• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1634768483870.png

Riding Chad Kroeger...just another thing Piobaire has in common with Avril Lavigne.

Yes, I know it says "mountain", but you know he won't give up that Integrated Storage and switch to a boutique brand if he buys a MTB

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Changed up the bar tape a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. Supacaz is sticky and feels great. Bike came with a foam like bar tape that I hated when it got wet. This stuff is great!

3DF79B78-0F30-455A-91CE-7288E7D1A2B0.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'd certainly enter her integrated storage.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still don’t know much about pro cycling but I get news articles about it in my feed, now that I spend more time researching gear, routes and training plans.

I’m getting the sense that women’s cycling is somewhat of a smoke show. Exhibit A:

DB420D38-2A04-4399-8E10-D0923163B651.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Changed up the bar tape a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. Supacaz is sticky and feels great. Bike came with a foam like bar tape that I hated when it got wet. This stuff is great!

View attachment 1689651
I have that same tape on my gravel bike, and another couple of rolls for the road bike when I get around to it. It’s quite good! The stock Specialized tape on my Tarmac is two years old and has held up amazingly well. It’s also good, but I slightly prefer the Supacaz.

I started on the tops and wrapped down to the ends so that I didn’t have to use the finishing tape. Working out so far.

854BF12E-0461-4C39-96F6-36B6F34825D0.jpeg
77D80968-6704-4B07-B338-B29D2BB1530A.jpeg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Intense is here. Still getting it set up but really impressed so far. Colors look way better in person.

And it came with a legit tool kit. Check out this super nice torque wrench
PXL_20211022_023806388.jpg

I was about to buy one but this is way nicer.

Decent 3 way Allen wrench rather than cheapos.

Shock pump. Some junky pedals.

They threw in a matching bottle and cage.

Came with bottles of tubeless sealant and valves (I thought it was only coming with tubes, so there's another 20-30 bucks saved).

Comes in at 32.7lbs with tubes, cheap wheels, NX cassette, and the junk pedals.

I think that's pretty dang good for that price point with that much travel, a fox 36, and in an XL frame.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had a new experience today: looked down at my handlebars and the wahoo bolt wasn't there.

Had an idea of where it might have come off (got stuck on a climb and bumped up against my bars). Cross referenced with the "live track" link on my phone to know it made it at least that far on the trail.

Found it about where I expected it to be, sitting in the leaves on the side of the trail.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What mount are you using? I am struggling to imagine how I could do this

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That bike has the zip-tie bar mount (the road bike got the out-front mount...and I figured another out front mount would be more of a crash issue on the MTB since the bars don't stick forward and shelter it).

Honestly, I'm not clear how it could happen either. I have the thing zip tied so close to the stem that the stem gets in the way when you try to install it...so it requires even more force than normal.

But it did. I had to go back and get it. And I was 8+ miles into the ride already so its not like it just wasn't mounted.

I bailed when I was climbing and my front wheel hit something that it decided NOT to roll over...I was headed forward, popped out of both pedals, and got my junk dangerously close bashing into the stem (and I guess going OTB if I kept going?). The Bolt is on the right hand side of the bar so hitting the bottom left corner could in theory twist it out.

Stem is too short to hold anything and a steerer-cap mount would be more in the way but perhaps a safety tether like this wouldn't be an awful idea:
1635046627499.png

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bet an out-front mount wouldn’t make the Bolt particularly vulnerable in a crash

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice photo bomb!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics