• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
NO POWER METERS!!!

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
105s for me because the weight difference between those and the Ultegras did not matter to me.

I have a pair of giro empire lace ups that I’m super happy with. Just really comfortable and solid. Also I think they look great.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
105s for me because the weight difference between those and the Ultegras did not matter to me.

I have a pair of giro empire lace ups that I’m super happy with. Just really comfortable and solid. Also I think they look great.

The difference for me has often been having friends who could hook me up with employee pricing. S-Works weren’t too pricey at half-price.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Sidi guy. I started wearing Dominator 2 MTB shoes in the 90's. Currently run the Dominator 10 with XTR SPD's.

@smittycl don't you look forward to adding several new gear related acronyms to your vocabulary? You'll be talking power meters, VO2 max and FTP tests by the fall.
I’m a retired Army guy. My brain is full of acronyms. At this point if I learn new ones I have to delete old ones to make room.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Too much data can be paralyzing. Why on earth would anyone want a power meter for a bike?

Certain posters, which shall remain nameless, have been after me to get one. I shall not conform.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Saw someone's laces get snagged at a very bad time while MTB back in the day; luckily didn't need to go to the hospital, but was a whisker away from it or worse. Velcro for me ever since.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoes: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/apparel-accessories/s-phyre/SH-RC902.html (I actually have the previous gen, but these are supposedly more of the same)

I installed the new chainring this afternoon, and all is well.
B09B89B9-C443-44CA-9DC8-82C5EE9BE2D3.jpeg

Last edited:

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw someone's laces get snagged at a very bad time while MTB back in the day; luckily didn't need to go to the hospital, but was a whisker away from it or worse. Velcro for me ever since.

yeah I can understand that. I’m very cautious and always make sure the laces are extremely secure in the lace garage.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thoughts from first ride on the Domane, or any road bike ever, of about 30 minutes around town, weaving through city blocks, no big open stretches.
  • very weird to be bicycling and not feel sorted and comfortable; everything is weird strange "but I'm on a bike, I bike a lot!"
  • very surprised to find I'm not out of the saddle as much as normal or that thought I'd be while transitioning. The new position seems to actually let me sit and pedal more.
  • wow, the thing feels like a well tuned sports car compared to my DualSport. I can certainly see once I getcomfortable that I'm going to be able to fly on it.
  • heck, I already felt 10%+ faster even though I was taking it easy and pedaling slower than normal. The efficiency improvement of effort to speed compared to the DS is staggering (for someone who's never ridden a road bike before).
  • pleasantly surprised to find that bumps on cobblestone streets weren't as punishing as I worried they'd be. The IsoSpeed wizards definitely delivered.
So far so good, I can definitely do this!

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is excellent feedback. I am hoping for the same experience. I love my DS but am want something faster and more fluid.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is excellent feedback. I am hoping for the same experience. I love my DS but am want something faster and more fluid.
Awesome; very happy to know my noob noodling is helping out! Good luck on yours and looking forward to hearing your experience.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have to say, while i truly feel for anyone chasing down a new bike now, i've been enjoying the current market. mainly because while i used to look at bikes and not buy one because i couldn't afford it, i can now look at bikes and not buy one because none are available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads