• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a mess in the women's road race! No spoilers.

I took a break from unpacking camping gear to watch. I’ll admit though that I was more psyched to see water polo on TV this morning.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same experience here. Did a long ride on my Domane yesterday and there were several detours for construction on the trail. Hit a sandy path and had to slow way down as the bike was hard to control.
Morning rides here through neighborhoods has lots of leftover wet from sprinklers, plus it's not uncommon in FL to have fine sand collecting in corners. Both of which I'd gotten good (lucky?) at navigating at speed on the DS but I'm am skittish with the Domane. I'm at least getting faster in the clear corners so still building those skills to apply to the marginal ones.

When everything's going right, I'm starting to feel great on it; but I'm still not smooth in most things and my brake/shift muscle memory from the MTB is still fighting me too.

Also getting decent speed increases on road bike vs DS! Training for a Century ride in early fall.
Awesome! Looking forward to hearing about it!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@patrick_b good job getting back on track; those are some good looking stats! Like you, I can get ~3 hours a week but in spurts - 1 hour always on my Sunday sprint and the rest on short early Tues + Thurs runs. Am trying to shift my schedule to add a Wed morning run and, also, since I'm now doing my old runs faster, adding like +20-30% distance.

I never thought about it like having to hit a distance quota (duh!) so you've given me something to chew on and shoot for as I'm already changing my schedule+patterns anyway. Will report back in a few weeks!

Nicely done @razl and @smittycl. Impressive miles. I can easily find 3-4 hours to ride every week but 3 consecutive hours is the problem. Therefore I set a goal in July for 3 hours/week and 50mi. Fairly pedestrian numbers but good for me. I haven't ridden seriously in several years. I wish I'd gotten off ****** during Covid but can't change the past. Last year I probably road 2x/month.

My last month looks like this w/an avg speed about 16mph.

View attachment 1644066

Also first year I've used Strava and have to say I'm enjoying it tremendously. I'm only comparing my performance against myself but seeing the numbers keeps me accountable.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool story

Wondering if this will be an Olympics full of upsets as covid has messed with competition schedules and training.

Just today saw #1 world ranking women's tennis player lose. In tae Kwon do a nobody Uzbek took down #1 seed in his weight class and a 16 seed woman from the refugee team took out the #1 seed in her weight class.

I want to say the was 1 or 2 more that I'm forgetting... Maybe in a team sport.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My 13-something year old dérailleurs might be going. They now require an extra shove or two normal ones to change from big front gear to small and vice versa. Same issue with downshifting on the rear cassette, although upshifts are as crisp and immediate as ever.

I cleaned and oiled the whole drivetrain, which was sorely needed, but hasn’t fixed the problem. So it’s off to Trek this week - I have a feeling I’ll be faced with a choice of upgrading/repairing the road bike and significantly eating into the XC bike fund or…I dunno

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hope so…the front one looks a little bent, that’s why I suspect it

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a Styleforum Strava group?

And fml I couldn’t pass on this. Cheeeep

F0E97F5D-B67E-4E80-A69B-BCB649D8C663.jpeg
7C6DD3BF-9D1D-46E4-846A-FBA5266B4396.jpeg
3352C68E-EDE9-47AB-9FD2-68505B4E216D.jpeg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cheap because nobody in their right mind would ride that at high speed.

Those glued lugs are liable to fail if not in good condition... And they look sketchy AF

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, I ride a lugged CF Look and have hit 53 MPH on it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, I had a lugged CF specialized until last year...but I knew the history on it and the finish was intact, not whatever the hell that frame has been through.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, I had a lugged CF specialized until last year...but I knew the history on it and the finish was intact, not whatever the hell that frame has been through.

Did @flipstah say where he got the frame from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads