• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
That almost seems *too* cheap. Is it that the class 2 motor setup is actually cheaper because it doesn't have to back itself into "assist-only" mode?

Hub drive, 350W motor, minimal bells and whistles, tight margins. I wonder what the margin is on those $14,000 ebikes from Specialized.

And yes, a throttle seems like a cheaper component to build than the pedal assist drivetrain would be.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Are you going for just a throttle or throttle/pedal assist combo?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I don’t think we’re going to have a lot of options to choose from - the throttle requirement cut down the options dramatically, and wanting to try it in person cuts it down even further. Pedago has a dealership about 45 minutes out of town, we’re going to try to get there this week.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, you know The Shat recommends 'em.

I see people on them doing 17-18 miles an hour both coasting up a grade without losing speed and also pedaling around 30-40 rpm with no effort at that speed so it must have both.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Big breakthrough in the Marzocchi forks for the Norco.
I had so many frustrations with my forks and finding replacements.
Then? I found THE guy.

This dude Mark is setting me up with Minty replacements of my original forks, with choices of stickers. and some Canti mounts for the 1" headset forks i got here to put on the wife's bike.
**** yes! He's hooking it all up for a great price too!

So even though i don't have them yet? Problem solved.
Check out his site. He's the guy for forks for your project bikes.
Not a paid endorsement, i'm just so stoked.:slayer:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's all the rage with the cycloscenti.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love oldshovel videos. So good!

After riding the Phoenix after several sessions, it looks like I made the rear brake cable a bit too long so it has sloppy grip. Adjusted it and running very well! Thanks all for your help and patience. I almost gave up but you all kept me going.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Took the wife to a Pedego dealer over the weekend (her longest trip since early March - an hour's drive out of town). She enjoyed the bikes and found a potential fit for her needs. She needed to build up some confidence but I was having a blast just tooling around at full throttle with my feet in the air :cool:

The bikes themselves are practically K-Mart level quality, with a commodity electric motor (hub mounted in most of their models), and a boutique price tag. The base model we are looking at is $3,000, for another $1,000 it comes with shock absorbing forks and some other doodads. The business model seems to be brand specific dealerships with high touch customer service and high price tags.

Luckily Avenant bikes are 1) half the price and 2) repped here in town. We're going to try those next.

The big decider may be something pretty subtle, though: the Pedego has the option to start from stationary with the throttle only, useful if you're not very practiced at getting a bike moving (and these things are heavy). The Avenant does not offer that feature, for safety reasons. I learned that myself during my test ride - at one point I managed to turn the throttle while I was off the bike, which almost ended badly for my crotch.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Betting on Yamaha

You have lost your bet.

DO YAMAHA POWER ASSIST BICYCLES HAVE A THROTTLE?
All Yamaha Power Assist Bicycles are pedal assist only and do not have a throttle.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm kind of in love:

36 mph on throttle alone, in "race" mode. I like the note: "Only on private property", because that's faster than ebikes are allowed to go in the US.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I had a bike as a kid that looked rather like that, right down to being red.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of in love:

36 mph on throttle alone, in "race" mode. I like the note: "Only on private property", because that's faster than ebikes are allowed to go in the US.
I found one that fully equipped goes 47mph with an 80 mile range.
With all the bells and whistles, it's over $13K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads