• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photography and cycling, two of my interests combined perfectly.

NYT is free but you may have to register if you've used up all the freebies.
A lovely post and it is true that cycling in England (outside London anyway) is enjoyable as described. Winding country roads with fairly decent tarmac and almost no cars; random pubs dotted around, usually on a river or pittoresque setting for a lunch stop; shade and wind protection from trees and hedges. The winter weather makes up for the lack of hills: when you're fighting 50-100kph winds it is not dissimilar to climbing l'Alpe d'Huez. I got wind chill just looking at the photo of the Seven Sisters.

His native Australia is easily one of the most stunning and enjoyable places to cycle, especially road (once you get out of the metro areas). Its issues are unique to its fauna (human or otherwise), fun anecdotes can be found here: https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17399 such as the latest "angry brown snake snapping at bike" sightings.

Having a super weird day. As relates to biking, I was driving back from a mountain bike ride when I heard some honking and people driving by flagging at me. Turns out my bike bounced out of my bike rack. Before I got in the car, I double checked that the bike was secure and it's a pretty secure rack design so I'm not quite sure how it came loose.
I had the same experience returning from the Blue Mountains to Sydney on that giant potholed Western "Motorway" with all three lanes at 130kph bumper to bumper. The rack shook so much the back of the bike detached from the rack and flew into the wind, flapping like a tail.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Here's a shot of father and son's bikes. from last weekend.
DSC01556.JPG

Mine: newly rebuilt forks are on. Ready to roll.
His: First brand new bike. he wanted a bottle holder.
It's actually light, which is nice.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything more frustrating that not being to remember where you stored something bike related from last season?

My road bike was on the trainer all winter. For some reason I thought it prudent to remove the saddle bag (with a tube, tire levers and CO2 inflator) before I brought it into the house. I've been looking for the damn thing on & off for weeks. I've had a replacement in my amazon cart for three days knowing that as soon as I buy it, I'll find the original.

Getting old sucks.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course I flatted today just a few hours after I posted about not being able to find my spare tube and air. Had to call my wife to pick me up.

Edit: the culprit was in fact a pinch flat.

82DA8A19-BB32-40FE-BA5B-E382E7A74D6C.jpeg

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ And I complained about having to walk 1.5 mi after flatting to get a ride home.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
"It had never crossed our mind it would be such a terrifying experience"

Have they never heard of (or traveled on) a glacier before?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ And I complained about having to walk 1.5 mi after flatting to get a ride home.
I'm sure you know this but it's generally a bad idea to walk a rim with a punctured tyre, you can bend it out of true or even damage it enough not to be rideable (or to fail spectacularly when you least expect it). Less of an issue than riding it, which I've done in the past (but knowing I'd just buy a new wheel).

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you know this but it's generally a bad idea to walk a rim with a punctured tyre, you can bend it out of true or even damage it enough not to be rideable (or to fail spectacularly when you least expect it). Less of an issue than riding it, which I've done in the past (but knowing I'd just buy a new wheel).

I had no idea. It was actually a crushed stone path most of the way. I'll take a look when I change the tire before today's ride.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is the mechanism by which the wheel will be damaged? It's being subjected to far less load than when being ridden.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"It had never crossed our mind it would be such a terrifying experience"

Have they never heard of (or traveled on) a glacier before?

Chris Burkard is a well known adventure photographer and videographer specializing in cold weather stuff. I first encountered his work around surfing in the Arctic. He’s probably just being dramatic.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
OK, cuz that read like a bunch of minimally prepared yahoos followed a snowmobile track into highly committing terrain and got lucky.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the mechanism by which the wheel will be damaged? It's being subjected to far less load than when being ridden.
Good question, especially with a light road bike. The damage I sustained was more bent rim and foreign objects entering the tyres. Out of true happened only when I sat on the bike and rode it home with a missing spoke. I'll try and dig up the article I read about catastrophic wheel failure.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following up on a couple of my prior posts.

Am I missing something or have bikes shot up in price the last few years?

I bought my dearly departed bike (Giant Defy Advanced 3) almost exactly 4 years ago. List price was $1550 (I paid $1400). Same bike was $2050 for the 2020 model year, with better brakes but otherwise just about identical. This year they aren’t offering that level so I would need to bump up to the Advanced 2 for $2500. Same situation for Mrs Unf (she had the Liv Avail which is the women’s version)

I hope Biden fixes this tariff BS in January. It’s not really gonna change my life, but still pretty annoying. Especially since whatever bike I get is just going to get stolen again lol.

I have a year to buy something so I can recover the delta between replacement value and depreciated value as determined by the ins co. Last time it was with a prior insurance company and they were really awesome about it. Will be interesting to see what happens this year.

After recent discussions here (thanks @smittycl), I realized there was a chance I wouldn't be able to replace my stolen bikes before my 1-year depreciation recapture period ends. I went back to my insurance company with some details around the impact of the pandemic on bike prices and to my surprise they agreed to increase my insurance payout. I still will try to buy replacement bikes by september but if I'm unable to it's not the end of the world. Still aiming to get a couple of Defy Advanced's, but will look at the Roubaix, Synapse and other similar carbon bikes. I might even go with the Domane SL4 to honor the inspiration for my increased payout.
Having a super weird day. As relates to biking, I was driving back from a mountain bike ride when I heard some honking and people driving by flagging at me. Turns out my bike bounced out of my bike rack. Before I got in the car, I double checked that the bike was secure and it's a pretty secure rack design so I'm not quite sure how it came loose. Then when I got back to the car I noticed that someone had recently destroyed my driver side keyhole (looked like they jammed a screwdriver in). Not sure if they were looking to steal my ****** old ride or just break in to steal my ... kid's car seats ... bike helmets and shoes? Good news is that the bike frame seems to be fine and the damage was limited to scrapes on one pedal and the handlebar ends.

Went for another mountain bike ride today (still hitting some new segment PRs on Strava which has been a nice little ego boost) and noticed that the ignition switch has some damage to it. So I guess that whoever screwdrivered my door was able to get into the truck and then tried to boost it. Whether they gave up because they got spooked for they had no idea how to actually hotwire a car, I can't really say, but I guess I live to fight another day. I did decide it was a good idea to add comprehensive insurance coverage so I will get a little something something if the car is stolen. Maybe I should get THE CLUB?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads