• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knocked out 40 miles today. Headed west on the WO&D Trail out to Reston, VA and back. Inching toward a Century ride by early fall.

- only real discomfort was elbows and hands still getting used to new riding position on road bike

- wearing unpadded cycling shorts but no issues

- several Bike & Pub places along the trail. Bike shop, pub and cafe all in one. Stopped for two Clif bars and an IPA

- trail ends in Purcelville, VA at 48 miles out from home. Good turn around point for a Century and will just add a some extra miles at the end.

- will definitely get the Wahoo. Checking iPhone way too annoying.

Last edited:

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preview of what’s to come
D0DA5FEF-1D67-4A9A-93A8-9982745A7261.jpeg

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Caught the end of the men's olympic road race.

Last 7km were solid, but it sounds like the whole race was pretty exciting.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caught the end of the men's olympic road race.

Last 7km were solid, but it sounds like the whole race was pretty exciting.

Mind blowing that Pogacar and Carapez place 1st and 3rd at the TDF, Wout van Aert wins the last stage and they all podium at the Olympics less than a week later.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've done my same Sunday 14mi run for about 48weeks a year for 15years or so now, so I know every stinking inch of it. Its a city route but mostly side/back roads with some traffic intersections that occasionally force a full stop. Doing well isn't just sprinting the heck out of it, but timing + traffic + and some luck. My record on my DS was 47:06 from about 4 years ago. I've had some spinal issues since that got me off my game but, earlier this year, had finally gotten back into the 47-48min range. Still, I couldn't go faster on the DS - shaving off any seconds was more about traffic timing + luck than anything else.

Finally getting good on the Domane, I shattered my record today by a full 1:23 @45:46 with an avg 17.5mph / top 29.3mph - a digital road sign flashed 31mph at me but Strava doesn't agree. Could not believe it.

For those of you in thread who are serious roadies, those numbers are likely chump change. But for me, coming at this from an MTB history, I'm totally stoked at what I can now do on pavement. And I'd say I'm still only at about 80% comfortable so far - I can't yet go super aggressive into turns with the skinny-to-me 32s vs what I could on my DS' 38s.

Seriously enjoying the starting-over-biking process and flat out thrilled with what's possible so far on a road bike. Wow.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you in thread who are serious roadies, those numbers are likely chump change. But for me, coming at this from an MTB history, I'm totally stoked at what I can now do on pavement. And I'd say I'm still only at about 80% comfortable so far - I can't yet go super aggressive into turns with the skinny-to-me 32s vs what I could on my DS' 38s.

Seriously enjoying the starting-over-biking process and flat out thrilled with what's possible so far on a road bike. Wow.
Same experience here. Did a long ride on my Domane yesterday and there were several detours for construction on the trail. Hit a sandy path and had to slow way down as the bike was hard to control. Also getting decent speed increases on road bike vs DS! Training for a Century ride in early fall.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What a mess in the women's road race! No spoilers.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicely done @razl and @smittycl. Impressive miles. I can easily find 3-4 hours to ride every week but 3 consecutive hours is the problem. Therefore I set a goal in July for 3 hours/week and 50mi. Fairly pedestrian numbers but good for me. I haven't ridden seriously in several years. I wish I'd gotten off ****** during Covid but can't change the past. Last year I probably road 2x/month.

My last month looks like this w/an avg speed about 16mph.

str07.25.jpg

Also first year I've used Strava and have to say I'm enjoying it tremendously. I'm only comparing my performance against myself but seeing the numbers keeps me accountable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads