• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, you could skip the chain lube if you are willing to accept a little more noise and worse performance... Just have the shop throw a new one on there more often and lube it when doing other services.

Tires you still kinda want to know unless you're gonna be the little ***** who has to call his wife for a ride after hitting a piece of glass.

Edit: and I guess you could pay someone else to charge your electronic shifters... But hopefully that's your butler's job, not something you take the bike to a shop for.

I don’t know about yours, but my butler outsources the bike maintenance.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing that worries me about those flat pedals with pins is I could see some gory pedal acupuncture happening.
My city bike has flat pedals with sharp spikes which have left my left calf covered in scars, but it's still the best arrangement for when you can't really wear bike shoes. Just pack Dettol wipes for after the ride :p

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you don’t enjoy bike maintenance and can afford to have someone else do it, well, that’s what money is for.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
?
The issue these days is the backlog at the lbs for service. This is why you should follow the n+1 theory of bike ownership.
That's small timer stuff. You should have a bike mechanic on staff. :)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you ride a 57-58cm or 17-18” frame, feel free to ship your bikes to me for service. I’ll be sure to test ride them thoroughly before sending them back.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's small timer stuff. You should have a bike mechanic on staff. :)
Just get the mobile repair guy to show up in his van and make the repair at your place. Briefly met this guy at the trail last weekend:

You can even start your own franchise of an established brand if you don't want to figure everything out yourself:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Front tire is inflated! Went to my Trek LBS. They reseated the valve, put a small strip on rim tape in one spot, and voila. ****** QC Zipp!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outside the public library in Brattleboro, VT. I suppose if that's going to work anywhere, it would be VT.

vt.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
20210518_170751.jpg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There it is!! Just like on a car...nice wheels make all the difference, especially when so eye catching. Nicely done, glad you got it all sorted. Don't be too hard on Sram/Zipp in your google review :-D.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There it is!! Just like on a car...nice wheels make all the difference, especially when so eye catching. Nicely done, glad you got it all sorted. Don't be too hard on Sram/Zipp in your google review :-D.
Are Trek’s allowed to have wheels that don’t say “Bontrager?” ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics