• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who will most likely be buying a new bike in the next year or two, the SRAM rival etap is exciting. Nice to see wireless shifting coming to lower-midrange bikes. I’m partial to shimano so maybe we’ll get a 105 version of the di2 as well. That 3k spot for me would be awesome.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who will most likely be buying a new bike in the next year or two, the SRAM rival etap is exciting. Nice to see wireless shifting coming to lower-midrange bikes. I’m partial to shimano so maybe we’ll get a 105 version of the di2 as well. That 3k spot for me would be awesome.
I saw the eTap feature when I was Trek-shopping. I figured some 15 year old would remotely turn off my bike as I rode by. :cool2:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Going to order my Zipps at the end of May. I want them built up with the cassette and discs in place. Any suggestion for online stores? Competitive Cyclist maybe?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to order my Zipps at the end of May. I want them built up with the cassette and discs in place. Any suggestion for online stores? Competitive Cyclist maybe?

For a purchase that big, I’d go LBS, but that’s me. We also have a ton of great shops around here. I’ve order from Competitive Cyclist, Colorado Cyclist, Performance, Supergo (am I dating myself), and Jenson USA. I’ve had no problems with any of them.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Here's their sanctioned dealers off the webpage:

1619142792231.png

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's their sanctioned dealers off the webpage:

View attachment 1598179

I’ve been happy with CC for my recent orders and they’ve been helpful when I’ve had questions (FYI backcountry is part of the same company so anything they have CC will have). Maybe give their customer service a call to see if this is an option to have everything put together for you?

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@otc Thanks for the input.

Curious about all of your thoughts on bike computers. I've used the same Polar wireless bike computer/HRM for well over 10 years. I don't use the HRM much (actually have no idea where the chest strap is) but the damn thing still works. Gives me time/riding time, avg speed, distance, max speed, etc. All the things I'd ever need. I thought about upgrading to something like the Garmin models but wonder if it makes more sense to just use my phone and Strava.

I'm a couple rides deep into the free trial for Strava and think I'll pay for it. I don't want to mount my phone on the bars so I'll likely keep the old cyclometer until it dies and just keep my phone in my jersey pocket.

Update on the bike I sold: the guy ghosted me about my pedals. We went back and forth the day before about the bike not having pedals, he was going to bring some, then he couldn't and asked if I could throw pedals on just for the test ride. We messaged 5-6 times about pedals. I reached out to ask if he'd ship them back to me on my dime and I get radio silence. Grand scheme of things, they were 20 year old SPDs that I can buy used on ebay for $20 but still. I'd at least respond.
Got a Garmin a few years ago and it's completely improved the riding experience. Outside of ride metrics, the ability to download and follow routes with prompts is key. There's a little bit of faffing to sync with phone, HRM etc, but the Garmin Connect app makes it pretty easy. The Edge 130 is a brilliant little device, though I moved up to a 530.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a Fenix so can't comment first hand, but the other thing it has (6X, anyway) is a heatmap of routes from other users, which allows you to pick the one best suited for your sport. @smittycl have you given this feature a try?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can understand the reasoning. I usually lock the screen on my phone and just hit the button when I want an update. Also, I'm trying not to be a complete gear-head and collect more electronics! This was me yesterday using MapMyRide. I think I'm definitely at the limits of my City Bike. Managed to maintain 14mph (still getting passed by dudes on road bikes) on the paved trails but, of course, seriously slowed down when I went urban.

View attachment 1597214

That's really cool software but I'm even more impressed with the ride! My rides top out at about 90 min for the most part and many are right at the 60 min mark. The fact that you are doing 30 mi rides on a city bike is great. I can only imagine the lengths you'll go when you get your new bike. Hats off to you sir.

I like competitive cyclist as well. As @kjb mentioned, Backcountry is the same company. I bought new shoes not long ago (Sidi Dominator 10). I'd signed up for their emails to get 15% off and didn't realize that certain brands are excluded. I jumped on their chat feature to inquire and the CS rep applied the discount manually.

You may be able to do the same with the Zipps. 15% of $2200 may be worth a shot.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a Fenix so can't comment first hand, but the other thing it has (6X, anyway) is a heatmap of routes from other users, which allows you to pick the one best suited for your sport. @smittycl have you given this feature a try?
I have not played with the mapping feature on the phone. I just start it at beginning of ride, pause if I stop for chow, and then save/upload at the end. I live urban and it's near-impossible to get lost around here with rivers, roads, and monuments everywhere. Worst case I just use the phone's compass function to bumble back to a recognizable terrain feature! I just use my iPhone on the handlebars. Never out of cell coverage either.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not played with the mapping feature on the phone. I just start it at beginning of ride, pause if I stop for chow, and then save/upload at the end. I live urban and it's near-impossible to get lost around here with rivers, roads, and monuments everywhere. Worst case I just use the phone's compass function to bumble back to a recognizable terrain feature! I just use my iPhone on the handlebars. Never out of cell coverage either.
Found it! It's also on the watch if you're on a 5 Plus or later.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like competitive cyclist as well. As @kjb mentioned, Backcountry is the same company. I bought new shoes not long ago (Sidi Dominator 10). I'd signed up for their emails to get 15% off and didn't realize that certain brands are excluded. I jumped on their chat feature to inquire and the CS rep applied the discount manually.

You may be able to do the same with the Zipps. 15% of $2200 may be worth a shot.

they did this for me too! the rep i spoke to said most cycling stuff is not subject to discount because of demand, but they also manually took 15% off my giro empires when i ordered from them. again, giving the the CS a call worked wonders, super nice people.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supergo (am I dating myself)

Wow! I haven't thought about Supergo in years. They were the first of the big superstore, pre-internet, mailorder bike shops that I remember. I was always jealous at the So Cal (?) guys that could pick stuff up from their local Supergo. The prices were outstanding. Supergo brings back a lot of memories.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! I haven't thought about Supergo in years. They were the first of the big superstore, pre-internet, mailorder bike shops that I remember. I was always jealous at the So Cal (?) guys that could pick stuff up from their local Supergo. The prices were outstanding. Supergo brings back a lot of memories.
( raises hand )
The Fountain Valley store was 2 stories of awesomeness.
They used to have midnight madness sales.
People would shop at midnight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads