• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By being rationally minimal, rather than loading up the bars unnecessarily (especially those "but I gotta have 'em for better performance!!! 'aero' bars"...) like a LandRover fully kitted out for Paris-Dakar.
The irrational part is taking a Land Rover to the Paris Dakar, everyone knows the Pajero has the most wins ;) @Journeyman

In the opposite spirit: just bought another N+1, am 9kg over the stated load limit, but rode fine in the store. I'll just have to baby it and hope the limit was set by the engineering department rather than marketing (which would determine which side of the 40% safety margin it lands on). Think it's time to N-1 a vintage that I am particularly fond of but that I rode so little its chain has fully rusted...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
@patrick_b did the rims come with valves or did you need to purchase separately?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@patrick_b did the rims come with valves or did you need to purchase separately?

They came with valves. I removed them to use tubes for a week until my tires came in. Put them back in and they are working great. They have a removable core so you can inject the sealant through the valve but I just poured 2oz in manually.

Tires are solid. Only about 20 miles on them so far but they were super easy to install. Needed a single hit with a tire lever to get the 2nd bead in. They were actually easier than the Specialized tires from my oem wheels.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got out on my MTB last night. Finished work at 630 so I had about an hour of good light.

I hear a yell from my wife while I'm in the shower, "Your riding gear is covered in ticks!"

I ended up bringing several ticks in with with me from the woods. Yuck! Even knowing they aren't the Lyme carrying deer ticks, they still horrify me.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend posted this on Facebook.

B9684B83-B847-43FF-ABE1-D718D2D6A32D.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I convinced wifey to agree to storing new Domane in my study. It's just off the kitchen, though, and she was a bit grossed out “this isn't a garage!" Bike is way too expensive to put in apartment bike cage.

Rack just arrived today although bike itself is still hovering out there ethereally.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I convinced wifey to agree to storing new Domane in my study. It's just off the kitchen, though, and she was a bit grossed out :this isn't a garage!" Bike is way too expensive to put in apartment bike cage.

Rack just arrived today although bike itself is still hovering out there ethereally.

In the first two houses my wife and I lived in together, we stored the bikes on racks inside right next to the front door. I think that’s more a commentary on how often we rode than anything else.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the first two houses my wife and I lived in together, we stored the bikes on racks inside right next to the front door. I think that’s more a commentary on how often we rode than anything else.
Hipster.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I convinced wifey to agree to storing new Domane in my study. It's just off the kitchen, though, and she was a bit grossed out :this isn't a garage!" Bike is way too expensive to put in apartment bike cage.

Fine effort on your part. What did you end up with for a rack/display piece?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I might have pulled the trigger on my Zipps.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fine effort on your part. What did you end up with for a rack/display piece?
Place doesn't have enough support for a tension rack so I got a floor model. Wifey ordered an eBike from BluJay and I'm trying to get her to store it on the rack as well.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So, rims arrive tomorrow, rubber sometime over the weekend. I could not find my size Ultegra discs (160mm) but I did find Dura Ace. Is the current gen DA compatible with the 105 calipers? Eh, for now I'll just move over my 105s.

So how likely am I to break something when it's 40 nM?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads