• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may end up getting a Wahoo Bolt as I remembered the Domane has hidden buttons that syncs to a Garmin or Wahoo and you can control it hands free They are inside the rubber that covers the handles.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Made a visit to my friendly neighborhood Trek LBS. no top fuels to test ride, but I was invited to put down a deposit on a 9.8 that’s arriving in 2-3 months. That’s not too bad, I thought I’d be quoted 2022.

haven’t pulled the trigger, I still want to explore other options. Also, if the only way to try a Trek is buy it sight unseen, then that’s one huge advantage of that brand that’s lost.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a visit to my friendly neighborhood Trek LBS. no top fuels to test ride, but I was invited to put down a deposit on a 9.8 that’s arriving in 2-3 months. That’s not too bad, I thought I’d be quoted 2022.

haven’t pulled the trigger, I still want to explore other options. Also, if the only way to try a Trek is buy it sight unseen, then that’s one huge advantage of that brand that’s lost.
Just Covid supply chain stuff. Loving my SL7. Smashing bike.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may end up getting a Wahoo Bolt as I remembered the Domane has hidden buttons that syncs to a Garmin or Wahoo and you can control it hands free They are inside the rubber that covers the handles.
It's pretty cool. You can program Shimano Di2 to do different things with those top buttons. The default is control the pages on Garmin or Wahoo but you can set them to shift if desired.

I bought mine in the middle of the bike madness by stalking the Specialized website until I found one in a store within an easy drive. Trek likely has a similar feature if you are willing to drive a couple of hours. That said, I knew exactly what model and size I needed as I was upgrading.

Couple of months isn't that bad, especially since you aren't racing to get something by the time the weather changes. Living in FL has its benefits.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Remember, Trek has a 30 day, no questions asked return policy.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which one of you F***ers sold out the Rapha core jersey in dark green?! Now I gotta wait.

serious question: what’s the difference between a nice saddle + bib vs.a gel saddle?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Which one of you F***ers sold out the Rapha core jersey in dark green?! Now I gotta wait.

serious question: what’s the difference between a nice saddle + bib vs.a gel saddle?
As I understand it, the shape of the saddle and how that interacts with your sit bones and soft tissue is more important than padding. All padding will bottom out and if it's in the wrong place, you'll be uncomfortable/numb. My road saddle (PRO Stealth) barely has any padding, and it's more comfortable than the more heavily padded saddle on my trainer bike.

You MTB fellas might be interested in this video. Even if you don't care about his helmet opinions, he demonstrates some sweet skills.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the shape of the saddle and how that interacts with your sit bones and soft tissue is more important than padding. All padding will bottom out and if it's in the wrong place, you'll be uncomfortable/numb. My road saddle (PRO Stealth) barely has any padding, and it's more comfortable than the more heavily padded saddle on my trainer bike.

You MTB fellas might be interested in this video. Even if you don't care about his helmet opinions, he demonstrates some sweet skills.

Yup I get the saddle shape helps but doesn’t thebib act as a cushion defeating the purpose of the saddle?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Remember, Trek has a 30 day, no questions asked return policy.
+1 this; Since I was new to road bikes, I wouldn't have gotten my recent Domane without it. I should point out that they told me it needed to be in excellent, but not pristine condition - you can't wreck it (duh!) but all normal wear/tear is acceptable.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yup I get the saddle shape helps but doesn’t thebib act as a cushion defeating the purpose of the saddle?

I'm sure someone like @Fueco will chime in with a better answer but I think it has to do with the chamois conforming exactly to your butt and interplaying with the rigid shape of the saddle. If the padding is on the rigid saddle you don't get quite the same effect as having the padding basically adhered to the form of your butt.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You will sink into a soft gel saddle and begin sitting on the seat frame after a while. It seems counterintuitive however the firmer the saddle, the more comfortable it will be on long rides. A combination of bib and gel saddle will be worse than just a firm bicycle seat and no bib.

One time, I borrowed a bike with a soft gel saddle when visiting Florida and rode the Legacy Trail. After about an hour, I sank into the frame of the seat and was extremely uncomfortable for the hour it took me to return to where I was staying.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love this thread and fountain of information!

Last one for now: are all clipless pedals the same or proprietary? New or used pedals?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There's a ton of different style cleats. For road Shimano and Look probably own 90% of the market between the two of them. I've always been a Shimano guy. You can get new Shimano 105 for around $100, Ultegra for $150.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anyone use the speedplay lollipops? i'm always tempted by them because of the double sided access and the "not walking like a goof" thing but i've read there is some actual upkeep with them that i would 100% not do.

i have 105 pedals, because i have 105 components. only reason i might ever go above that is if i get a new bike and it has better components because i like my **** to match because i'm weird.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love this thread and fountain of information!

Last one for now: are all clipless pedals the same or proprietary? New or used pedals?

There are two major varieties of clipless pedals. There are road clipless pedals and mountain bike clipless pedals.

For road, they are fastened to your shoes with three bolts. The two main standards are Look and SPD-SL. If there are others that I missed, feel free to add them.

For mountain, they attach to your shoes with two bolts. There are SPD (Shimano), ATAC (Time), Eggbeaters(Crankbrothers), and probably some others.

The key will be to buy a shoe with the two or three bolt setup and choose your pedals from there. Pedals will come with cleats and the attachment bolts.

IMO, if you are going clipless, get mountain style. It'll be much easier to walk around when you are off the bike.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads