• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes. I just squirt wet bike chain oil on chain and cassette and spin it a few times. Ugh. Hoping Domane doesn’t require too much TLC.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sweet thanks! I’ve just been using a toothbrush and dish soap to tackle grease on the freewheel, chain, cranks and needed lube

There are dozens of degreasers that work well but I've always used the gallon jug of Simple Green. Lasts me a couple of seasons.

I'm very tempted to dry the paraffin wax method one of these days but for best results I should start with a new chain. When I wear mine out I may give it a shot.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes. I just squirt wet bike chain oil on chain and cassette and spin it a few times. Ugh. Hoping Domane doesn’t require too much TLC.

The only thing I'd add to that routine is after you spin it a few times, let it sit for a few minutes and then hold the chain in a rag/paper towels and spin it a few more times to wipe off the excess. All the lube on the outside of the chain isn't necessary, it just attracts dirt. As long as the inside of the chain is lubed you are ?.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Need to troubleshoot the new rear tire because it was completely flat after sitting for a couple days. Hoping that riding on it and distributing the sealant will take care of it. Used soapy water at the valve to check for leaks and it looked good. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've done the paraffin a lot. I have a little potpourri crock pot from a thrift store with a block of paraffin in it. Big enough to fit a chain in 2 stacked coils (like how they come in a package).

Take the chain off, shake it around in a jar filled with simple green a few times and then drop on top of the wax and plug it in... Fish it out when fully liquified, let drip, and then once I is sorta cool, run it back and forth over something to bend all of the links.

Always felt it worked pretty well, lasted a while and didn't pink up dirt... But... Lately I've just been squirting on a bunch of Rock and Roll Gold and wiping off excess. Much easier to do quickly when the chain looks like it needs is even if each application doesn't last as long.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a friend put it, “With carbon it’s not a matter of IF but WHEN it will crack, fail and/or explode.”

4ABCCBA8-86D6-4313-8E7B-AA529B3453A3.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I rode the bike maintenance struggle bus yesterday. Installed new GRX rear derailleur and new cables (which necessitated new bar tape). Took forever as I made all the rookie mistakes.
0D1A2EAE-3B27-40F4-9F5C-6B574F9DD63B.jpeg
D0DBAD33-72D9-4DCD-9F1B-40AB265C7E8C.jpeg
28857549-F2BD-4AF1-8B36-8D643094CAC1.jpeg
There was daylight when I started.

Also patched the rear tire that got pinch flatted and bent the ding in the rim back into shape, but air is leaking there. And the rear tire on the road bike still isn’t holding air. Not loving tubeless this week…

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Rear derailleur & cables isn't a quick job unless you've done it a lot. Well done ?.

I still butcher bar tape. I've learned to only buy the kind that you can unwrap a few times. The ones with super adhesive strong aren't for me. I need several tries to get it right.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Biden gifted BoJo a one off custom made in Philly.

_118905910_198041359_4159710777429814_6994237075448175827_n.jpg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Deflating rear tire mystery solved:

34FCE202-7ED4-4A01-BDED-45C86EB865C0.jpeg

Air is leaking through the sidewalls all the way around. Not a ringing endorsement of Specialized’s quality control…

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, a question: I used one of the conventional chain sizing methods (wrapped around big chainring and big cog, bypassing the derailleur) and it’s actually a link or so short by that measure, but in the small chainring and either of the two smallest cogs, the chain has zero tension and sags. 50-34 up front, 11-42 in the back.

Thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads