• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think those are segments made by people who have higher privacy settings? Not sure.

Hey, @otc, Santa Cruz might fill the "colour + subtle" for you, and based on my observations of my friend's "quiver" of SC bikes, they are ******* gorgeous.

View attachment 1669133
I saw that one (well, same frame color - I think it was a Blur) on Monday. I would agree with describing it as gorgeous, but not with subtle. It’s a rich brown and the little highlights and contrasts really stand out. The gold piston rods in the front shock most notably…

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The gold piston rods in the front shock most notably…

I'm too poor for the Kashima (tm) coat bling anyways!

I'll just have to stick with black stanchions.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a fun ride. Question from a strava newb, why are some segments hidden? I see that on my activities all the time. Yours showed several hidden as well?

View attachment 1669117

I agree with @bicycleradical

This ride, or variations of it, is my favorite ride from home. The Left Hand Trail is the best singletrack close to home, and eastbound Oxford/Nimbus is usually the fastest gravel road close to home given the prevailing winds here.

The road version has a segment with a downhill followed by a short climb that I’ve done at 34.9 MPH, and is one of the few places I’ve ridden faster than some of the local pros that I follow.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I took this pic some time ago because it is the most Florida cycling scene - representative thing:

Super flat
Random sudden rain clouds
Dodging gunfire
Drivers being assholes to cyclists in the worst way
8F291B3E-276F-4466-A3C7-EC6491BEB3D6.jpeg

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh.

Talked to Fezzari and they can get me a Large Delano Peak in 2-3 weeks. Or they can get me an Extra Large in...January or February.

I'm gonna send them my detailed measurements and see what they say, but from trying to decipher some geometry charts, I am pretty sure the answer is XL.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To use one of the most overused business jargon lines of the last decade, there really is a lot to unpack in that picture
To be clear, the cyclist homicide was from being struck and killed by a car and driver not shot as the implied irony suggests...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes I intended for that to be the punchline and by far is the biggest problem here. drivers are a serious concern here (whether you’re on a bike or otherwise) because of FL drivers’ unique blend of aggressiveness and lack of skill.

Although I suppose I wouldn’t want to get in a gun battle with motorists either. who wants to carry a 1.5lb Sig that ruins mah sleek aero profile :laugh:

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
yes I intended for that to be the punchline and by far is the biggest problem here. drivers are a serious concern here (whether you’re on a bike or otherwise) because of FL drivers’ unique blend of aggressiveness and lack of skill.

Although I suppose I wouldn’t want to get in a gun battle with motorists either. who wants to carry a 1.5lb Sig that ruins mah sleek aero profile :laugh:
That's when you need MOAR INTEGRATED STORAGE

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok boyz I’m making the transition to clipless today. Honestly pretty nervous about it. Any tips to avoid a grisly death are most welcome

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok boyz I’m making the transition to clipless today. Honestly pretty nervous about it. Any tips to avoid a grisly death are most welcome

Practice clipping in and out a lot, before you attempt anything technical. Practice with both feet a lot and it will become easy to release quickly if necessary.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ pretty much that.

Practice practice practice the motion on BOTH feet. I think a lot of those "fall over at a stoplight" beginner incidents arise when someone's gotten comfortable with the motion on their preferred foot, but suddenly their balance shifts them in the other direction.

And maybe set yourself up some fake technical challenges. Like find a climb and say "I'm gonna dismount when my front wheel gets to that root or rock" to get some practice unclipping in scenarios where you might suddenly have to.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By ‘practice with both feet’ do you guys mean practice unclipping both feet simultaneously? Or just unclip both feet, even if it’s one at a time. I rode around the neighborhood and it’s easier if i concentrate on one foot at a time. I see what you guys mean about getting tempted to just unclip one foot - it’s easier to unclip once, as well as when you have to get going again, you already have one point of contact clipped onto the drivetrain and only have to worry about clipping one thing in…

Out for a more extensive ride, brb

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics