• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@patrick_b good job getting back on track; those are some good looking stats! Like you, I can get ~3 hours a week but in spurts - 1 hour always on my Sunday sprint and the rest on short early Tues + Thurs runs. Am trying to shift my schedule to add a Wed morning run and, also, since I'm now doing my old runs faster, adding like +20-30% distance.

I never thought about it like having to hit a distance quota (duh!) so you've given me something to chew on and shoot for as I'm already changing my schedule+patterns anyway. Will report back in a few weeks!

Is there a Styleforum Strava group?

This thread has done wonders for my motivation. I really enjoy reading about all the two-wheeled adventures. I've always worked from a home office but I was typically on the road or traveling every week. When I finally start traveling again, it's going to be harder to get in these weekday rides.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah, going back to work in March has killed weekday rides for me. After Labour Day I plan to remedy that and am telling my ownership I'll be in at noon one day a week so I can get in a good 30-40 mile ride during the week.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Typically, i can't ride too far, because i have the family in tow.
But i'd like to make more time.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12.3 mostly gravel and trail miles on the cx bike after dropping our van off for an interior cleaning. As you can see, the Lobster now needs a cleaning.

7D5956AE-5D98-431D-BCF3-03CB38ADC834.jpeg

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So much of the random content this channel network churns out just annoys the crap out of me.

Like...what...he's surprised someone rode 100 miles on an old bike? Clearly it wasn't a top of the line vintage bike, but people used to do that when it was new...its not like an old 10 speed doesn't still work fine if kept tuned up.

And then he goes 10x overboard and brazes on disc mounts and a damn thru-axle?

This bike could have taken modern parts as it was. I'm not hating on the idea of adding discs if you want them, but if the idea was "can I update a vintage frameset to modern" then the answer is basicallly "of course you can, and the parts literally all still bolt on. The hardest part would be bending the rear triangle wider (probably 120mm spacing)...other than that just throw on whatever fancy groupset you prefer and a nice set of new wheels. Yeah, you'll have rim brakes, but it doesn't require welding to get it done...just some allen wrenches.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have an informed POV on Specialized Epic/Epic Evo vs Cannondale Scalpel/Scalpel SE? I am reading and watching a few comparos but I thought I’d also cast my net here.

i might be able to source one or the other

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has done wonders for my motivation. I really enjoy reading about all the two-wheeled adventures. I've always worked from a home office but I was typically on the road or traveling every week. When I finally start traveling again, it's going to be harder to get in these weekday rides.

this thread definitely motivated me to push my body and go for it! Thanks fam

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads