• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m getting a bit of knee pain and numbness with my new shoes too. SPD-SL with the n00b yellow cleats.

i think it’s because my left knee and foot tends to track outward (like I’m now legged on one side) and the cleat forces the lower leg to stay in line.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There’s no reason to go with cleats which restrict the float. Nothing noob about the yellow cleats.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I’m getting a bit of knee pain and numbness with my new shoes too. SPD-SL with the n00b yellow cleats.

i think it’s because my left knee and foot tends to track outward (like I’m now legged on one side) and the cleat forces the lower leg to stay in line.

As I mentioned above, rotate the cleat along the axis. Again, little adjustments can make a big difference. Also if your foot wants to track out, you move the point of the cleat in, which seems counter-intuitive until you think about it.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s no reason to go with cleats which restrict the float. Nothing noob about the yellow cleats.

I haven’t used anything but the yellow cleats. ??‍♂️

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched the video @sugarbutch posted again and found it very informative. After initially moving the cleats aft by a mm or so, I checked to see how far fore/aft they were. I decided to set them almost all the way back which was a significant move. Clearly they were fairly far forward. Another thing he mentions is that most people benefit from adjusting cleats sideways to the inside of the shoe, allowing for a few mm wider stance. My fit guy set up my Sidi's like that. You can kind of see the SPD cleats set up closer to the inside edge.

IMG_6848.jpg

So I'm happy to report that two hours of saddle time resulted in no numb toes! Thanks for your thoughts @Fueco @Piobaire @sugarbutch @UnFacconable . Worked like charm. If anyone's having issues, that video is super helpful.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No offense meant, my bike fitter specifically set me up with the yellows because he said I was a beginner.

he also painstakingly set up these cleats with all this video and laser mumbo jumbo on my gait and limb position. I think you guys are right to suggest increasing the float angle so I’ll text him Monday to get some input.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My oldest acquired a new skill this week (he’s 4 years and 3 months old); starting on the bike without assistance.

https://youtube.com/shorts/oAOT68JjbDk?feature=share
That’s awesome!!
I remember teaching our son to ride a bike and he struggled. I’d never seen a balance bike so it took a bit of work and lots of road rash.
For our daughter a couple of years later I took the pedals off like a balance bike and she was up and running in minutes. Pedals back on the next day and she tore up our rail trail from that day forward.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big congrats!!! While we're talking about little guys doing amazing things, I just have to share this - which has nothing to do with bikes but is so good I can't resist...

Equally as bad ass!!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Men's ITT World Championship...

When I saw Ganna was down only .84s at the second intermediate, I was pretty sure he was going to break van Aert's heart.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense meant, my bike fitter specifically set me up with the yellows because he said I was a beginner.

he also painstakingly set up these cleats with all this video and laser mumbo jumbo on my gait and limb position. I think you guys are right to suggest increasing the float angle so I’ll text him Monday to get some input.
Best of luck man! Get that sorted ASAP because I’m still dealing with mine

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Question: my brakes have started to squeal in the weirdest way - only at the last second or so of stopping. They never squeal under normal riding conditions - hard or light braking - just when I come to a complete stop, about the last second or two. And, worse, it's loud enough to sound like a trumpet. I am not kidding; even cars two lanes over with windows up will look my way - they think I've got a horn or something.

I should also note that my brakes seem to feel fine, if I grab them - front, back, or both, they stop with authority.

My last clue, if it is, is that I'm mostly on the hoods and, even though I have reasonably sized hands, I'm clearly not applying as much pressure as if I was on the drops at the extent of the brake levers. Still, like I said, I can operate them strongly from that position so I don't think it's that I don't have enough pressure from that position....

I believe it's slowly going away but it's still there enough, any ideas on what/where/how to clear up?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: my brakes have started to squeal in the weirdest way - only at the last second or so of stopping. They never squeal under normal riding conditions - hard or light braking - just when I come to a complete stop, about the last second or two. And, worse, it's loud enough to sound like a trumpet. I am not kidding; even cars two lanes over with windows up will look my way - they think I've got a horn or something.

I should also note that my brakes seem to feel fine, if I grab them - front, back, or both, they stop with authority.

My last clue, if it is, is that I'm mostly on the hoods and, even though I have reasonably sized hands, I'm clearly not applying as much pressure as if I was on the drops at the extent of the brake levers. Still, like I said, I can operate them strongly from that position so I don't think it's that I don't have enough pressure from that position....

I believe it's slowly going away but it's still there enough, any ideas on what/where/how to clear up?
I am no expert with discs but I will say that mine made some strange noises temporarily. Went on for a week or so (about 100 miles) and I did the "loosen the calipers bolts, squeeze the lever and then retighten" trick and it simply faded away. Not sure if that method had any impact or it went away on its own. I also had minor rotor/pad rubbing which came on out of nowhere. I did the same thing and it went away. In that case, the above "loosen, squeeze, retighten" trick works really well to re-center the pads.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am no expert with discs but I will say that mine made some strange noises temporarily. Went on for a week or so (about 100 miles) and I did the "loosen the calipers bolts, squeeze the lever and then retighten" trick and it simply faded away. Not sure if that method had any impact or it went away on its own. I also had minor rotor/pad rubbing which came on out of nowhere. I did the same thing and it went away. In that case, the above "loosen, squeeze, retighten" trick works really well to re-center the pads.

There's a TWSS joke hovering in there somewhere...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics