• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can now virtually guarantee I won't flat for the rest of the season because I bought a new CO2 inflator. Have to admit Trek's integrated storage is very cool.

IMG_6378.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before the Litespeed I had a Paramount with Reynolds tubes. It was one of the handful of Paramount frames made by Waterford in WI.
I wish I had a picture of it. It was beautiful.

I sold it to a collector years later. You know those crazy old guys who drool over steel and lugs ?.
Interesting that you could get good money for it. Reynolds tubing is one of the best way to build a super light road bike on a budget. Loads of frames lying around for next to nothing in every anglo country I've lived in...

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

aragon765

Reaction score
Good discussion above re: custom builders. Just popping in quick to amplify the comment above about No.22 Bicycles. If anyone is looking for very high quality, custom/stock Ti bike, I would give No.22 a serious look. They are built by (mostly) old Serotta builders/finishers and are doing bikes that are unique (100% in house - check out the 3D-molded Ti seat topper (!!)), super high quality and very well received (several awards from NAHBS, and many others). I'm not directly related to the company or sponsored (unfortunately) but do know the guys involved and they are super solid humans. 100% would endorse.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Back in the 90s there was this organized, four day ride in Adrian, MI called the "Ididaride." It was a long weekend thing and on the Saturday the 75 and 100 mile routes led to Michigan Speedway. They had a big SAG stop in the infield and you could circle the track. NGL, it was pretty cool and damn are those curves banked.

Tidbit: Hillsdale College is nearby.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not an F1 track (it almost became one, but lost out to Phoenix in voting), but I’ve ridden the track at Laguna Seca (near Monterey, CA). The Sea Otter Classic is held there.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not an F1 track (it almost became one, but lost out to Phoenix in voting), but I’ve ridden the track at Laguna Seca (near Monterey, CA). The Sea Otter Classic is held there.
Laguna Seca for Superbikes was one of my all time favorite trips.
Flew in a 4 seater plane to Monterey, had a house rented on Cannery Row, and since I had an Aprilia back then we watched all the races from the Aprilia compound.
The major benefits being free food and no-wait bathrooms...

emptym

Reaction score

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped my one of the better LBS's in the greater Boston area. As expected, their racks are depleted but they do have some stock. A couple of 2021 Roubaix models in my size (56), one with 105 group for $3300 and an S-Works w/Dura Ace for $13000. Nothing in between. Also a handful of Tarmac models but I'm not after that geometry.

I looked at the BMC Teammachine which is the more aggressive geometry (like the Tarmac) and the BMC Roadmachine, their endurance/mid-reach which is pretty nice. They had a couple of 56's with Sram Force etap in the $5000 range. Not a bad deal.

Also a decent selection of Pinarello but all were the aggressive race geometry. They had two Moots demo bikes, road and gravel. Stunningly beautiful of course. The other in stock stuff was previous model years but nothing that meets my needs. It was nice just to be in a bike shop after a year.

For now, my 10+ year old Roubaix does everything I need it to but I'm still tempted to make an appointment to talk to the shop that works closely with Seven.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wandered in to a good LBS the other day and they actually had more stuff than I thought--they had something along the line of that $13k s-works, but they also had a handful of lower end city bikes just there for the taking. Must have been limited sizes though, because I overheard multiple people either trying to put in orders or lamenting being unable to get stuff in the hybrid/fitness/city genre.

They *still* had this Jim Merz edition Sequoia sitting there:
1618358281190.png

Someone at the shop must have a special attachment to it, because I can't see why they haven't discounted and sold it at this point. Still priced at the full $3750 and been sitting there since well before covid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads