• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've not had that happen to me in the past, even without the bolt on the valve however seeing how tubes are constructed, it seems like this could happen easily. Are you on tubeless tires?
No, standard tube. Might have been a flaw in the tube.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhhh baby shorter stem = better fit

61CA3F20-5248-4094-A908-EE81DEC4C560.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'M GOING FOR A RIDE TOMORROW, BIZNATCHES!!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Seriously, five weeks for an old guy? And I started doing weights/ROM last weekend at four weeks? Imma take it.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty much what I asked for when I ordered my Rock Lobster in 2007, except in steel.
I'd really like to ride a high end ti road bike. My first road bike was a steel Lemond Zurich from 01 or 02 (pre Trek) and since the late 00's I've ridden CF road bikes. I love the feel of my ti MTB and it felt significantly different than alu HT's of the day. Most of my riding buddies in the 00's had aluminum HT's from Trek or Specialized.

I'm curious how a modern geometry, ti road bike feels compared to modern CF bike. I'm guessing the ti bike w/CF fork and wheels wouldn't be a huge difference (to me) but that's just a guess. I still just like the look of ti.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve never ridden Ti. Is it going to be one of those rabbit holes that will end up costing $12k? :cry:

I’ve been training in earnest the last six months - I basically do no other cardio days but cycling (weightlifting and really pathetic yoga other days) - and I’m at the point where I can do 40 mile rides fairly comfortably. I seem to have plateaued there though.

I have to mention that I use no data other than tracking speed/distance/time on cyclemeter and heart rate/calorie burn on Fitbit. Do I have to invest in more data gathering devices to improve endurance? I don’t have bike computer, heart rate halter or power meter…

perhaps answering my own question, but I do tend to go hard because I’ve always felt like I’m wasting my time/I get bored if my heart rate isn’t at least decently up there. I can’t help it - I do it with every form of exercise, not just cycling

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never ridden Ti. Is it going to be one of those rabbit holes that will end up costing $12k? :cry:

I’ve been training in earnest the last six months - I basically do no other cardio days but cycling (weightlifting and really pathetic yoga other days) - and I’m at the point where I can do 40 mile rides fairly comfortably. I seem to have plateaued there though.

I have to mention that I use no data other than tracking speed/distance/time on cyclemeter and heart rate/calorie burn on Fitbit. Do I have to invest in more data gathering devices to improve endurance? I don’t have bike computer, heart rate halter or power meter…

perhaps answering my own question, but I do tend to go hard because I’ve always felt like I’m wasting my time/I get bored if my heart rate isn’t at least decently up there. I can’t help it - I do it with every form of exercise, not just cycling

I did my first century in 1997, long before I’d ever heard of power meters or periodicized training. I did maybe have an advantage in that my dad was an endurance runner and coach, so nutrition and the basics of training weren’t mysteries.

The general advice is not to go hard all the time. If you’re interested in books on training, look for Thomas Chapple’s book Base Building For Cyclists (he’s the coach my wife worked with training for RAAM) and John Hughes’ book Distance Cycling (he’s a legend in ultra cycling).

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did my first century in 1997, long before I’d ever heard of power meters or periodicized training. I did maybe have an advantage in that my dad was an endurance runner and coach, so nutrition and the basics of training weren’t mysteries.

The general advice is not to go hard all the time. If you’re interested in books on training, look for Thomas Chapple’s book Base Building For Cyclists (he’s the coach my wife worked with training for RAAM) and John Hughes’ book Distance Cycling (he’s a legend in ultra cycling).
Thanks, read the Chapple book excerpt and it seems to be exactly what I need.

cycling is just a different mindset for me. I enjoy the challenge and benefits of anaerobic exercise, but i derive enjoyment from getting on a bike and getting out there and exploring…so I need the pacing to be able to get out a good distance (and get back)

I guess it’s an ‘old habits die hard’ kinda thing. Although ngl I’m looking at bike computer reviews rn…

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
4 flats in 3 rides. ******* hell. And that's after I switched to Armadillos.
Make that 5 flats in 4 rides. Took it back to the shop for the third time, they insisted that it was bad luck or I was doing something wrong, but I pointed out that at least two of those flats happened within <1 mile after they changed the tube for me. They had a closer look and found an almost invisible bit of wire embedded on the inside of my tire - like 1mm x 5 mm.

******* finally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads