• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I can't seen to find the integrated storage on this. :(

20210414_171906.jpg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After my visit to the LBS this week, I browsed my way over to the Specialized site to check stock. My LBS only had entry level or top end Roubaix ($3K or $13K). No models available to online but I found the exact bike I want (right color even) in a store about 100 mi away in CT. I get down that way for work so it would be an easy jaunt for me.

As much as I'd love a custom (last bike I'll ever buy) kind of bike, buying from a big brand is so economical when it comes to the grouppo. This is the Roubaix Expert which is full Ultegra Di2 for $5K. Interestingly my current bike is also the Roubaix Expert from 2008. Fairly certain I got my money's worth out of it and it fits and rides exactly as I like.

Decisions, decisions...I'm sure it won't last.

rou2.jpg

roubaix.jpg

If I start talking up the safety concerns of a 13 year old CF frame at dinner tonight, I figure by sunday my wife will be so sick of hearing about it she'll tell me to buy it just to shut me up. If anybody has any tales (fictional or not) about exploding CF frames, I'm all ears.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I start talking up the safety concerns of a 13 year old CF frame at dinner tonight, I figure by sunday my wife will be so sick of hearing about it she'll tell me to buy it just to shut me up. If anybody has any tales (fictional or not) about exploding CF frames, I'm all ears.
My usual course of action as well!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post-ride Guinness and gratuitous cycling watch photo. I have a Garmin sports watch that tracks everything short of sperm count (I’m sure they are working on that) but prefer the simple dial that dive and pilot watches offer. Especially since I need reading glasses.

D9B94FCD-3400-4775-9B0C-ACB051485DAA.jpeg

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is a 6 speed cassette compatible with a 7 speed chain? Can't seem to find a 6 speed chain (outdated).

Or should I replace the cassette?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is a 6 speed cassette compatible with a 7 speed chain? Can't seem to find a 6 speed chain (outdated).

Or should I replace the cassette?

Short answer:
If your cassette is a Shimano (iirc it is) cassette, generally a Shimano 6/7/8-sp chain will work fine. Plus, as you point out 6-sp chains are very rare now.

Longer answer:
As cassettes and chains evolved (more gears) the only place to change dimensions to accomodate those gears (also why dropout spacing changed from 126mm to 130mm) was to reduce the sprocket spacing (6-sp cassettes have 5.5mm spacing, 7-sp have 5.0mm spacing, etc., now down to 12-sp ~3.65mm spacing); the thickness of the sprocket teeth themselves; and the thicknesses of the chain plates plus lengths of the chain pins.

So, ideally, 6:6, 7:7, etc., but there is some slack both in 6/7/8 and in 9/10/11. However, it is usually not recommended to use a thinner (in your case the 7-sp) chain on a thicker (in your case the 6-sp) cassette, whereas the other way (i.e. 7-sp chain on 8-sp cassette is generally +/- OK).

I would recommend trying a 6/7/8-sp Shimano chain. You should be OK.

But, the worn and I assume very old 6-sp cassette means your new chain will wear out much more quickly engaging it, and then start damaging your chainrings as well, so you really should buy a new cassette and a new compatible chain at this point. The drive-train will be smoother, more reliable, and cost less in the long run.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New bike day. I battled a freak April snowstorm to drive 2+ hours to buy this today. Last Roubaix Expert within 200 miles. The service guy was telling me that they just got word a week ago from Specialized corporate to not sell to out of state buyers. He thought it was a ridiculous directive given the supply and demand for bikes these days.

Hydraulic disc brakes and Ultegra Di2. What an upgrade!

DSC01067.jpg
DSC01083.jpg
DSC01087.jpg
DSC01089.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New bike day. I battled a freak April snowstorm to drive 2+ hours to buy this today. Last Roubaix Expert within 200 miles. The service guy was telling me that they just got word a week ago from Specialized corporate to not sell to out of state buyers. He thought it was a ridiculous directive given the supply and demand for bikes these days.

Hydraulic disc brakes and Ultegra Di2. What an upgrade!

View attachment 1594843 View attachment 1594844 View attachment 1594845 View attachment 1594846
Totally cool!!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's beautiful but...what about the integrated storage situation?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Dammit! I need to get my rims and Ultegra upgrades now so I'll have something to show.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won’t be long before you are showing us your new steed! Looking forward to seeing your booze storage solution ?.
Feels like August is ages away. Hoping it comes earlier. They, of course, billed me for it already. Wankers.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads