• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here, but my next road and cx bikes will be disc.

I'm looking at a new bike for next year as my Bianchi will be 10 years old by then. Most steel framed touring bikes have mechanical discs nowadays. It looks like I'll either have to bite the bullet or find a bike that can mount rim brakes and install them myself.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mathieu van der Poel at the olympic XC final.

I read somewhere that there had been a ramp there in practice and van der Poel expected it to be there for the race which resulted in him misjudging the drop. At least he didn't look really badly hurt afterward.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that there had been a ramp there in practice and van der Poel expected it to be there for the race which resulted in him misjudging the drop. At least he didn't look really badly hurt afterward.
The race organizers tell the racers that the ramp will be removed for the race but he either forgot or just cased it. Either way, tough break for sure.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have discs on my mtb and they're great however I prefer rim brakes on my road bike. They work fine for me. If that makes me a curmudgeon, then so be it.
Same here, but my next road and cx bikes will be disc.
I rode my last road bike for 10+ years and figured rim brakes and mechanical shifting were perfectly fine. However, after riding discs and Di2 for 3 months now, I'll never go back.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rode my last road bike for 10+ years and figured rim brakes and mechanical shifting were perfectly fine. However, after riding discs and Di2 for 3 months now, I'll never go back.
It always works that way with gear. There is no going back. :slayer:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will remain a Luddite and eschew electronic shifting however if someone wants it, all the power to them.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will remain a Luddite and eschew electronic shifting however if someone wants it, all the power to them.

Electric shifting has serious benefits for ultra-distance cycling in that shifting is much easier once your grip strength starts to go. I love it on the road bike but am ambivalent about if for mountain or cyclocross.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Incidentally my wife loves that comic about bike clothes you posted. It's on our refrigerator now.

This is a weird thing to post on your fridge, but I guess everyone's got a fetish
1627399058541.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads