• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I haven’t pulled it out yet to asses the damage but wondering if Imma need to replace some rubber already. Was planning on doing a degrease and lube tomorrow and will find out then.

38EFCDF3-5893-4039-A267-36C726DEBCA4.png

Alexidb

Reaction score
Have chains gotten more expensive or something? I need some random chains--an 1/8" chain and a 3/32 generic 6/7/8 speed and everything is like $14.

You used to be able to get a nice KMC with master link for $4-8 from somewhere like Niagara Cycle.

Last time I bought that exact chain, it was $3.94...It was years ago and I understand inflation and there's still a general bike/part shortage but...almost 4x increase? wtf?
Companies are cracking down on retailers selling well below MSRP. Niagara Cycles was infamous for selling $100 wheels for a $1.50 margin 15 years ago.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wasn't Niagara just putting the qbp catalog online with a tiny markup?

If you could wade through their mess of a site, you could get all of the basics cheap. Wald, sunlite, etc. I restored and flipped a handful of bikes in college using a bunch of cheap cables/bar wraps/etc. from Niagara.

Alexidb

Reaction score
Wasn't Niagara just putting the qbp catalog online with a tiny markup?

If you could wade through their mess of a site, you could get all of the basics cheap. Wald, sunlite, etc. I restored and flipped a handful of bikes in college using a bunch of cheap cables/bar wraps/etc. from Niagara.
Yeah QBP and J&B. I know they got in some hot water with J&B for selling wheels that they were paying like $50 for and were supposed to retail for about $100 for $51.50.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven’t pulled it out yet to asses the damage but wondering if Imma need to replace some rubber already. Was planning on doing a degrease and lube tomorrow and will find out then.

View attachment 1510208
I bet you could put a patch on the inside of the tire and be totally fine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I bet you could put a patch on the inside of the tire and be totally fine.

Thanks for that idea but when I pulled it out the thorn itself was far more needle like than it appeared based on what was visible. Once out the hole in the rubber was basically a pin prick, so I just tossed a new tube in, but I do have another hoop on order from Amazon for inventory.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went for a ride today and chafed the **** out of *******.

Stopped to pee and must not have gotten everything situated right. It was cold and I had already been riding for a long time, so ******* tip must have lost some feeling like my fingers and toes and I didn't feel what was happening and readjust my bottoms...

Never done this before and now that it is warmed back up, it is NOT pleasant.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
@sugarbutch, I've become a convert to the Black Bibs. I have two sets of their thermal knickers and perfect for the winter temps. One of their thermal tops is due in Monday. I only ordered one due to wanting to double check sizing.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@sugarbutch, I've become a convert to the Black Bibs. I have two sets of their thermal knickers and perfect for the winter temps. One of their thermal tops is due in Monday. I only ordered one due to wanting to double check sizing.
I need to try out their actual bibs. I have the road suit and a jersey (schwag from Phil’s Cookie Fondo), but no bibs. I just bought a thermal jersey, race-fit jersey, and bibs from Twin Six, so probably not for a bit.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Their thermal jersey is slim but not "aero" and they suggest upsizing depending on your build so I went 2XL. Looking forward to seeing how it fits.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went for a ride today and chafed the **** out of *******.

Stopped to pee and must not have gotten everything situated right. It was cold and I had already been riding for a long time, so ******* tip must have lost some feeling like my fingers and toes and I didn't feel what was happening and readjust my bottoms...

Never done this before and now that it is warmed back up, it is NOT pleasant.

18CBB72C-0FDF-4957-A849-942E4572F296.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Apropos I never used any sort of chamois butter back in the 90s but am finding some pre-ride lube to be a godsend these days.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have so far had no chafing issues. ?? Well, in this go-round. My first big ride when I was 18 was an MS150 from Houston to Austin. I had flown in to do it with my dad, so I was riding a bike I'd never ridden before. I also wore regular underwear and shorts. 100 miles. Never again.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do have joaks, but for this topic it feels like tripping a toddler...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think some of you here might like the classic bike in this video, particularly @flipstah and @Thrift Vader

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads