• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A little Google-fu led me to find many are having this problem and it's cured by clearing your cache or using a different browser/machine that's never been to the site. I just ordered their thermal knickers (they're based on the "plus" bibs) as I froze my butt off this morning.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A little Google-fu led me to find many are having this problem and it's cured by clearing your cache or using a different browser/machine that's never been to the site. I just ordered their thermal knickers (they're based on the "plus" bibs) as I froze my butt off this morning.
ANGTFAT. This is probably enough to keep me from buying from them again...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Took the 50lb bike share bike to the pump track

TediousElatedBlacknorwegianelkhound-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'll hold off probably until next fall but really thinking about the new Zipp 303 Firecrest wheelset.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I totally agree that right now it's all about the engine and not the bike. That said, when I changed out the Bontrager rubber the bike came with for the new Conti 5ks? Light and day. I'm waiting until next fall just to keep working on the engine, but I think at that point, a substantial upgrade to the wheelset would be just the thing.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Given what I've seen of Herr Piobaire, quantifying progress will be up his street and motivate him to work on getting stronger in a structured way. Of course a power meter isn't necessary, but I think he'd get a lot out of it.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally agree that right now it's all about the engine and not the bike. That said, when I changed out the Bontrager rubber the bike came with for the new Conti 5ks? Light and day. I'm waiting until next fall just to keep working on the engine, but I think at that point, a substantial upgrade to the wheelset would be just the thing.
And never underestimate the power of wanting to get out there and ride because last night I installed this new bad-ass gizmo...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Butch, you're not wrong about my quantitative nature but it's manifests a bit differently with my athletic pursuits. With my weights I've refused to do 1 rep max or reps until failure for several years due to the aging disease. I will add or shed weights without hesitation for any given motion depending how my body feels.

With cycling I'm using distance I can comfortably achieve as my main metric at this time. Sure, I look at my heart rate, my average speed, but right now I just want to know how many miles my legs can handle and not have me blowing up. I'm also doing things now like standing up and charging up shorter hills, trying to keep that extra gear up, just to build my power, but really it's just about distance at this point.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Butch, you're not wrong about my quantitative nature but it's manifests a bit differently with my athletic pursuits. With my weights I've refused to do 1 rep max or reps until failure for several years due to the aging disease. I will add or shed weights without hesitation for any given motion depending how my body feels.

With cycling I'm using distance I can comfortably achieve as my main metric at this time. Sure, I look at my heart rate, my average speed, but right now I just want to know how many miles my legs can handle and not have me blowing up. I'm also doing things now like standing up and charging up shorter hills, trying to keep that extra gear up, just to build my power, but really it's just about distance at this point.
I'll check back in with you in a couple of months... ?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Needed to adjust the L screw on my front derailleur and the limit screw is already pretty damn close to being max extended by the LBS assembly person. How do I get that reset so I'll actually need to tighten the L limit screw? Tighten the cable with the barrel adjuster to see if that will supply the extra tension needed?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And ask for a cable puller for Christmas, they're handy...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got on the geared road bike for the first time since I bought the mtb (I know this because I had to swap out the CX tires for gp4000s and replace the pinch flatted tube that inspired me to buy the mtb)

So fast! But it took a little bit to get used to the fact that I can't just ride over anything I want and that while it has good brakes, they are nothing like the hydraulic calipers and giant rotors on the mtb.

PXL_20201129_211658316.jpg

PXL_20201129_212051532.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have chains gotten more expensive or something? I need some random chains--an 1/8" chain and a 3/32 generic 6/7/8 speed and everything is like $14.

You used to be able to get a nice KMC with master link for $4-8 from somewhere like Niagara Cycle.

Last time I bought that exact chain, it was $3.94...It was years ago and I understand inflation and there's still a general bike/part shortage but...almost 4x increase? wtf?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads