• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
SL5 in my colour scheme and we'll be like Eskimo brothers!

emptym

Reaction score
I'm surprised by all the recent love for carbon fiber. It scares me:
This is pretty old, but left an impression:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Following up on a couple of my prior posts.

After recent discussions here (thanks @smittycl), I realized there was a chance I wouldn't be able to replace my stolen bikes before my 1-year depreciation recapture period ends. I went back to my insurance company with some details around the impact of the pandemic on bike prices and to my surprise they agreed to increase my insurance payout. I still will try to buy replacement bikes by september but if I'm unable to it's not the end of the world. Still aiming to get a couple of Defy Advanced's, but will look at the Roubaix, Synapse and other similar carbon bikes. I might even go with the Domane SL4 to honor the inspiration for my increased payout.

Went for another mountain bike ride today (still hitting some new segment PRs on Strava which has been a nice little ego boost) and noticed that the ignition switch has some damage to it. So I guess that whoever screwdrivered my door was able to get into the truck and then tried to boost it. Whether they gave up because they got spooked for they had no idea how to actually hotwire a car, I can't really say, but I guess I live to fight another day. I did decide it was a good idea to add comprehensive insurance coverage so I will get a little something something if the car is stolen. Maybe I should get THE CLUB?
Glad you seem to have it sorted out. A while back (how I categorize everything pre-Covid) I agonized over how to insure my Rolex Submariner. I bought it in 2000 and it was now worth 3x what I paid for it. I found (with help from the watch threads here) a jeweler in DC who gave me an appraisal for the current retail price. Sent that in and my insurance company accepted it.

Was planning on submitting receipt for new Trek and adding to the rider with my specific high value items I guess. Hopefully it gets stolen before depreciating too much!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't want a carbon bike from 2007, but I'm not concerned about contemporary carbon bikes from reputable manufacturers. Of course defects are possible, but the likelihood of such a failure is much less than the likelihood of typical crashes. I would think twice about buying a used carbon bike from a stranger, though.

Given that little offs and dings are more likely off-road, I am inclined to stick to metal for a gravel bike.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want a carbon bike from 2007, but I'm not concerned about contemporary carbon bikes from reputable manufacturers. Of course defects are possible, but the likelihood of such a failure is much less than the likelihood of typical crashes. I would think twice about buying a used carbon bike from a stranger, though.

Given that little offs and dings are more likely off-road, I am inclined to stick to metal for a gravel bike.

My CF bike (Look) is from 2007 and is doing just fine... :stirpot:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm my Madone is from about that time too ?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, if I was getting a new road bike right now, it would be a custom steel frame with mechanical shifting and disc brakes.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Averaged 13.1mph today for a 13mi ride all but 1.8mi on gravel. The same loop 5 weeks ago took me 15 min longer and I needed a rest stop. Not bad for an old guy on an old bike.

Came across this London custom framebuilder and couldn't stop drooling. The Reynolds steel combined with CF really is gorgeous. Bike Appreciation at its finest.

IMG_2361.jpg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't given it much thought but my CF bike is 12 years old. I can find some solace in the fact that it's a reputable maker and not an entry level bike but I understand so many CF frames are made in the same factories. That article about Giant being sued in 2018 is terrifying. The rider was seriously injured.

My US made, titanium framed MTB however, is literally bomb proof even at 20+ years old. I suppose the CF bars are the weak link but the frame/fork should last forever.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Age alone is not a good determinant, and 2007 is hardly ancient history.

There are plenty of "vintage", significantly older than 2007 (ie beloved Colnago C40s, the great Look 585s and Giant TCRs, Cyfacs, Calfees, etc.) carbon-fiber framesets which are still perfectly fine. An older c-f frameset might in fact be much more robust than some contemporary open-mold "lightweight wonder", and still as sturdy as any current model from even reputable manufacturers.

Buying a used bicycle from a stranger requires rigorous due diligence regardless of material, age, or brand.

One of my bicycles is Joost Posthuma's Rabobank Extreme-Power specifically for Paris-Roubaix 2008. The frameset was near impeccable upon arrival and is still going as strong as ever, 13 years and many kilometers after production, under continuing heavy use certainly since I bought it in ~2010. It will be good for years to come, Fortuna willing.

Colnago 2008 E-P P-R_04a_Joost Posthuma.jpg

Colnago 2008 E-P P-R_00_DS.jpg

Colnago 2008 E-P P-R_00_NDS.JPG

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An older c-f frameset might in fact be much more robust than some contemporary open-mold "lightweight wonder", and still as sturdy as any current model from even reputable manufacturers.
Completely agree on the open-mold stuff. I’m also not ready to entrust my life to one of the new Chinese brands like Winspace. I think they’re perfectly capable of making quality gear, but I have no desire to be part of that vanguard to save a few bucks.

Speaking of saving a few bucks and carbon fiber, does anyone here have Hunt wheels?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for blowing my plan of “needing” a new bike for safety reasons. How do I sell my wife on a custom bike now?

The custom steel frame is likely cheaper than a high end CF frame. A custom Rock Lobster is $1750-2050 depending on materials. My Look 595 frame was $2500 when I bought it on sale at half price.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for blowing my plan of “needing” a new bike for safety reasons. How do I sell my wife on a custom bike now?
Simple.

Because, "new" versus "old/pre-owned*" and/or "safety reasons" are not your justification-reasons, not at all. Just avoid those hornet's nests entirely. Rather the proper pitch, to your wife, is:
"But, hon, the shop and the builder and the internet and even StyFo all say I need custom, just for the proper geo, hence this bicycle here is what I have to have. I can't help if it that's the price for better comfort and performance! Plus, you know what they (and you too, admit it) always say, sugar...'fit fit fit for your bits bits bits'...!"

*N.B.: Check out the glories at Steel Vintage Bikes if you want to drop serious bucks on great old bicycles.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely agree on the open-mold stuff. I’m also not ready to entrust my life to one of the new Chinese brands like Winspace. I think they’re perfectly capable of making quality gear, but I have no desire to be part of that vanguard to save a few bucks.

Speaking of saving a few bucks and carbon fiber, does anyone here have Hunt wheels?
Yes, there really is no need to go to brands (regardless of country) that are relatively new with no proven long-term c-f track record. I fear the manufacturing qc and/or compromises too, and have no interest in saving relatively marginal sums on crap-shoot quality and durability. Plus, one can't test ride those things. There are plenty of very established brands out there, used and new, that are much more worthy of one's time and research.

I have ridden Hunt wheels but do not own them. They were fine. Long-term reviews from those I know who do own Hunts are good. On cycling websites Hunts have no major negative issues I read of and seem generally praised. November are also mentioned in that market/context, along with a few others, if one really feels they need c-f wheels.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics