• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have an informed POV on Specialized Epic/Epic Evo vs Cannondale Scalpel/Scalpel SE? I am reading and watching a few comparos but I thought I’d also cast my net here.

i might be able to source one or the other

My informed POV is that I've never ridden either, but I've always wanted a Lefty fork if only for the lulz.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never buy a Specialized bike after what they did to Volagi, but they do make good stuff (minor hypocrisy that I use their shoes and helmets).

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this thread definitely motivated me to push my body and go for it! Thanks fam
When Covid first started and all the gyms closed I was linked “I should get a bike to exercise!”

Unfortunately the whole rest of the world thought the same thing so here I am like 16 months later still without a bike.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Covid first started and all the gyms closed I was linked “I should get a bike to exercise!”

Unfortunately the whole rest of the world thought the same thing so here I am like 16 months later still without a bike.
There is still a seriously long waiting list for most bikes it seems.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For people who bought bibs: what can you fit in the pockets? Does it have pockets? I don’t want to carry my handlebar bag anymore

Right now I carry:
Keys
Airpods
Iphone
Wallet

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For people who bought bibs: what can you fit in the pockets? Does it have pockets? I don’t want to carry my handlebar bag anymore

Right now I carry:
Keys
Airpods
Iphone
Wallet

The pockets are in the jersey.

You can easily carry all that along with a couple of energy bars, a patch kit, spare tube, and mini pump.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have discs on my mtb and they're great however I prefer rim brakes on my road bike. They work fine for me. If that makes me a curmudgeon, then so be it.

Same here, but my next road and cx bikes will be disc.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I feel for you. I already had a bike, but just decided to upgrade a few months ago and was floored when told the original model I wanted was, oh, 14 months away, as I stood there ready to buy. I got totally lucky when I came around to another model that they just happened to have one of on the showroom floor.

If it helps at all, I'm not generally lucky - that was likely my once-a-decade event.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stock is getting better but you have to be willing to check the manufacturer's sites regularly and be ready to drive a bit when one pops up. I was told I'd have to wait 6 months and pay in advance but wasn't willing to do that so I checked stores within a couple of hours and found one relatively quickly. Had to drive 2 hours but it was worth it.

Edit: I just checked Specialized and Trek websites for high-ish end Ultegra spec'd bikes in my size 56. There's an Emonda available 42 miles away and an Aethos 100 mi from me.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel for you. I already had a bike, but just decided to upgrade a few months ago and was floored when told the original model I wanted was, oh, 14 months away, as I stood there ready to buy. I got totally lucky when I came around to another model that they just happened to have one of on the showroom floor.

If it helps at all, I'm not generally lucky - that was likely my once-a-decade event.
At this point I've given up on getting a bike for now.

Stock is getting better but you have to be willing to check the manufacturer's sites regularly and be ready to drive a bit when one pops up. I was told I'd have to wait 6 months and pay in advance but wasn't willing to do that so I checked stores within a couple of hours and found one relatively quickly. Had to drive 2 hours but it was worth it.

Unfortunately, a bike won't fit in my Mini Cooper or Porsche.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kinda thinking about picking up this (the disc version) as a platform to build my new townie on:
1627336473563.png

Kinda more than I want to pay for a generic parts-bin bike, but it ticks the boxes for what I've been pondering:
- Belt Drive
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- Front and rear rack attachment points
- Room for decent size tires AND fenders. Hell--it looks like I could do a 650b/27.5 swap and put big-ol-tires on it if I wanted to.

I mean, its generic chinese cromo but it has disc mounts and a split to get the belt in--two things I can't get if I start from a vintage frameset (without resorting to welding and cutting).
The Nexus 7 isn't the best internal gear hub in the world, but the hub and shifter alone cost $200+ and buying standalone belt drive parts seems expensive AF--could be $300+ just to get sprocket/cog/belt for a DIY setup.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads