• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am no expert with discs but I will say that mine made some strange noises temporarily. Went on for a week or so (about 100 miles) and I did the "loosen the calipers bolts, squeeze the lever and then retighten" trick and it simply faded away. Not sure if that method had any impact or it went away on its own. I also had minor rotor/pad rubbing which came on out of nowhere. I did the same thing and it went away. In that case, the above "loosen, squeeze, retighten" trick works really well to re-center the pads.

Cool + easy, I'll give that a try!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At the risk of further entendre, if you squeeze harder, does the sound go away?
It's kind of hard to tell because it's so brief and when I'm coming to a stop - if I (ahem!) squeeze harder I just come to a stop and, well, then it stops. It really doesn't feel like it's a pressure sensitive issue, but again - the point where it's happening is difficult to experiment on...

TWSS away!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rented a big boy bike for closing day at the park.
pxl_20210919_203640586-jpg.1671642

Luckily someone had already had enough for the day and turned one in because my front brake pads are shot and the shops are closed so I can't get a replacement.

Very different. Just eats up the poor condition trails and brake bumps like they are nothing. Miss having a dropper and a little bit more climbing gear though.

Kinda scared to jump it... There is so much rear travel to preload to pop off lips and I'm not at all used to it.

Beautiful fall day mid mountain where there is visibility.
PXL_20210919_210442074.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210919_203640586.jpg
    PXL_20210919_203640586.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 68

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rode 21 miles today on the cyclocross bike including about 11 miles of gravel and trails. But more fun was taking my so to the bike park for the first time. He had a blast.

9E2A21BB-2D6B-4B35-9B90-0BD039213694.jpeg

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rented a big boy bike for closing day at the park.
Sorry I missed it; which park are you at? Looks like a blast. Being in FL I only get out to ski in the winter but can imagine the same parks and trails have to be a blast on bikes. I have talked with the lift operators about what it's like in the summer, at Park City they say you load the bike right on the lift. How does that work?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry I missed it; which park are you at? Looks like a blast. Being in FL I only get out to ski in the winter but can imagine the same parks and trails have to be a blast on bikes. I have talked with the lift operators about what it's like in the summer, at Park City they say you load the bike right on the lift. How does that work?
Whitefish mountain resort (formerly Big Mountain). Not a huge bike park and not as extreme as the videos I see at places like whistler, big still pretty neat for an afternoon.

Here they gave bike chairs that have a track that holds your bike (kinda like a hitch rack but with no moving pieces). You roll your bike onto it and then sit on the next chair. A staffer at the top unloads it and leaves it for you at the top.

I've also seen pictures where they have hooks or tracks on the back of the chair for 2 bikes. You lift your bike onto the back side, walk to the front and sit down. Reverse at the top.

They run the lifts much slower than in the winter so there is plenty of time.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of rain here over the last 24 hours so I switched to Dual Sport for afternoon ride. Went down to bike rack and tire was flat.

Didn’t take any forensic skill to figure out what happened. Is a tear at base of stem common? Screw on rim might have loosened allowing some movement?

BDAE271F-71C3-4C66-AE23-DB161FD35F94.jpeg

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of rain here over the last 24 hours so I switched to Dual Sport for afternoon ride. Went down to bike rack and tire was flat.

Didn’t take any forensic skill to figure out what happened. Is a tear at base of stem common? Screw on rim might have loosened allowing some movement?

View attachment 1673890

I've not had that happen to me in the past, even without the bolt on the valve however seeing how tubes are constructed, it seems like this could happen easily. Are you on tubeless tires?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Put new front disc pads on my MTB so I'm good to go there. First time doing it but it is remarkably simple--100x easier than replacing and adjusting rim brake pads. Just wipe everything down with isopropyl, pull the cotter pin, fiddle the old pads out, slide the new ones in, install new cotter pin and you're done. Bed them in on first ride by pedalling up to speed and braking evenly to a stop half a dozen times.

Went with shimano's new resin pads that are supposed to last 40% longer without going to a sintered/semi-metallic pad.

Also replaced the crappy pads on my wife's bike. Turns out I could have stolen one of hers for my bike if there hadn't been any rentals at the bike park last weekend as her cheapo brand brakes use the same shimano pads.

TIL that OEMs often spec semi-metallic (or even full sintered metallic) pads on lower level bikes since they have a much longer lifespan and low end bike users aren't likely to check their pads very often.

That actually means they might have been BETTER pads for bike park use for me--I'm new to bike disc brake tech, but it sounds like a big downside of semi/full-metallic pads is that they need to warm up before they work well. That's no biggie on a downhill trail, but it was noticable on my wife's bike that you'd get on it at first with cold brakes and it would feel like it had very little bite despite having hydraulic calipers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads