• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I cut the cord a few years ago, so no lineup. I can’t be arsed to subscribe to Hulu or Peacock or whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I haven't had to do it yet, but my Olympic watch strategy is usually to get a VPN for a month and watch CBC coverage (or other English speaking nations). Usually has full feeds and replays of everything without ads every 5 minutes.

My building includes cable and I have been too busy this year to do anything besides watch some random NBC coverage and live streams available through the app on my cable box (which do have obnoxious ads and don't allow you to rewind if you missed the beginning)... Maybe the VPN will come out soon.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
SurfShark is like $50 for two years and has servers all over the world for streaming work arounds.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We cut the cord years ago but still pay Comcast for broadband and have Netflix, Amazon, Disney and such. I added a very inexpensive digital antenna (like $20) and we can now pick up local DTV channels and get NBC, ABC, PBS, and a bunch of indie local stations. I was able to watch all the Euro and Copa America Cup soccer games in HD on one of the local Spanish language channels. I never listen to the dopey commentators anyway and you can tell when the play gets intense by their tone of voice. Also, the "Goooooooooaaaaaaallllllllll!!!!!!!" is hysterical.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been watching the 5 min recaps on youtube of the cycling events. I can watch full stages of the World Tour events or the one day Classics but the olympics just don't have the same draw for me.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sea Otter Classic is at Laguna Seca. I know that’s not as big of a deal as a F1 track, but it was cool to ride on a racetrack.
And Laguna Seca has some real decent hills. Must have been fun.

I have ridden on most of the tracks where I've raced. Our motel was so far away last weekend, plus I had my son with me, so I didn't ride this one.
I know you are a fellow F1 fan. What kind of events are you doing?

I built up a MK7 GTI last year for track use and have been having a blast doing HPDE, track day type events (no racing). They are all relatively small, local tracks here in MA, CT and NH but I see the smart vets have a bike or scooter to get around.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And Laguna Seca has some real decent hills. Must have been fun.

I know you are a fellow F1 fan. What kind of events are you doing?

I built up a MK7 GTI last year for track use and have been having a blast doing HPDE, track day type events (no racing). They are all relatively small, local tracks here in MA, CT and NH but I see the smart vets have a bike or scooter to get around.
24 Hours of Lemons and Lucky Dog Racing League

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this in a twitter thread a few days ago. It was posted in response to some uninformed commentary regarding tactics in a bike race
IMG_6605.JPG

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Today we got the family (all 3 of us) out on a ride around the neighborhood.
We rode maybe 10 kilometers. The Dirt jumper style MTB is good for a jaunt. but i can feel that i will need a skinny wheel bike if i really wanted to go for longer rides on my own.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
No rain this morning so finally got Mrs. Piob out on her new bike! She readily admitted it's night and day vs. the old GT MTB. We just did two miles in the hood but the hood is full of 5-7% grades. She says it's much easier on the hills (700c, 32mm Conti GTs vs. 26, 45mm knobbies and easily 20# lighter) and just all around better. I'm very happy and am sure we'll be able to work up 15 or more mile rides on the cycling paths.

Also, proof of concept over, I'm ordering the new Bolt and she'll inherit my current one. :)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does Mrs. Piob care about her cycling metrics?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The only one would be tracking distances achieved. Always nice to see how you're getting more endurance. I think most everyone likes to know how fast they're going too, don't you?

And no, she's not getting a power meter. ;)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I rarely look at speed, but I have the more relevant metric of power on my display. ?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Did anyone see the British chick who did the 360 backflip?

In the BBC news article, it dropped a surprise.
Her coach is Jamie Bestwick. One of the raddest dudes to ever ride.
and when the American rider was talking to their coach, the guy in the mask?
None other than Ryan Nyquist. -BMX royalty.
It's cool to see the legends supporting the new riders.

It's a big change of profile going from 90's X-Games to the Olympics. And the riders deserve to be on the world stage. even if the legends can only go as coaches.
new legends are born.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads