an existing frame builder, it may work. Love the innovation but wonder if it will gain acceptance.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wouldn't a Rohloff be a simpler way to get a robust drivetrain?

You calling this thing simple? ;)
1638748279072.png

You can't use an internal geared hub with rear suspension without a chain tensioner (which needs to be robust on a FS MTB), which is half of what this guy has designed.

Also the Rohloff is heavy AF (unsprung weight), expensive AF, and less efficient than a derailleur bike.

This guy's idea is actually pretty simple. The derailleur pretty much looks like a standard derailleur arm up until the guide pulley...and he moves the idler pulley and chain tensioner to the chainring side of things (which is made possible because everyone in the last few years switched to 1x drivetrains with small chainrings).
The tensioner gets a little fancy because he's trying to do *better* than the current chain tensioner, but it is not clear that you really need a constant tension design.

And sure, it requires new frame designs, but that's always happening anyways.
Trek is running a high pivot DH bike this year:
1638748762487.png

That pivot is probably too low to have room for this guy's tensioner, but other designs leave plenty of room:
1638748869503.png

Especially since this guy appears to have a cable-driven chain tensioner--so you can just stash the tensioner away in the downtube wherever it is convenient.

Notice that both of those designs already have a fixed redirector for the chain because you'd have nothing but dropped chains and tension issues trying to reach a chain to a fully extended 12sp MTB derailleur.
Swap that fixed piece out with a moving tensioner pulley and you're there.

Who knows if this guy will succeed--you basically need SRAM or Shimano to license it. A frame company taking it up would be hard (I doubt this guy is ready to manufacture and provide parts).
Additionally, breaking derailleurs isn't THAT big of a problem. Yeah, my eagle derailleur sticks quite far out, but I've managed to not destroy it yet, hangers are replaceable, and even if you trash one, they aren't that expensive.

So maybe it only works out as a niche enduro racing design. Somewhere where you want the suspension dynamics of a high pivot, but where you also care about keeping the derailleur safe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads